Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karly14

Sport Chek Easton Sticks

38 minutes ago, Hills said:

Do you really think a minimum wage Sport Chek employee is going to know the difference between a stick labelled a Mako and another stick labelled a Mako and the only difference being the textured blade on the original one?

Perhaps not, but the onus is on you as the consumer to know what you're buying.  If you ask and they give you the wrong answer, you have recourse.  If you don't ask, and don't do your research, that's your own fault.

People in this thread are claiming they can tell just by looking at/feeling the stick.  If that's the case, then don't buy it.

It's ridiculous that posters here are basically saying that Sportchek can take a wood 5030, paint it like an EK15 and sell it as an EK15.

3 minutes ago, boo10 said:

Perhaps not, but the onus is on you as the consumer to know what you're buying.  If you ask and they give you the wrong answer, you have recourse.  If you don't ask, and don't do your research, that's your own fault.

People in this thread are claiming they can tell just by looking at/feeling the stick.  If that's the case, then don't buy it.

It's ridiculous that poster's here are basically saying that Sportchek can take a wood 5030, paint it like an EK15 and sell it as an EK15.

That is a ridiculous statement. The majority of people here have much more knowledge on hockey equipment than the average consumer and you can't expect an average consumer to know that Makos have textured blades. If you walk into a store and see a product labelled as something you expect to get what it is labelled as. If you walked into a Ford dealership to purchase a Focus ST and you look at a car that looks identical with the same markings and everything, you expect to get a Focus ST. Not a lower model Focus or a slightly modified Focus that no one else sells and isn't the same product that has the name recognition and marketing behind it.

I'm not saying they are selling a significantly lower priced stick with the top end labels, I am saying they have been selling sticks that aren't quite what they look to be.

3 minutes ago, boo10 said:

It's ridiculous that poster's here are basically saying that Sportchek can take a wood 5030, paint it like an EK15 and sell it as an EK15.

That is a ridiculous statement. The majority of people here have much more knowledge on hockey equipment than the average consumer and you can't expect an average consumer to know that Makos have textured blades. If you walk into a store and see a product labelled as something you expect to get what it is labelled as. If you walked into a Ford dealership to purchase a Focus ST and you look at a car that looks identical with the same markings and everything, you expect to get a Focus ST. Not a lower model Focus or a slightly modified Focus that no one else sells and isn't the same product that has the name recognition and marketing behind it.

I'm not saying they are selling a significantly lower priced stick with the top end labels, I am saying they have been selling sticks that aren't quite what they look to be.

As a sport Chek employee and a member of this community for the better part of a decade now (wow I'm getting old) I can tell you that sport Chek no longer deals with brands that are no longer producing sticks, like when they had tps sticks rebranded as a house brand. All of the current line up is 100% legit and my location has enough traffic in the hockey department to warrant most top line models compared to some others. The eastons on sale are legit. As are the ccm's that will be soon to follow, same with the sherwoods that we carry, though mostly the ek15 model. 

17 hours ago, adam14 said:

As a sport Chek employee and a member of this community for the better part of a decade now (wow I'm getting old) I can tell you that sport Chek no longer deals with brands that are no longer producing sticks, like when they had tps sticks rebranded as a house brand. All of the current line up is 100% legit and my location has enough traffic in the hockey department to warrant most top line models compared to some others. The eastons on sale are legit. As are the ccm's that will be soon to follow, same with the sherwoods that we carry, though mostly the ek15 model. 

I know I already asked this in this thread but never got an answer. Does SportChek ship to the US?

14 minutes ago, Jamarquan said:

I know I already asked this in this thread but never got an answer. Does SportChek ship to the US?

No

There is a ton of off based commenting here! So much that there was more than 5 quote's so I decided to skip and answer generally about the topic.

The retailer does not manufacture the product they buy in the rare exception of house brands.  Any difference in product lie strictly with the Brand/manufacturer.  Obviously sometimes suppliers run our of material and need to sub and I am aware of situation where one of the brands mentioned repeatly; made sticks in a different factory(and country) then the original models were made.  That information doesn't come to light until after it has been exposed one the retail floor.

Any retailer in buys sticks(products) in good faith of getting the model they are told they are getting.

46 minutes ago, Hills said:

No

That's no fun. SC has super cheap prices compared to HM and other American retailers.

On 8/10/2016 at 8:03 PM, adam14 said:

You called it. EK15 @ 99$. Did not buy one as they seem too fragile and light for me. 

7 hours ago, icewalker_bg said:

You called it. EK15 @ 99$. Did not buy one as they seem too fragile and light for me. 

I had a couple EK15's.  While the weight is all personal preference (the thing IS a feather).  The sticks were tanks.  They held up extremely well.  I play a minimum of 2x a week, and sometimes as much as 4x, and I was very impressed with their durability.

@ 99.00, that's one of the best stick deals in recent memory.  Ton of bang for your buck.

Ok i was not expecting someone to call them tanks, ill pick one up next time. 

Also @Hills speaking of tanks, my v9 is holding up amazingly after months of abuse, a slight chip at the heel of the blade as thats where my tape wears out the most, but thats it, still shoots hard rockets and feel is almost as good as day one. 

4 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

Ok i was not expecting someone to call them tanks, ill pick one up next time. 

Also @Hills speaking of tanks, my v9 is holding up amazingly after months of abuse, a slight chip at the heel of the blade as thats where my tape wears out the most, but thats it, still shoots hard rockets and feel is almost as good as day one. 

You must be a lucky one, my teammate just broke his 3rd V9 and moved onto the EK15 hoping it will last longer than 3 months.

Yep. Will try to snag some pics of the blade next time as it has fresh tape. 

It varies really, i have heard mostly bad things about durability about the EK15 both here and from teammates, the guy above calls them tanks...will try it. 

We have a couple great deals on right now. The ek15 at 99 is an absolute steal as long as the curve and flex you want is available, lots of 95 at my location. The HTX is on for 119 right now as well, grip and non grip which is also an absolute steal. If I didn't have ccm's at home in a wrapper id buy a couple simply due to the fact that it's so hard to find non grip at retail.

On 2016-08-13 at 2:28 PM, adam14 said:

Sport Chek handles warranty in store. 

Not the Sportchek's I've dealt with in BC.  They simply tell you to go to the manufacturer's website, call the number and ship it at your own expense. 

On October 26, 2016 at 10:46 PM, icewalker_bg said:

Not the best sharpening experts at that location, beware. 

Better come see me at merivale sometime ;)

On 10/26/2016 at 3:01 PM, Hills said:

You must be a lucky one, my teammate just broke his 3rd V9 and moved onto the EK15 hoping it will last longer than 3 months.

To follow up, while my Ultra Tacks has gotten soft with half the use, my v9 is simply amazing... After close to a year of serious abuse, and recently being used almost on daily basis on outdoor hockey, blade still feels and shoots like new, no cracking no noises, no nothing. Trying to find a few extra but nowhere to be found in my specs, if you have the chance to buy them, do not hesitate IMO. 

Blade as of today after a toe freezing 2h, -20c outdoor session :

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg