Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gemini8026

Time for a new helmet... But want something that will LAST

My current helmet is an S19.  It was one of those beasts that had the internal pads shift around, fall out, move out of position constantly.  I never loved it, but bought it on sale as it fit and was nice and light.

Id like a new helmet, budget isnt an issue, but I want it to LAST, and not have all the stickers and such shift around.  Went to my local sportchek and looked around, and there are a LOT of helmets that have that same "sticker padding" design.

What do you recommend?!  Id like to go to the next LHS with a something in mind.  This is for NON contact rec hockey (ASHL) so I dont need anything too crazy for concussions and such.

Thanks for any advice.

The Bauer Re-Akt 100 is pricey but will likely last a long time... mine is a few months old now but still looks new for the most part.

Wtv fits best. The s19 was a unique fit, tight fitting on the side and on a longer than average from what i remember, not sure you can similar but is to try them on. The newer Easton E600/700 is a much wider helmet than the old S19.

I second the ReAkt.. had mine since it came out and everything  still works ok :-) Pissed at Bauer for not replying about the Virginia Tech ratings, but still like the helmet.. Just wish it had removable brow towels to absorb and manage the sweat!

2 hours ago, RickDC said:

I second the ReAkt.. had mine since it came out and everything  still works ok :-) Pissed at Bauer for not replying about the Virginia Tech ratings, but still like the helmet.. Just wish it had removable brow towels to absorb and manage the sweat!

First, they are under no obligation to address a largely meaningless study more than they already did.

Second, no-sweats in my re-akt have been amazing. Try some.

3 hours ago, RickDC said:

I had a S19 for awhile... I live in a hot climate and keeping the helmet in the garage eventually melted all the glue and the padding was shifting all over the place and sticking to my hair. The S19 was pretty much a POS... It was hard as hell with or without the padding. My E700 is 100x better and the pads haven't melted or shifted in the past 3 yrs.

The Re-Akt does make you sweat and drip down your face/eyes. My kid had the same complaint 2 yrs ago and what I did was I bought these Under Armor Sweat band, cut them into 5-6 inches pieces and used small velcro tape to tape them to the inside of the helmet,right above the air vents near the forehead. The sweatband just sticks to the velcro and you can just remove it and wash and stick it back on... He hasn't complained about the sweating issue since.

poZ6kkkHj

I have been using an E700 for roller for a couple seasons and it's held up well. It breathes well and no there helmets are close to being as light. I have used a Bauer ims 7 to ref ice for over a year and it's super comfortable and like new. The ims 11 is definitely heavier than the E700 though and isn't as well ventilated. 

I love the E700... most comfortable helmet I've ever worn but sadly not the most durable (to me).  That being said, I scored a team stock Dallas Stars S Glossy Black E700 on ebay last week and it's beautiful.  I have literally been looking for that helmet for over 2 years, it is next to impossible to find it in non-matte black in any size, let alone my size and I was so happy that my searching and persistence finally paid off.  This is the 4th E700 I have owned (I have 2 LAK Purple ones that are brand new as well).

Here's what was left of my Matte black E700 after some prick ripped my cage off in a scrum in a tournament, lol:

IMG_9671.jpg

Wow, I've never seen a helmet ripped apart that badly.  It's still a light, comfortable helmet, but definitely not designed for someone ripping off a cage...hopefully that'd be a rare occurrence in most leagues anyway.

I'd love one of those LAK purple ones if they ever came up in a large. I think they're from the junior kings team though so almost all of them available were size small.

35 minutes ago, althoma1 said:

Wow, I've never seen a helmet ripped apart that badly.  It's still a light, comfortable helmet, but definitely not designed for someone ripping off a cage...hopefully that'd be a rare occurrence in most leagues anyway.

I'd love one of those LAK purple ones if they ever came up in a large. I think they're from the junior kings team though so almost all of them available were size small.

Yeah and to be fair to Easton, the helmet was pretty old and banged up... I didn't expect it to last much longer.  Then again, I also didn't expect the incredible f'ing hulk to go beserk on me...lol.

5 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

First, they are under no obligation to address a largely meaningless study more than they already did.

Second, no-sweats in my re-akt have been amazing. Try some.

Meaningless? Controversial yes, but not meaningless.

Hard to find and not for everyone, but I love pro helmets with just VN foams. They're super easy to modify (I've added sweat bands to the foam) and low maintenance-- don't have to worry about glued pads shifting/falling off or EPP foams cracking.

Been wearing mine for about a year now and I love it. Love it so much, I bought a second one (one black and one white).

These particular helmets are Rebook 11K VNs:

tz2PYifl.jpg

gHpmkwtl.jpg

53 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not a fan of VN. Still tempted to try putting some Maltese into a player helmet...

Just do this instead... Poron XRD lined helmet:

IMG_0314.jpg

can't believe all this love for the E700 ..... well wait

I mean its ridiculously light and comfy YES ...... but, I took a few accidental shoulders to the head and the helmet all but spun off my head

and it properly fit me, chin strap wasn't dangling or anything crazy - its now my coaching helmet, glad I got it for $25 on clearance

helmets (like most other equipment) are such a fickle thing, as they need to FIT you first and foremost 

regardless of how the Virginia tests rate the helmet, if the "safest helmet" doesn't fit your head, then how safe is it? 

I just bought  a helmet and like you, budget was no issue

I tried them ALL, and i mean ALL on and the CCM Resistance 300 fit me the best, compared to all the others 

spend some time in your LHS, try them ALL on and pick one that suits your head 

I think everyone is forgetting about a helmet that is almost as light as the E700 and breathes just as well but is much more durable: the E600. I've used one for ball hockey and the padding is great at absorbing sweat (just like the E700), plus it uses thicker plastic along where the cage/visor connects. I love mine and it does handle sweat better than my RE-AKT.

1 hour ago, Buzz_LightBeer said:

ReAkt 75 would fit the bill at a better price. 

What are your general impressions of this helmet? It interests me 

19 minutes ago, JGraz15 said:

I'm sure Buzz will give you his impressions, but I'll give you mine. I tried it on in store and it was reasonably comfortable and looked protective, but it also looked huge on my head. I know that fit and protection should trump looks and the mirror test and that's why I've worn goofy looking helmets like the Mission Carbster in the past (and many don't like the look of the E700 or M11, but I don't have a problem with those two), but I think it seemed like one of, if not the, biggest/bulkiest helmets I've put on my head. The OG ReAkt and ReAkt 100 are much more streamlined.

1 hour ago, JGraz15 said:

I've been wearing it a few weeks. Came from an IMS11 I didn't care for, and a Resistance which in a huge fan of. 

Seemingly plenty of protection, good value. Haven't taken a good hit in it yet, but my initial impressions are positive. Poron does not dry quickly so keep a towel handy. 

18 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Not a fan of VN. Still tempted to try putting some Maltese into a player helmet...

Foolish opinion, studies have shown it is more effective than EPP for rotational impacts. I prefer it for that reason.

20 hours ago, fcalog said:

Meaningless? Controversial yes, but not meaningless.

Agreed, it shouldn't be assumed to be the definitive word in helmet safety, but it certainly advances the issue by making quantified data publicly available.