Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mimizk

What things are there in the finishing head?

oF2nJE5.png

Does anyone here who knows what things are there in the box of skate sharpener's finishing head?

I'm learning about skate sharpening machine.

Very long time, I had been thinking as that nowadays box type finishing head have been designed to fix its motor on very close point to top of the box and spinning grinding stone. In actually, for example SPB 850 is created as so.

But seeing this spare parts finishing head, its motor will fix completely under the table. I can't think out any reason to make such space under the grinding stone.

Nothing in the box? Or something in it?

It is very possible that the space you are referring to was just a design artifact.  That distance was needed for the skate in the holder to be a the right height for example.  

7 hours ago, Neal said:

It is very possible that the space you are referring to was just a design artifact.  That distance was needed for the skate in the holder to be a the right height for example.  

I'd agree with your thinking at meaning of its height. But I wanted to say especially about its width or depth.

See this.

lNI5mdJ.jpg

I think... until 10 or 20 years ago, this type finishing head was ordinary design.

After this, Blademaster and Blackstone or other companies started to make their finishing head as current box design. So I misunderstood as that they changed their design of fixing place of motor.

Still not changed the motor's place. It is fixed under the metal table. I wonder the reason why they should make it as such box shape. Why old flange design have been disused?

Yes, Blademaster's box has nothing in it.  It's what elevates the head to reach the proper height.

Blackstone, on the other hand, is a bit different.  The "box" is part of the table, and the head has a plate that screws into it.

I've searched about Blackstone's finishing head though, couldn't find any pictures or videos of its inside or underside.

I'm wondering that how do makers extend motor spindle to arbor or grinding stone? Just long neck coupling? Or changing motor spindle?
To see the photo of my previous post, the center hole has much thickness. So I feel that it looks extended with coupling.

On 2016/7/27 at 9:33 PM, Mimizk said:

I've found it empty...

teaNJes.jpg