Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truckie

Is it normal to have to join USAHOCKEY?

Just wondering... Is it normal to have to Join USAHOCKEY to play in open hockey or join a team/league, or take the adult hockey class???

I am no where near ready to actually play a game but want to jump into the Tuesday night Adult class and think I need it first...  Funny I can be on the Ice putting it in but to play on it  I need a membership

12 minutes ago, Stodgy said:

Have a question. Does the USA hockey insurance cover pick up games and stick time or just games? Thanks

Games and clinics yes, pickup and stick time no.

It picks up games, practices and clinics that are USHA sanctioned. If the league is not part of USAH they can have you play without joining USAH but there is no supplementary insurance. 

Local inline place won't even let you play drop in without it. Luckily I've never injured myself. Severely. Yet. Lol.

Instructor got back to me and said I do not need hockey USA membership for the class...   He said just bring all my gear and a GOOD ATTITUDE...

On 8/6/2016 at 4:01 PM, Truckie said:

Just wondering... Is it normal to have to Join USAHOCKEY to play in open hockey or join a team/league, or take the adult hockey class???

Yes, every league I have played for requires it. It protects the rink just as much as you. Luckily I never had to use the coverage from it. 

13 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

Local inline place won't even let you play drop in without it. Luckily I've never injured myself. Severely. Yet. Lol.

For roller, I actually had to sign up for AAU as opposed to USAH. Same concept though.

In most places it's a necessary evil.  Check with the director or some people who play at the rink. There may be ways around it.  Sometimes the figure skating club has their own insurance policy that is often way cheaper than USA Hockey.  Doesn't hurt to check.  

USA hockey doesn't even cover the cost for your injuries from what I came to find out three  years ago.  Took a puck to the mouth and went to the ER as per the hockey people at the rink.  Showed my USA card for the insurance, and the deductible and what came to be what I owed after what they "covered" was a total joke.

I turned around and handed them my actual real insurance card, walked out without having to pay for anything.

I refuse to buy a USA hockey membership since.

On 8/9/2016 at 1:49 PM, Bakum said:

Yes, every league I have played for requires it. It protects the rink just as much as you. Luckily I never had to use the coverage from it. 

Our rink said that USA Hockey told them that they wouldn't sanction any youth travel tournament at the facility unless all in-house and adult league players were USAH registered. At one point there were so many problems with the USA Hockey officials that the rink was considering using their own officials. One of the district VPs told them that they would black list anyone that worked games at the rink and they would never get any assignments within 200 miles. If those comments were true, it borders on racketeering and extortion.

15 hours ago, Chadd said:

Our rink said that USA Hockey told them that they wouldn't sanction any youth travel tournament at the facility unless all in-house and adult league players were USAH registered. At one point there were so many problems with the USA Hockey officials that the rink was considering using their own officials. One of the district VPs told them that they would black list anyone that worked games at the rink and they would never get any assignments within 200 miles. If those comments were true, it borders on racketeering and extortion.

Wow, that's nuts. I never really looked deeply into what is involved with USA hockey since i'm just an adult player. I just kinda paid my $50 and played.

I did have one problem with USA before because I joined a draft league and after 3 games in, there was only like 5 guys per game and 1 of those didn't even have a goalie. So I emailed the guy running the team and told him, i'm not coming to anymore games and I wasn't paying the remainder of the fee to not play. He reported me to USA hockey and numerous other players on the team(which nobody wanted to play for) and USA revoked my membership for the year without even asking me about the circumstances. I was pretty pissed about it. Luckily it was a spring/summer league so I was able to get a new membership in August to play the following season.

This should surprise me but doesn't, because hockey at all levels is kind of an old-boys-club.  I'm glad that most adult leagues around here are not USAH affiliated, if that's the kind of insular-cliquey crap happening.  I have to join for coaching purposes (youth hockey), but that's all.  And I only coach house and learn to play, so we all stay in a nice little low-key bubble.

I know some youth leagues around here are not USAH sanctioned, but my understanding was that's so they can avoid the cross-ice mandate and tempt parents with Real Hockey.  

I don't understand how they could be within rights to say they won't sanction youth travel hockey unless all adult players are registered.  It's nothing to do with each other (unless the same facility runs all the levels, and even then...) and I agree it's extortion.  You could protest, I suppose, but then the USAH folks would find a way to blacklist you for some obscure reason.

20 hours ago, Chadd said:

http://thejuniorhockeynews.com/the-hypocrisy-of-usa-hockey-and-hockey-canada-afraid-of-competition-and-thats-a-problem/

Open minded?  Enlightened?  Mercenary?  Hockey prostitute?

USAH is a big machine, but it should be big only because it's providing a good service.  Forcing a monopoly isn't good for anyone.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 3:11 PM, Chadd said:

this literally happened to a local rink for not using USA hockey for their youth beginner in house leagues, because its basically a coach running the in house leagues as a "ref" for 5 year olds, now hes blocked from coaching the team he actually coached for high schoolers because of USA hockey throwing a fit. and isn't allowed to ref beer league games because he got black listed from reffing as well.  So much for teach learn to play hockey