Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DarkStar50

Total Hockey Files Bankruptcy

I am very excited for what the future holds with our integration with Hockey Giant and Total Hockey. I look forward to meet all the new employees from Total. I have already met a number of the HG guys over the last few months and the help we have offered each other has been great and I assume that will be the same with Total. This forum can be a great place for feedback and suggestions on what we can do to improve or what we need to keep doing. 

This should be a great thing and I look forward to the future. 

I just wonder how much of an effect this might all go back to Bauer corporate making the decision to go public. The IPO and how it effected their business model, which in turn effected the business model of the big box stores that ultimately led or not, perhaps other causes, to the bankruptcy of TH and the effects we see daily. I don't know if the first action is completely related to this. I'm just curious on anyone's opinion that is willing to share.

It could. The problem a lot of companies have with being public is that they're overly driven by stock price and immediate shareholder returns. This pushes them to strive for faster bottom line growth than their particular industry can support and the drive for short-term satisfaction of shareholders ends up killing them in the long-term.

I think when company goes public, the public gets more smoke screens and mirrors instead of actual product. The end user pays more for less. When company is ran by bean counters, it becomes about getting rid of competition instead of competing. Now it is down to two players in both, retail and in manufacturing. Bauer is also making attempts to open outlet stores which will compete with the retailers... Watch out for Bouer Experience stores coming up near you...

47 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

I think when company goes public, the public gets more smoke screens and mirrors instead of actual product. The end user pays more for less. When company is ran by bean counters, it becomes about getting rid of competition instead of competing. Now it is down to two players in both, retail and in manufacturing. Bauer is also making attempts to open outlet stores which will compete with the retailers... Watch out for Bouer Experience stores coming up near you...

I agree, I'd be leery of expanding because when bauer goes to more and more Experience and Outlet stores, they won't need the LHS middlemen anymore.  Then likely CCM will follow suit.  Boom, more bankruptcies.  I also wouldn't be surprised of a Bauer Amazon deal in the future. Then Monkey, Giant and the rest fail.

30 minutes ago, DarkStar50 said:

Isn't Bauer already selling apparel direct on Amazon? 

I am sure they are selling plenty of things through Amazon. Things like t-shirts, socks, laces, runners, training pants, insoles etc.  But their main product such as Skates, Sticks, Gloves, Armor, pads, etc, can not really be sold through Amazon yet as these things need a bit more of a touch and feel. This is really is the only obstacle between Bauer and internet sales. This can be done however through the experience store, somewhere you can go and fiddle with things, figure out what you need and then go order it through the experience store or Amazon or what have you.  I have done that with HockeyMonkey. I went there, fiund the skates that I like by touch, ask them to get me size 10R,, guy went to that back and said all we have is 11R. I put that on, yes it fits the way I want except a bit long, instep is right, width is right... Then I went home and bought it from hockeymonkey.com in the correct size. This can apply to sticks, helmets and anything else.

5 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

I am sure they are selling plenty of things through Amazon. Things like t-shirts, socks, laces, runners, training pants, insoles etc.  But their main product such as Skates, Sticks, Gloves, Armor, pads, etc, can not really be sold through Amazon yet as these things need a bit more of a touch and feel. This is really is the only obstacle between Bauer and internet sales. This can be done however through the experience store, somewhere you can go and fiddle with things, figure out what you need and then go order it through the experience store or Amazon or what have you.  I have done that with HockeyMonkey. I went there, fiund the skates that I like by touch, ask them to get me size 10R,, guy went to that back and said all we have is 11R. I put that on, yes it fits the way I want except a bit long, instep is right, width is right... Then I went home and bought it from hockeymonkey.com in the correct size. This can apply to sticks, helmets and anything else.

Do you even think about this stuff before you type it?  You just said that Bauer won't use Amazon because "these things need more touch and feel" and yet earlier in this thread - and in he next sentence -  you espouse the virtues of buying online. Don't you realize the inherent hypocrisy?

15 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Thanks for the clarification on the PIT market, Matthew. I wasn't sure about the Pure locations closing down as we didn't get that information. 

And thank you for the kind words. I'm sure our paths will cross soon and I look forward to meeting you, and if there's any questions you may have, please don't hesitate to contact me; store phone number is listed on our stores site. I'm sure you'll extend the same courtesy to me. 

Thanks! And absolutely. If there is anything I can help with at all, please don't hesitate to call me directly at the store. The number is 412-564-5135 (hope it's okay if I post that).

May i ask which one you go to.  The one I have by me is great. very knowledgable staff, great product selection, and awesome customer service the best in WNY Sure they dont always have everything at that exact moment but they are willing to go the extra mile to help find it and get it. I have to say that some of these companies that go bankrupt are part of their own problem too. I have been reading this thread and many people want to blame the manufacturers for to many offerings to fast. While that is true, trying to carry every sku in the hockey industry is a recipe for disaster. So yes you may say your not a fan of Pure Hockey because they dont have what u are looking for there is a reason those two store you referenced about in your post are now under control of Pure.

12 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Do you even think about this stuff before you type it?  You just said that Bauer won't use Amazon because "these things need more touch and feel" and yet earlier in this thread - and in he next sentence -  you espouse the virtues of buying online. Don't you realize the inherent hypocrisy?

Not sure how this is a hypocrisy. Someone earlier asked how Bauer doing public did and may affect the industry and I just given an example of how experience store is a viable route for Bauer (and others) to take in effort to maximize their revenue. I am sure you are aware of that not long after going public, Bauer have began planning opening their "Own The Moment" stores, which appear to be a step towards an experience store if not already. They actually opened 3 of these stores already and plan to open another few in the near future.. Bauer says that the Own the Moment stores are there to compliment regular retailers such as Monkey Sports and Hockey Giant... Not sure how opening Own The Moment store 2 miles away from TotalHockey, have complimented the TotalHockey.... Is the intent for  you go try the gear in Bauer store, then go to Total Hockey to actually buy it? I find that hard to believe.

At the moment there are only 2 Own the Moment stores. Boston and Minneapolis. Toronto will open in 2017 but PSG would love to get out of that given their current problems. However, PSG could not get out of the Toronto leases and are stuck with the financial commitment. Any future plans for OTM stores are a long ways out from happening. PSG needs to get their house in order first.   

TSG Enterprises Acquires Total Hockey Stores and Websites

Struggle for balance between e-commerce and retail stores drives deals for Hanna Andersson, Jet.com and Ashley Stewart

Hockey and lacrosse equipment retailer TSG Enterprises LLC has scooped up Total Hockey Inc. and its 22 retail stores and three e-commerce websites.

TSG Enterprises, the self-described largest hockey and lacrosse retailer in the U.S., now has 54 stores and seven e-commerce sites under the Pure Hockey, Hockey Giant, Pure Goalie, Commonwealth Lacrosse/ComLax and Total Hockey brands. The acquisition gives the retailer access to new markets Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Maryland, Utah and Colorado, as well as strengthening its presence in its existing markets, says David Nectow, TSG president.

St. Louis-based Total Hockey closed some of its retail stores before the sale to TSG, which is headquartered in Holliston, Massachusetts. TSG will keep Total Hockey’s management team and continue to maintain an office in St. Louis.   

While TSG’s online sales have been growing relative to its in-store sales over the years, the company have been able to “weather the storm” better than other retailers besieged by the consumer shift to online shopping, says Matt Rosenthal, TSG’s retail markets director. That’s partly because hockey equipment sales and fitting requires more in-store service than other types of retail business.

The Total Hockey acquisition shows TSG’s commitment to an omni-channel retail approach, with a continuing emphasis on brick-and-mortar stores, Rosenthal says. Before the Total Hockey deal, TSG had stores in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Texas, California and Wisconsin.

Recent M&A involving retailers refocusing on e-commerce in the face of struggling brick-and–mortar store business have included L Catterton acquiring children’s apparel retailer Hanna Andersson LLC from Sun Capital Partners Inc.; Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE: WMT) agreeing to buy the Jet.com Inc. ecommerce business to compete with Amazon.com Inc.(Nasdaq: AMZN); and Invus Group LLC acquiring a majority stake in plus-size fashion retailer Ashley Stewart Inc. from Clearlake Capital Group and FirePine Group.

7 hours ago, Kgbeast said:

Not sure how this is a hypocrisy. Someone earlier asked how Bauer doing public did and may affect the industry and I just given an example of how experience store is a viable route for Bauer (and others) to take in effort to maximize their revenue. I am sure you are aware of that not long after going public, Bauer have began planning opening their "Own The Moment" stores, which appear to be a step towards an experience store if not already. They actually opened 3 of these stores already and plan to open another few in the near future.. Bauer says that the Own the Moment stores are there to compliment regular retailers such as Monkey Sports and Hockey Giant... Not sure how opening Own The Moment store 2 miles away from TotalHockey, have complimented the TotalHockey.... Is the intent for  you go try the gear in Bauer store, then go to Total Hockey to actually buy it? I find that hard to believe.

I am well aware of the Bauer stores and the longstanding discussion about them.  My point, that you fail to understand, is that you contradicted yourself.  Read back what you wrote.  Give it some thought.  Can't help you much more than that and I don't plan on getting into a protracted debate.

OTN stores are most likely going to be limited to a few select markets just due to the sheer size of the store, and the amenities. It's not like they are going to be popping up everywhere. When it's all said and done were probably looking at 5-6 accross two nations. 

Me and my crew finished Ann Arbor's physical closing yesterday.

We still had customers stop by periodically as we were doing it; we didn't ignore them and went outside to tell them what was happening. 

The TSG guys I've been working with throughout the process were really great guys. 

8 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Me and my crew finished Ann Arbor's physical closing yesterday.

We still had customers stop by periodically as we were doing it; we didn't ignore them and went outside to tell them what was happening. 

The TSG guys I've been working with throughout the process were really great guys. 

Any idea what the fate of the Denver stores is? I'm about 35 minutes from both and don't want to drive there and have them be closed. (I hate talking on the phone) Haha. 

47 minutes ago, slaghockey said:

Sad to hear Ann Arbor closed. Going to miss Jose for sure. Is he still with Pure/Total whatever it is now?

Yeah, as stated earlier in the thread, Jose is going to Novi. Darren will be in Troy with JR. 

5 minutes ago, smcgreg said:

Yeah, as stated earlier in the thread, Jose is going to Novi. Darren will be in Troy with JR. 

Thanks for stopping by while we were clearing the store out.  Sorry the Diet Coke was frozen!

8 minutes ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Thanks for stopping by while we were clearing the store out.  Sorry the Diet Coke was frozen!

Haha....  Geez, you guys were melting and give me a frozen pop.   I felt guilty taking it. 

Anyway, it was a sad sight seeing that store being emptied out.   I'm sure I'll end up driving to Novi and even Troy fairly regularly.  It will be hard to resist staying away, despite the drives.