Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Breaking bad habits of longer sticks

I do a lot of fast twitch shots. I can have a puck in a position and with a snap of my wrist I can get a good shot off. Oddly enough I don't really push my shaft into the ice almost at all. Pucks are at my side when I shoot, not even at the back foot and as a left shot in usually getting my right leg off the ice for the shot. My shots are getting predictable in my league though it seems. 

Interesting topic.  I currently use a BC10 blade in an apx2 shaft, that comes up to my chin on skates.  (I'm 6'2")  

I score most of my goals shooting or leaning off the 'wrong' foot, so toe curves work great for me.  

A few months ago, I aqcuired a used pro stock Fontaine stick that was several inches shorter than my usuall length.  The curve is very similar to a P14, except the lie was way lower, even lower than any lie 5 retail stick I've seen.  I tried to put an extension on the end, but the only one I could get to fit only added about 3/4", so the stick was still significantly shorter than normal.  

I found that the low lie combined with the shorter stick worked really well for me.  I could shoot lazers with that stick, and my stick handling improved immediatly.  

When I shortened the length on my BC10 sticks, my shot suffered significantly.  I  stopped using the pro stock stick, as I can't seem to find low lie toe curve sticks.  

I assume that the lie was the biggest variable, but the curve and overall stick weight plays a role as well.  

12 minutes ago, 60PlusWinger said:

I do a lot of fast twitch shots. I can have a puck in a position and with a snap of my wrist I can get a good shot off. Oddly enough I don't really push my shaft into the ice almost at all. Pucks are at my side when I shoot, not even at the back foot and as a left shot in usually getting my right leg off the ice for the shot. My shots are getting predictable in my league though it seems. 

You should be using a low-kick stick.  It should increase velocity and quicken release.  Get your hands further in front of you to generate power and shift the puck to the toe without having to stickhandle.  Pushing your hands ahead will rotate the blade around the puck to put it on the toe.  It really not a pattern that works with getting off quick wrist flicks while maneuvering through traffic because of how you have to get your hands away from your body (except in toe drags that lead directly to shots - this blade rocks for that).  I'm also going to suggest you try the new version of the 1X.  The new cross-laid fibers will make it easier to load (which was my problem).  The Bauer rep at the local demo watched me shoot and suggested I try it.  He said I'll actually be able to load it, unlike any version in the past even in a 77 flex.  I mentioned the lack of pop and velocity on my shots with my P88 77 flex 1N.  He also said with the new tech, I should be able to go to 87 flex 1N and still easily load it, which should improve velocity.  He was absolutely right.

I'm a little confused as to how you are shooting though.  If you are a left shot, and getting your right leg up, then rolling your wrists and getting full wrist shots will be very difficult since you can't shift your weight that way.  If that's what you are trying to do, you are going to be unsuccessful and need to work on your technique.  Off-leg shots, like you are describing, are best suited to push your hands in front of your body and use a push/pull motion to generate flex.  Take a look at this video.  It was helpful to me to learn how generate shot power using this method.  The P28 works very well with this technique once you learn to get your hands way out in front.

1 hour ago, chippa13 said:

With hockey gear, I have always been a proponent of getting the equipment that fits your game and not forcing your game to fit your equipment.

I totally agree. It's just a question of how soon you know if something fits or not. Sometimes the difference is like flicking on a light switch, and you know immediately. Other times, it's like pulling an all-nighter to finish a project. Sometimes, finding the fit-match between one's gear and one's body takes time. Sometimes there are benefits that make you want to stick with something and see if it'll allow you to get further with a little more tinkering, or a little more time. Other times, it's definitely a loss.

Oddly enough I've used the new 1X and was actually the guy who took the pictures of the new 1X that were strung all over Instagram under other usernames. 

My shots consisted of in motion slap shots up the wing, left and right, snap shots in stride like described off the "wrong foot" and quick twitch snappers through legs for deceptive shooting. Rarely a one times and rarely a wrist shot because my league is such a mess there's no real time to cycle and get a lot of time to shot. It's a typical unorganized back and forth possession B league men's hockey league. 

I would recommend chopping off a third to a half of an inch at a time. Play a good handful of times before chopping off some more. If you suddenly shorten your stick by 2" then the difference could just screw you up and negate any potential benefits.

I've tried, but I find that its almost impossible to change your skating motion to adapt to it. I equate to Tim Tebow never being able to change his throwing motion to adapt to the NFL. I may have some success with it intially, but as the game goes on and I'm focused on what's going on around me, I regress back to my natural stance.

I just leave it alone and play now. I do think that I could adapt if they made a lie higher than 5.5 retail. 

I actually made a drastic change today. I went with a P88 95 flex extended shaft 1N. I'll cut it to one inch above retail making it roughly a 90 flex. P88 always felt shorter at the same height as P92 sticks for me. I figured this would be a nice well rounded spec combo. I've always felt really comfortable with the the pattern. Time will tell. 

I think you should try a P89 blade.  The blade is kinda mid-curve, kinda heel wedge curve and an open toe.  I love the curve because Ii can heel to toe saucer it or snap it off the toe.  And the curve isn't too deep nor too shallow.  

3 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

I think you should try a P89 blade.  The blade is kinda mid-curve, kinda heel wedge curve and an open toe.  I love the curve because Ii can heel to toe saucer it or snap it off the toe.  And the curve isn't too deep nor too shallow.  

I took a look at an A42 APX in P89 at the pro rink the other day and didn't mind what I saw in person I just know that I've had problems sailing pucks with open toes like that because I don't roll my wrists when I shoot in game situations. I

take wrist and snap shots off the wrong foot and only slap shots off the opposite foot. 

I think a lot of it is preference and playing style.  Ovi plays with a field hockey length stick and does pretty well.  

Experiment and and find what you like.  Buy some cheap or used sticks to mess around with until you figure it out.  

On 7/15/2016 at 6:56 PM, noodle3872 said:

It's a fantastic curve for people that know what they're doing. Unfortunately, the majority of the sticks are bought by kids that are mostly concerned with how high they can shoot it over the net. They need something with way more twist at the toe to do that.

I tried the P89, liked it fine, except the lie. The rocker picks up a little too early for me and I lose the puck. I've wondered, does a toe hook or deep mid curve simulate having a lower lie?

On 7/15/2016 at 7:15 PM, 60PlusWinger said:

I took a look at an A42 APX in P89 at the pro rink the other day and didn't mind what I saw in person I just know that I've had problems sailing pucks with open toes like that because I don't roll my wrists when I shoot in game situations. I

take wrist and snap shots off the wrong foot and only slap shots off the opposite foot. 

If the P89 is too open at the toe for you then you are probably right to be exploring the P88 or similar neutral faced curves.  

I am 5'10" and I use a 54 1/2" stick. It's all a matter of preference. I think it also depends on your position if you are a center or wing you may want to keep the puck closer to your body and it also helps when working corners. If you play defense maybe you want a longer stick for the reach. I rarely if every take slapshots but every other shot is hard and precise. 

That being said I always used short sticks since I was young and never transitioned. I did at one time try and longer stick and immediately hated it and felt I had no puck control and more than a few times almost speared myself when going into a corner. 

I've been cutting my sticks shorter and shorter over the years. At the moment now, I'v cut the stick to about my collarbone while on skates. 

Incidently, I was using a P88 when I first started playing years ago. Migrated to different patterns before settling on the P92 and used it for about 4 years. Took a long hiatus with kids coming along, and now back to playing this year. The P92 was great for accuracy, but somehow the lie of the stick didnt work for me with stickhandling. I also kept losing the puck too easily. Went back to a P88 and immediately felt comfortable again. I lose a little in terms of accuracy, but shots are still on net and puck control is way better.

It might not be stick length, you might have to consider trying a different curve? People change.... so do personal preferences.