Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zlowe247

Hollow For Summer Ice

I'll start by saying that i did use the search and just aren't finding exactly what im looking for, and would like to talk it over since its that time of year for many of us. Also, i admit that i am no expert when discussing fractions. 

I typically skate a 7/16 on my 9ft radius, which is honestly deeper than i probably need now that my legs have aged. It works well enough through the winter, especially on the hard outdoor rinks. Its now summer and the humidity is turning my "home" rink into a swimming pool. now im not trying to blame my slowing down soley on a fraction of an inch, but the lack of speed/glide is pretty noticeable the last few weeks,

Im 180ish and play more defense, but in a "no check" league so i don't need the depth for big hit/slot clearing stability. im looking to go more shallow than my typical 7/16. Is there a chart that list the typical options IN ORDER. I realize that 1/2 would be the direction i am hoping to go, but is there something in between that i could try? do you feel 1/2 or even 5/8 would be to dramatic of a change? 

Thanks in advance.    

Typical options are 1/2, then 9/16, 5/8, etc.  Some sharpeners will do in-between those settings, but for you just try 1/2 next.

On 7/26/2016 at 0:49 PM, zlowe247 said:

do you feel 1/2 or even 5/8 would be to dramatic of a change? 

You won't find much of a difference from 7/16 to 1/2, they are very close. As your 7/16 start to dull, they will feel like 1/2 anyway. I don't think most people would have an issue moving in 1/8 increments. Most players don't go any shallower than 7/8, and I am not sure how any adult can enjoy skating on anything deeper than 7/16.

I prefer the shallower hollows, with myself (140 pound adult) at 7/8. Here is the order from deep to shallow in 1/16" increments. If you want to move in 1/8" increments, skip one and move to every other one. (I only mention that because you said you are no expert in fractions)

7/16-->1/2-->9/16-->5/8-->11/16-->3/4-->13/16-->7/8

Thanks, Exactly what i was looking for. I'm thinking the 7/16 is a bit deep now days that i dont have the power i once had, or the need for the added stability. I will work my way up the list until i feel i'm sliding around.  

if it helps, I was skating on 1/2 inch all summer, till I bit the bullet and went 5/8ths.  The truth is I barely notice the difference (no sliding around or loss of control).  The only thing I will say is that I must be skating (harder or faster) because I can feel my legs and glutes getting sore much faster.