Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rades

Pro's skates V.S. Ours..?

Aside from small modifications like tongues, holders and blades, how much different is a pair of skates the pros use to the same ones we buy at a store?

Do they just bake skates like everyone? Or do companies like Bauer make a boot specifically designed  for pro players by taking a mold of their feet and building a boot off that mold, does that even happen?

10 hours ago, Rades said:

Or do companies like Bauer make a boot specifically designed  for pro players by taking a mold of their feet and building a boot off that mold, does that even happen?

Yes.

And you can have it done, too. It's one of the few things that pros have access to that retailers can do as well.

What retailers make molds for custom skates? None as far as I know. Pretty sure thats a "pro" thing. But could be wrong. The first to my knowledge will be VH Customs, and thats a 3D scan

, not a mold.

There are plenty of sizing and custom options on pro skates, but none of them use a mold of their foot, including Bauer.

VH is the only one that does anything like a custom shaped to the foot. 

On 7/26/2016 at 6:52 PM, IPv6Freely said:

There are plenty of sizing and custom options on pro skates, but none of them use a mold of their foot, including Bauer.

Incorrect statement. 

Who makes a more or equal custom skate as VH?  Both CCM and Bauer can do measurements but only CCM has a skate close in moldability now as far as I have ever seen?

Missing something out there? 

Yes, you are missing something.  Please read the OP's post, and the subsequent posts.

Bauer and CCM can make a skate based off a casting, can they not?

This wasn't about what skate is "more or equal," it was about a manufacturing process.

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Yes, you are missing something.  Please read the OP's post, and the subsequent posts.

Bauer and CCM can make a skate based off a casting, can they not?

This wasn't about what skate is "more or equal," it was about a manufacturing process.

Well yes they can. But I was speaking g about actual moldability.

Regarding your original question, I remember when Easton had the S15 and S17 model skates. The Pro models had an extra layer of carbon fiber built into the boot for protection. You could see it when you flipped the boot upside down. I do know that unlike most retail skates the pro skates are hand made in Canada and from what I've heard have double stitching unlike the retail. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, oldtrainerguy28 said:

Well yes they can. But I was speaking g about actual moldability.

Which wasn't asked by the original post or any other person in the thread. 

On July 26, 2016 at 9:22 AM, GoalForFun said:

JR - I recall asking you about this years ago when I was doing Bauer customs but never got any clarity on How I could actually do it?!

Through my LHS I was told the last can be altered but it's all based on measurements taken by a Bauer rep. So he proceeded to measure and trace my foot only to end up with the pair that I could not even put on?!

i even made the mold once myself - it ended up just being thrown away. Was a huge waste of effort on my side 

So how the heck can an average Joe get custom molded skates from Bauer?!

Was twirling around YouTube and came across these, VH's method seems pretty intense, the foam mold one in the other video is interesting as well with that type of foam that's used. 

On 7/26/2016 at 6:52 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Let me try this again....

Thats not totally correct Bauer will do a cast of your foot and CCM is working on a 3D scan system for Pro at this time and retail later. But in my experience the making of a mould of your foot and then the materials used do not actually make a better fitting skate in Bauer's case IMO. With the new CCM they seem to be going in the right direction in my opinion with more mouldable materials.

As for the other company the measured and scanning, fitting software they are using seems to be at this time a more accurate and customizable fit.

But yes both Bauer and CCM can and will do mould's to fit you if you have large issues with your feet and in most cases are willing to go to them in Quebec as is my understanding.

I hope that answers the comment in question better.