Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

enis750

Custom vs OTR Skates

so a lot of the high end skates these days (1X/1S, Super Tacks, Mako's etc..) are pushing the $1000 mark 

brand new OTR, and don't have any "connections" to get them cheaper while they are current stock

most of them will require baking and punching out to get "prefect" (if you can call it that) which is all fine and dandy

but they aren't made for your feet 

step into the world of custom aka VH and the price point starts at $799 CDN ($614 USD)  

if you don't go too crazy off the wall w customization (which is still pretty cool) you can get a pair of skates for under $1000 w taxes and shipping

is there any reason to NOT get a pair?

Ive been through the VH thread a million times, front to back

but for those of you choose to go the OTR direction, I ask why?

have a connection to get cheaper? Have normal feet that don't require custom skates? You have them now instead of a 2-3 wait time? You all deal w foot pain? 

I am on the fence what to do myself, as I have a pair of Bauers (X Shift Pro - Source SMU) that I just can't get right on my feet

it been since Dec 2015, 20-25 skates on them, and the seam where the boot meets the toe is tearing my big and pinky toes apart 

curious about what everyone is doing, as it seems VH is growing to me a much larger company and more guys in the show are wearing them 

In my mind at least in Canada, anybody who is ready to spend $800+ on skates might as well pay the extra $100 custom fitting fee and get a skate that is definitely going to fit perfectly. Not to mention other options that can be modified.

VH isn't the only company that offers customs, CCM and Bauer do as well. 

If your close to a fit center I would go try them on and see if you notice the difference in fit. If you dont go with OTR and maybe a model or 2 down to save coin. If you notice a difference then order them. Most fit centers will have a 3 D scanner for more accuracy coming in the fall. As well as another very very cool option not available anywhere else hopefully Sept 1st.

But you have to go with what you feel best in!

3 minutes ago, adam14 said:

In my mind at least in Canada, anybody who is ready to spend $800+ on skates might as well pay the extra $100 custom fitting fee and get a skate that is definitely going to fit perfectly. Not to mention other options that can be modified.

VH isn't the only company that offers customs, CCM and Bauer do as well. 

Yes but Bauer and CCM are at 949 plus 100. VH is 899 holder and runner a little bit better price wise. Strictly from a price stand point. BUT you have to go with what feels the best as I just mentioned. If you try on another brand and it doesn't feel right then keep going till you find the best overall fit then look at custom if need be.

im 6+ hours away from a fit centre, and 10+ from Winnipeg itself, so no way to try them on first

but do you really have to?

I mean if they are custom fit based on measurements and pics, should they not be a "perfect" fit?

guess my other concern is when I need to get them baked and possibly a few hot spots punched out, how the LHS feels about this and what they charge 

3 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Yes but Bauer and CCM are at 949 plus 100. VH is 899 holder and runner a little bit better price wise. Strictly from a price stand point. BUT you have to go with what feels the best as I just mentioned. If you try on another brand and it doesn't feel right then keep going till you find the best overall fit then look at custom if need be.

Ultra tacks are significantly less than 949 and will be available for custom, not to mention holders and steel can get swapped out without issue.

I was just trying to make the point that if you're already committed to a significant investment for skates, what's the 100 dollars more for everything you could want/ need in terms of fit.

just my .5c: I was one measured directly by the bauer rep for customs, when the skates arrived 2 months later they did Not fit At all!
Everything, and I mean literally everything was wrong! I could not even put one skate on! width was wrong, length was wrong etc

so I ended up just taking the closest fitting stock model, and altering the length slightly to accommodate for my differently sized feet. that's all - not much customization in that...

maybe my experience was not representative, but it's still alarming given it was the rep who did the measurements?!

I'm sure if JR does the fitting it works out much better but I wasn't overly impressed...

1 hour ago, SolarWind said:

just my .5c: I was one measured directly by the bauer rep for customs, when the skates arrived 2 months later they did Not fit At all!
Everything, and I mean literally everything was wrong! I could not even put one skate on! width was wrong, length was wrong etc

so I ended up just taking the closest fitting stock model, and altering the length slightly to accommodate for my differently sized feet. that's all - not much customization in that...

maybe my experience was not representative, but it's still alarming given it was the rep who did the measurements?!

I'm sure if JR does the fitting it works out much better but I wasn't overly impressed...

Its my 2 cents and penny for your thoughts. Clearly you think highly of your opinion. Lol

All jokes aside most customers crazy foot problems are resolved with customs. Can't plz everyone. In my experience anyways.

1 hour ago, All Flash said:

Its my 2 cents and penny for your thoughts. Clearly you think highly of your opinion. Lol

thank you for your valuable contribution. You clearly have too much time on your hands typing pointless responses.

Oxygen thieves like you should be discontinued - just like the penny was years ago.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:31 AM, enis750 said:

I am on the fence what to do myself, as I have a pair of Bauers (X Shift Pro - Source SMU) that I just can't get right on my feet

it been since Dec 2015, 20-25 skates on them, and the seam where the boot meets the toe is tearing my big and pinky toes apart 

There are many people that have that issue with Bauer's, the toe box tearing up your toes.  The answer is to try a different manufacturer for something else with a different fit. 

It's the reason I wear CCM's.

6 minutes ago, SCBlueLiner said:

There are many people that have that issue with Bauer's, the toe box tearing up your toes.  The answer is to try a different manufacturer for something else with a different fit. 

It's the reason I wear CCM's.

I tried :(

I loved the Jetspeeds, but there is this ridge on the insidside of the foot that is there that kept bugging me

tried pushing it out but it made my foot numb after a skate, otherwise I set of those w TUUKS would have been incredible

I returned them w the comfort guarantee they had, for the Bauers I have now

still not #winning tho

I tried to see if Bauer would do anything for me, and this is the response I got:

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to email Bauer. We are sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with your skates. Bauer’s warranty on the skate boot is 90 days from the purchase date and covers manufactures defects only.   Regrettably, as you are outside of the 90 day warranty time period, Bauer would be unable to replace your skates. Bauer does not replace skates for fit issues.  Each of our skate models is made to fit the different foot anatomy’s. The Vapor skate models are made for a more narrow foot.  If you have a wider foot, the Nexus skate model would be better suited to your foot anatomy.  Fit issues are not covered by the warranty and it is important that consumers try on the skates to ensure proper fit prior to purchasing their skates. Once skates are sharpened or used, exchanges or refunds are not permitted.  Our recommendation is that you try to sell your skates to recoup some of the money that you have spent on them and purchase another model that will accommodate your foot model better. 

Regrettably, this is not a defect or warranty matter and we would be unable to assist you with your skate fit issue.

Bauer Hockey,

Natalia

Warranty Consumer Direct Representative

I mean I get what she's saying, but this wasn't a fit issue

I WAS fit for the Vapors by the store, and I have been wearing them the better part of 12 years

the damn boot / toe cap is tearing my foot apart! 

Outside of the big toe and top of the pinky toe are your problem areas? There are a couple of solutions, some long term and some you have to fit each time you skate. 

- 1mm or 2m thick closed cell neoprene, cut a small piece to sit over / outside the toe and tape in place. I used 1mm thick for the pinky and 2mm thick for the big toe.

- silicon gel pad, cut and tape in place on toes

- silicon gel toe pads for hammer toe, bunnions etc. Just slide them onto your toes each time you skate

- silicon gel pad or closed cell neoprene, cut and glued to inside of boot

- half booties

- Powerfoot performance inserts (see thread in this forum) help also, especially removing that negative space at the top of the toes therefore it helps to stop the foot moving around in the boot.

I've used all of these options and they all work, it just depends on which one you want to go with long term.

On 7/12/2016 at 2:07 PM, adam14 said:

Ultra tacks are significantly less than 949 and will be available for custom, not to mention holders and steel can get swapped out without issue.

I was just trying to make the point that if you're already committed to a significant investment for skates, what's the 100 dollars more for everything you could want/ need in terms of fit.

My understanding at one of the shows is that Ultra Tacks Custom would be 1049.00

On July 13, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Vet88 said:

Outside of the big toe and top of the pinky toe are your problem areas? There are a couple of solutions, some long term and some you have to fit each time you skate. 

- 1mm or 2m thick closed cell neoprene, cut a small piece to sit over / outside the toe and tape in place. I used 1mm thick for the pinky and 2mm thick for the big toe.

- silicon gel pad, cut and tape in place on toes

- silicon gel toe pads for hammer toe, bunnions etc. Just slide them onto your toes each time you skate

- silicon gel pad or closed cell neoprene, cut and glued to inside of boot

- half booties

- Powerfoot performance inserts (see thread in this forum) help also, especially removing that negative space at the top of the toes therefore it helps to stop the foot moving around in the boot.

I've used all of these options and they all work, it just depends on which one you want to go with long term.

some of these seem like ok options, but Im not really into putting something on my foot or INTO my skate every time I use them - seems like a huge pain IMO (no pun intended ;) )

no other problem areas "per se"

they really just are not that comfortable of a skate for me, which is odd as like I said I've been in Vapors for a very long time w zero issues

Im considering the Super Tacks, but something inside me is saying "why spend $999 on retails skates that I can make work" when I could get a pair of VH that are actually meant for me

But on that same note, if the Super Tacks don't work out or I don't love them, I can at least re-sell them

the VH I would be stuck with, and NO ONE is buying custom skates second hand, or at least for a decent price, all things considered

I just want my feet to not hurt anymore ...... 

On 7/19/2016 at 10:51 PM, enis750 said:

Im considering the Super Tacks, but something inside me is saying "why spend $999 on retails skates that I can make work" when I could get a pair of VH that are actually meant for me

But on that same note, if the Super Tacks don't work out or I don't love them, I can at least re-sell them

the VH I would be stuck with, and NO ONE is buying custom skates second hand, or at least for a decent price, all things considered

I just want my feet to not hurt anymore ...... 

Actually if your foot is not to odd its pretty easy to rebake a VH skate for a similar foot. I had my own Sample 7's I used lying around when an Ex-NHL guy came in and his kid needed skates. He heated mine and skated unreal. So well so he led the USHL U16 camp in Buffalo. Said skates came back his skates came in and he did say his felt better but the sample skates were far better than his old ones. Then Friday an ex Olympic and Canadian figure skater turned Power Skating coach was recommended to come see me and well if you check my Instagram you can see him do a Jump in the skates after we worked on profiles. We worked on his profiles to make them like his figure skates! So I can say beyond a reasonable doubt if your skates are not to whacky of a fit we can resell them no problem!