Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gemini8026

Time for a new helmet... But want something that will LAST

1 hour ago, Chadd said:

Foolish opinion, studies have shown it is more effective than EPP for rotational impacts. I prefer it for that reason.

Agreed, it shouldn't be assumed to be the definitive word in helmet safety, but it certainly advances the issue by making quantified data publicly available.

It's not foolish if I don't find it comfortable. 

7 hours ago, althoma1 said:

I'm sure Buzz will give you his impressions, but I'll give you mine. I tried it on in store and it was reasonably comfortable and looked protective, but it also looked huge on my head. I know that fit and protection should trump looks and the mirror test and that's why I've worn goofy looking helmets like the Mission Carbster in the past (and many don't like the look of the E700 or M11, but I don't have a problem with those two), but I think it seemed like one of, if not the, biggest/bulkiest helmets I've put on my head. The OG ReAkt and ReAkt 100 are much more streamlined.

Thank you. So the 75 has a different shell than the 100?

50 minutes ago, Chadd said:

Foolish opinion, studies have shown it is more effective than EPP for rotational impacts. I prefer it for that reason.

Agreed, it shouldn't be assumed to be the definitive word in helmet safety, but it certainly advances the issue by making quantified data publicly available.

Exactly; what we have had are impact tests either by dropping weights on the helmet or firing pucks at it from the various sanctioning agencies. The helmets for the most part prevent skull fractures but very little else. There have been essentially no other advances in helmut construction.  VT attempted to quantfy and model the rotational forces that appear to be the cause of most concussions. The sanctioning agencies are not equipped nor is it in their mandate to address the issue.  As for the various helmet companies that purport(ed) to reduce the chance of concussions........is much akin to letting the wolf guard the sheep.

6 hours ago, JGraz15 said:

Thank you. So the 75 has a different shell than the 100?

The width and venting looks similar, but the 75 is noticeably taller. I tried on both those helmets and looking in the mirror within 5 minutes of each other and the 100 definitely looked smaller on my head. That isn't the most important factor, but I preferred the way the 100 looked and felt the 75 looked a little goofy on my head. It may look better on others. If it fits you best and you like the helmet then go for it - I could end up wearing one in the future. I wouldn't rule something out just for looking slightly strange - I'd rather have something effective and comfortable that looks a bit odd then something that looks amazing, but is uncomfortable and doesn't perform well.

On 2016-08-04 at 10:42 AM, RickDC said:

I second the ReAkt.. had mine since it came out and everything  still works ok :-) Pissed at Bauer for not replying about the Virginia Tech ratings, but still like the helmet.. Just wish it had removable brow towels to absorb and manage the sweat!

Bauer already made a public statement about it shortly after the initial results came out.  Bauer later made the Re-Akt 75 with Virginia Tech's rating system in mind and scored the highest among all helmets.  These tests don't factor in how well a helmet fits; which would affect the level of protection. 

On August 4, 2016 at 10:26 PM, mc88 said:

Hard to find and not for everyone, but I love pro helmets with just VN foams. They're super easy to modify (I've added sweat bands to the foam) and low maintenance-- don't have to worry about glued pads shifting/falling off or EPP foams cracking.

Is there any real difference between a prostock helmet with VN and a retail helmet that normally comes with it?

Highend flagship helmets might have the fancy fit dials and stuff, but those are just added things to potentially break, which is what the OP wants to avoid.

Seems like basic stuff like a 4500 or CCM Resistance 110 might be what he wants.

15 minutes ago, start_today said:

Is there any real difference between a prostock helmet with VN and a retail helmet that normally comes with it?

Highend flagship helmets might have the fancy fit dials and stuff, but those are just added things to potentially break, which is what the OP wants to avoid.

Seems like basic stuff like a 4500 or CCM Resistance 110 might be what he wants.

Sorry to derail but I am curious to see if any pros will actually use the Resistance 110 or if they'll stick with the V08 (still surprised CCM killed such a successful lid)

Impressive work on that poron lined helmet and an interesting idea. Do you have any issues with it gaining moisture weight during a skate or drying it out after a skate?

I have a poron patch in my Reakt cage's chin cup which absorbs & holds water really badly. i have to squeeze the water out of it after every skate or it won't dry.

Yep, my re-akt cage holds a ridiculous amount of water in the chin cup, it takes me some time to dry it out by pushing in a small towel. big minus for that, but still an amazing cage. 

Just got a Reebok 11k. Time will tell if it's a decent lid or not. My last one, I think a Bauer 5100, only lasted me about 2 seasons before succumbing to various hardware failures. 

On 8/5/2016 at 6:45 PM, IPv6Freely said:

It's not foolish if I don't find it comfortable. 

Which version? There are several different versions in use across the industry.