Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamarquan

Skates And Sticks And Sales And Things

Hello everyone, I seem to have come across a problem.

I'm going to need new skates for the new season, and have had problems getting a good fit. I was unaware until Saturday that I have bone spurs on the outside metatarsals of both of my feet. I've had issues finding a skate that fits, because I have a rather average width foot, and average toes with average heels. So I'm at an impasse as to what skates to buy. 

*Skate History*

CCM U+01 - Used until I lost them on the bus. Have no memory of how they fit.

Bauer Vapor X50 - Decent fit, not much else.

Easton Stealth S15 - Good fit, comfortable, used for only a few months. Got secondhand, have no idea if they were baked or how broken in they were. 

Bauer Supreme 160 LE - Never had time to bake, never got the right fit. Footbeds hurt my feet like crazy.

When I was trying on skates over the weekend, the Vapors and Jetspeeds (X500 and 270) were uncomfortable on my forefoot, toe box was to close for comfort. (I don't like the tips of my toes touching the cap.) The Nexus N7000s weren't hurting, but not baked or broken in. The CCM Tacks 3052 were a little more snug, but with the same problem. So, what to do? I can't afford custom skates, having a ~450$ budget, about 50-150$ going to replacements to the steel (may be necessary, if I buy skates with stainless steel) and foot beds (required). 

I am going to try more on at my LHS on Saturday, but if any of you have a similar experience, than any guidance is helpful.

Onto sticks.

So, I'm deal hunting for summer sales, trying to see if I can find any mid kick sticks, and I came to the realization that I have an NXG (screw the PM9!) laying around. I could pre cycle it through the Hockey Green program, and I want to be assured that I can get a credit. Is there a way to know beforehand? Also, I know that TotalHockey matches stick prices, but is there a way I would be able to know which sticks they match? Because many of the sticks are 2014 models and don't have all their curves and flexes in stock. As well, do discounts and credits stack on sale sticks?

BTW What sticks I'm thinking of:

CCM Tacks 3052 ($50, could get all the way to $30 with sales and credits, if they stack.) 

Bauer Supreme 170 ($60, found for 48 on another site.)

Bauer Nexus 4000 ($65)

Easton Synergy HTX 60 ($70, 60 on a competing site).

If you have any experience with these sticks, please share.

Thanks all.

Ever think about getting yourself measured? Dont do what I did, and try to buy all the different types of skates to try to make them work. Everyone has a different type of foot shape, size, bunions etc.

Maybe try the nexus line of skates?

As for sticks, why not go for a top end shaft/blade combo? I know that True 6.0 shafts are now on discount, and the correlating blades can be bought on discount as well (possibly with additional discount with coupon codes). I've not tried the True range, but most feedback I've heard has been very positive.

The problem I've encountered with 2pc sticks is my height / weight / strength. I'm to tall and too strong for a junior, but too weak and short for a senior, and to my knowledge there is no intermediate shafts and blades, and cutting down / extending the sticks compounds the problem. 

I can can try to get myself measured this weekend, if Pure Hockey does that.

the Nexus N7000 felt good, like I said, but they may be too big considering I don't have large feet and I don't know how to bake them to not converge on my metatarsals.

Fatwabbit is right. Get measured, any decent shop can do it. Once you have the general sizing down try on as many skates as you can in your price range. If there's a pair that feels good, spend 30-40 minutes in them; sit, stand, walk, bend your knees, etc. it will save you time, $$, and pain in the long run.

Lots of good discounts on sticks right now. Pick one you like and give one a shot (pun intended). I like the True sticks,  for your price range you'd be looking a the A1.0 SBP. An intermediate is a 60 flex and you are getting a true one piece stick.

just my $0.02, good luck!

16 minutes ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Fatwabbit is right. Get measured, any decent shop can do it. Once you have the general sizing down try on as many skates as you can in your price range. If there's a pair that feels good, spend 30-40 minutes in them; sit, stand, walk, bend your knees, etc. it will save you time, $$, and pain in the long run.

Lots of good discounts on sticks right now. Pick one you like and give one a shot (pun intended). I like the True sticks,  for your price range you'd be looking a the A1.0 SBP. An intermediate is a 60 flex and you are getting a true one piece stick.

just my $0.02, good luck!

I'll be sure to get measured on Saturday / Sunday.

While I've heard /nothing/ but rave reviews on the True sticks, I used a teammates A4.5, thinking it would be better than the 1X he offered to let me use for a few games. In retrospect, I should have taken the 1X. The A4.5 never felt comfortable in my hands, and shots weren't great for me, even with a TC2, a curve type I normally like. I'm worried that if the A4.5 wasn't quite right, that taking a step down isn't going to help.

Here's a thought. Why not try the Warrior DT line of sticks. If you can get your hands on an older Widow in 75 flex, give that a shot. I've currently got one of those, and because of the Dagger Taper, it has a huge amount of flex to it.

7 hours ago, fatwabbit said:

Here's a thought. Why not try the Warrior DT line of sticks. If you can get your hands on an older Widow in 75 flex, give that a shot. I've currently got one of those, and because of the Dagger Taper, it has a huge amount of flex to it.

I wouldn't mind a Warrior, but 65 flex is pushing it for me, even though Warriors play softer to their ratings as far as I know. I've also got a low kick in the CCM RibCor, and am looking for a mid kick to compliment it. 

Speaking of, I've narrowed it down to the Bauer Supreme 170 or the CCM Tacks 3052. I can get both for cheap (the Tacks for as little as 30 if all goes well), and the Supreme for around 38. If anyone has tried either, line of stick, than let me know how it was.

9 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

I'll be sure to get measured on Saturday / Sunday.

While I've heard /nothing/ but rave reviews on the True sticks, I used a teammates A4.5, thinking it would be better than the 1X he offered to let me use for a few games. In retrospect, I should have taken the 1X. The A4.5 never felt comfortable in my hands, and shots weren't great for me, even with a TC2, a curve type I normally like. I'm worried that if the A4.5 wasn't quite right, that taking a step down isn't going to help.

For what it's worth, you are comparing two completely different sticks. The 1X being a top of the line, low-kick stick and the A4.5 being a middle of the road stick with a mid-kick. That said, I'm not surprised you liked the 1X better!

5 minutes ago, tpedersen3118 said:

For what it's worth, you are comparing two completely different sticks. The 1X being a top of the line, low-kick stick and the A4.5 being a middle / lower end stick with a mid-kick. That said, I'm not surprised you liked the 1X better!

I know, but considering the hype, and the entire world calling it top of the line quality, it wasn't for me.

Alright, so I've made some readjustments to the list. It's up to the supreme, tacks, nexus 4000 (which I liked but worried it was too expensive, but have some discounts and it should be cheaper). 

Side note, how are the original surgeon and stallion lines? They're 60 each for the cheapest versions.

Hello again, update time: 

Got back from PH just now, think I've found the right skates. I told the guy there that the Supremes never really gave me a good fit, and the Vapor, Jetspeed, Tacks, and Nexus weren't right for my foot. After an unsuccessful attempt at fitting in the Easton Makos, I was directed to the RibCor, which the guy at HG last week vehemently told me not to get. The skates fit incredibly well. They are tit without pressuring my bone spurs, my toes aren't up against the cap (which is nice because my feet are different sizes, my left being an 8.5 skate and my right being an 8) and my heel / ankle felt secure. Will pick them up next week because of the 20% off sale.

Back to sticks:

At this point, the only thing left is really the Supremes, but due diligence.

On July 22, 2016 at 4:36 PM, Jamarquan said:

Alright, so I've made some readjustments to the list. It's up to the supreme, tacks, nexus 4000 (which I liked but worried it was too expensive, but have some discounts and it should be cheaper). 

Side note, how are the original surgeon and stallion lines? They're 60 each for the cheapest versions.

Shit, I'll give you my Nexus 4000. I'm not a fan, used it once and it's been sitting in my basement collecting dust.

23 hours ago, Jamarquan said:

Hello again, update time: 

Got back from PH just now, think I've found the right skates. I told the guy there that the Supremes never really gave me a good fit, and the Vapor, Jetspeed, Tacks, and Nexus weren't right for my foot. After an unsuccessful attempt at fitting in the Easton Makos, I was directed to the RibCor, which the guy at HG last week vehemently told me not to get. The skates fit incredibly well. They are tit without pressuring my bone spurs, my toes aren't up against the cap (which is nice because my feet are different sizes, my left being an 8.5 skate and my right being an 8) and my heel / ankle felt secure. Will pick them up next week because of the 20% off sale.

Back to sticks:

At this point, the only thing left is really the Supremes, but due diligence.

RIbcors a pretty solid boot. The flex zones and workings make it very comfortable, and im a huge fan of the lace lock. The pump is fun, id prefer a little better lock without it, but its nice to have the ability to adjust somewhat to different preferences.

29 minutes ago, Stewie said:

RIbcors a pretty solid boot. The flex zones and workings make it very comfortable, and im a huge fan of the lace lock. The pump is fun, id prefer a little better lock without it, but its nice to have the ability to adjust somewhat to different preferences.

I want to try the Super Tacks or maybe the Ultra Tacks really bad; but more than of couple folks I've skated with have had issues with the runner and how it attaches to the holder. Do you know if that has improved any? I know can can always slap on  Tuuk but for $700-$900 they should be solid IMO

1 minute ago, tpedersen3118 said:

I want to try the Super Tacks or maybe the Ultra Tacks really bad; but more than of couple folks I've skated with have had issues with the runner and how it attaches to the holder. Do you know if that has improved any? I know can can always slap on  Tuuk but for $700-$900 they should be solid IMO

I have no issues with the holder and runner, but then i have a ritual that i go through so that i make sure its tight after every game. I bought a bit for a power driver that fits the hex shape of the screw, and a flathead and just give it a little tighten when i'm getting ready. I had a lot more issues with the EPro holder than i have with SB 4.0 which is, in my opinion, leaps and bounds better. As for the skates in question, I don't have direct experience with either of those outside seeing them in person and listening to a rep talk about them. I think the durability of them is still in question in this point, tbd if it goes the way of the mako durability or is a solid one piece boot.

Hey everyone, update:

My LHS buys old skates, and I wanted to see how much I could get for the Bauers and Eastons. While there, I decided to ask to try on some more skates (due diligence and what have you). He sized me at a 7.5 as opposed to an 8.5, and recommended me to try on narrow skates (Vapor X500 / X600. They fit well, but I'm worried about the fact I was put a whole size lower, however they didn't hurt my bone spurs and were rather comfortable. When asked about the RibCor, the guy at the store told me that they didn't have any, but told me to try on a Tacks. He put me in something similar in price to the 5092, but with black runners and maybe some other upgrades (it was an exclusive skate to their store). Again, they fit well and didn't pressure me, and were more stiff, but I'm still worried over the 7.5 - 8.5 thing. My feet are still growing and I want to make sure I've got the right fit, but I've been given three different recommendations by three different stores, which has me worried. (Store One told me Nexus skates in 8.0, Store Two told me RibCor in 8.5, Store Three told me Tacks or Vapors in 7.5)

Side note: With the ~$110 - 150 of upgrades I'd have to put into them, the Vapors and Nexus are not looking too good. I know fit is paramount, but I'm looking to spend as little as possible, considering I'm trying to spend less than 450, which was a large overestimate.

Side side note: Is it worth learning how to shoot lefty? I can pickup an old Stealth S7 for $10 on HM.

16 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Hey everyone, update:

My LHS buys old skates, and I wanted to see how much I could get for the Bauers and Eastons. While there, I decided to ask to try on some more skates (due diligence and what have you). He sized me at a 7.5 as opposed to an 8.5, and recommended me to try on narrow skates (Vapor X500 / X600. They fit well, but I'm worried about the fact I was put a whole size lower, however they didn't hurt my bone spurs and were rather comfortable. When asked about the RibCor, the guy at the store told me that they didn't have any, but told me to try on a Tacks. He put me in something similar in price to the 5092, but with black runners and maybe some other upgrades (it was an exclusive skate to their store). Again, they fit well and didn't pressure me, and were more stiff, but I'm still worried over the 7.5 - 8.5 thing. My feet are still growing and I want to make sure I've got the right fit, but I've been given three different recommendations by three different stores, which has me worried. (Store One told me Nexus skates in 8.0, Store Two told me RibCor in 8.5, Store Three told me Tacks or Vapors in 7.5)

Side note: With the ~$110 - 150 of upgrades I'd have to put into them, the Vapors and Nexus are not looking too good. I know fit is paramount, but I'm looking to spend as little as possible, considering I'm trying to spend less than 450, which was a large overestimate.

Side side note: Is it worth learning how to shoot lefty? I can pickup an old Stealth S7 for $10 on HM.

Dude, you just need to pull the trigger on what you feel fits best and what you can afford. Everyone is going to have an opinion on what you should wear, buy, fits you best, etc. If you want to give yourself extra room, go a 1/2 size up.

On your side note, what upgrades are you speaking of? extra steel?? that should only be $60-$90 for an extra set

Shooting lefty? No. stick with what you do best. Good Luck!

Extra steel (LS2 / LS3 / LS4 / Hyperglide / SB Black) and foot beds (Superfeet or CCM).

On your point about fit, I'm playing for as many as three teams this season, and the absolute last thing I want is to have a skate that doesn't fit halfway through, God forbid earlier. The guy in the shop was also explaining to me that if I bake the skates and my feet grow, it's going to fck the skate up and won't fit, so in his mind going a size up is no good. 

9 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

Extra steel (LS2 / LS3 / LS4 / Hyperglide / SB Black) and foot beds (Superfeet or CCM).

On your point about fit, I'm playing for as many as three teams this season, and the absolute last thing I want is to have a skate that doesn't fit halfway through, God forbid earlier. The guy in the shop was also explaining to me that if I bake the skates and my feet grow, it's going to fck the skate up and won't fit, so in his mind going a size up is no good. 

Didn't realize that footbeds were needed too. I use CCM and love them, Superfeet killed my feet.

I don't think you would have a problem going 1/2 a size up. If your foot grows you can always get them re-baked if they start to become uncomfortable - most skates can be baked up to 3 times. It sucks trying to buy shit when you are still growing, especially expensive shit. Good luck!

^1

What he said.

Yes, skates can be re-baked. Superfeet don't form mould to your feet like Speed Plate (that is you don't need to bake it to fit). So you should be good to go with it if you expect your fit to change (ie your feet to grow). I've never used CCM so can't comment on it but I've definitely had good experience with Superfeet. Just size it to your skate if you're going with 1/2 size larger skates. Also, if you're going with larger skates to grow into you may also consider Powerfoot inserts. It will help reduce the negative space in your toe box and help the larger skates fit a bit more snug up front. Depending on where you are, you should be able to score a pair $20~$30.

On 7/25/2016 at 5:31 PM, Stewie said:

I have no issues with the holder and runner, but then i have a ritual that i go through so that i make sure its tight after every game. I bought a bit for a power driver that fits the hex shape of the screw, and a flathead and just give it a little tighten when i'm getting ready. I had a lot more issues with the EPro holder than i have with SB 4.0 which is, in my opinion, leaps and bounds better. As for the skates in question, I don't have direct experience with either of those outside seeing them in person and listening to a rep talk about them. I think the durability of them is still in question in this point, tbd if it goes the way of the mako durability or is a solid one piece boot.

We need to get you some locktite sir

Everyone I've ever talked to with Epros has problems with the screws coming loose. 

BLUE LOCKTITE, FTW. Do it once, and you never have to worry again until you take the steel off. It's like $4. 

2 hours ago, Haggerty said:

We need to get you some locktite sir

I actually have some for my roller wheels :)