Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Truckie

holes in glove palm - top hand(left hand

Being new I bought what appears to be clean basically Brand new looking pair of  ITECH Pro745 gloves at Play it Again sports for $20... I have worn full gear to public skates, maybe 4 stick and pucks, 2 hockey classes, and 2 fireman's league games. and  the gloves to 5- 1 hour long dryland cage, practice times... while cleaning my gear I noticed that the left glove ( my top hand) has holes in it (round tears) where the top of the palm meets the bottom of the fingers. The right glove is just fine.

Are these really cheap gloves?

how long can I use them before they are unusable?  

they are probably not worth having repaired... they feel really good on my hands although I wish they gave me a bit more dexterity as picking up my stick is hard and taking my lower hand off then putting it back on the stick the glove gets in the way sometimes...

any input is appreciated as I am still figuring this all out..... I have plenty of time to figure it out as  My injury has Dr. saying no hockey for at least 4 weeks   thanks

What kind of butt end do you have on your stick?  What color tape and how big?  The bigger the butt end and black tape will typically cause faster wear on the top hand.  Think of it similar to chalking up your pool cue.

The Itech glove for it's time was a decent glove;  however,  alot has changed in that time.  The materials in that glove after sitting for so lang may have degraded as well.

I used white tape and the half wide tape strip to make my knob and did the twisted tape to make the sort of coiled rib down the stick and then taped down over it

I only spent $20  so its not a super big deal... I may have to just buy better gloves... I am looking at the CCM quicklites  but they are pricey  and don't want to have them rip out quickly after spending that kind of money

Keep in mind TRUE has the Z-Palm gloves that allow you to fully customize your gloves by choosing different palms-  One of which os the Z-Power palm that has extra material on the heel of your palm and through the gusset of the palm.

Many gloves offered today are saddled with the palm that meets the manufacturers costing needs or is a general fit meaning good enough for the masses but perfect for nobody.  There are some real nice ones out there,  but there are many " meh " or average palms-  And none of them have the ease of replacement that Z-Palm offers. 

Just some food for thought.  Take it with a grain of salt as it is my job after all to sell.  See if you can find them at a dealer close to you and try them on,  so you can decide for yourself.  :) 

The true gloves are ok, but you'd have to be willing to spend the 180$ to get them which for a newer player is a significant investment, especially if you don't know you like the fit style of either of their models. They have lower levels too, but without the Xpalm. either way, they don't have a taper fit, and if that's what you think you will like (with your quicklite example) i would probably stick with the QLT 290. They are 120 and feel like a good deal at that price when i tried them on at Summerjam. Very comfortable on the hands, and great wrist mobility. I am debating between the QR1 and the QLT290 right now.

You shouldn't already have holes this soon on your gloves regardless of taping method, but if i were you id either try something like stretch grip tape or a tackimac/other on the top end to lessen some of the abrasion and preserve your gloves longer. I use stretch grip myself, its easy, and lessens impact of abrasion.

3 hours ago, Stewie said:

The true gloves are ok, but you'd have to be willing to spend the 180$ to get them which for a newer player is a significant investment, especially if you don't know you like the fit style of either of their models. They have lower levels too, but without the Xpalm. either way, they don't have a taper fit, and if that's what you think you will like (with your quicklite example) i would probably stick with the QLT 290. They are 120 and feel like a good deal at that price when i tried them on at Summerjam. Very comfortable on the hands, and great wrist mobility. I am debating between the QR1 and the QLT290 right now.

You shouldn't already have holes this soon on your gloves regardless of taping method, but if i were you id either try something like stretch grip tape or a tackimac/other on the top end to lessen some of the abrasion and preserve your gloves longer. I use stretch grip myself, its easy, and lessens impact of abrasion.

The Warrior gloves are very nice for sure.  Those gloves are all north of $100 though as well.  If you're in for a a penny you're in for a pound.  

In addition to the Z-Palm Glove through the end of the month you receive a free set of the Z-Pro Palms ( $59.99 value ),  so you have 2 sets of palms and the ability to change / replace or further customize your gloves.

I have done alot of demos with the Z-Palm and I get a very strong response from the Z-Fit Palms as well.

All that said I am sure with the current marketplace there are a lot of gloves out there to be had at discounted prices,  so perhaps he could still find something for $50 and be happy enough.

I only brought up the Z-Palm since it has a solution to a lot of players who wear out the exact same spot on their top hand glove-  With some gloves I have seen that heel area wear much faster than what I would consider normal.  YMMV.

FWIW-  I have seen many players wear out the same spot and large tape balls at the top of the stick exacerbate the problem.  I have seen some players use a dremel to 45 off that leading edge which works very well also.

Regular tape can be brutal on palms. Look into something like Tacki-mac (http://www.icewarehouse.com/search.html#tacki) , Buttendz or even just covering your preferred standard tape job with some stretch grip tape: http://www.icewarehouse.com/Renfrew_Stretch_Grip_Hockey_Stick_Tape/descpage-RSRT.html

I had used the latter for quite a while, but have recently started using the tacki-mac big butt grip (I realized I don't really care about the ribs as much as I originally thought). 

Any of these options are going to be much better for your glove palms. I don't even have marks on my palms, let alone actual holes. 

9 minutes ago, Zac911 said:

The Warrior gloves are very nice for sure.  Those gloves are all north of $100 though as well.  If you're in for a a penny you're in for a pound.  

In addition to the Z-Palm Glove through the end of the month you receive a free set of the Z-Pro Palms ( $59.99 value ),  so you have 2 sets of palms and the ability to change / replace or further customize your gloves.

I have done alot of demos with the Z-Palm and I get a very strong response from the Z-Fit Palms as well.

All that said I am sure with the current marketplace there are a lot of gloves out there to be had at discounted prices,  so perhaps he could still find something for $50 and be happy enough.

I only brought up the Z-Palm since it has a solution to a lot of players who wear out the exact same spot on their top hand glove-  With some gloves I have seen that heel area wear much faster than what I would consider normal.  YMMV.

FWIW-  I have seen many players wear out the same spot and large tape balls at the top of the stick exacerbate the problem.  I have seen some players use a dremel to 45 off that leading edge which works very well also.

QLT 290 is CCM. yes, its north of 100, but still 60 dollars cheaper. My guess is from the rest of his gear decisions and questions, he may even want to go down a level or two from that budget wise. Id love for true to have a more tapered fit option for me to check out with the Zpalms, but i just didnt like the fit of either model personally.

the warrior QR3 from last year are being cleared out around 70 bucks and may actually be a good option for him as well now that i think of it. If it had mesh gussets, i would be in them myself.

If you think you like the Itechs, just wait until you actually wear a modern glove. The new ones are so much better it is ridiculous.

I am a big fan of the QLT gloves, but the palms have showed pilling more than other brands in the same amount of usage. I blame it on the palms being ridiculously soft and comfortable. I am by no means pushing you away from them as they are my goto pair right now.

As @IPv6Freely stated you should look at Tacki-Mac. Thoses things are saviours on glove palms and really make a huge difference.

I'd completely ignore the True gloves to be honest, like Stewie said they don't really have an anatomical glove and the zippers feel like the gussets are too tall and the glove is too sloppy on your hands.

While these aren't anatomical fitting gloves, they are probably the best deal out there right now.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Sherwood_True_Touch_T120_4_Roll_Hockey_Gloves_Sr/descpage-ST120G.html

This is a close second.

http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Pro_10_Gloves/itm/18895-41/?mtx_id=0

52 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Regular tape can be brutal on palms. Look into something like Tacki-mac (http://www.icewarehouse.com/search.html#tacki) , Buttendz or even just covering your preferred standard tape job with some stretch grip tape: http://www.icewarehouse.com/Renfrew_Stretch_Grip_Hockey_Stick_Tape/descpage-RSRT.html

I'll 2nd the stretch grip.  I used to destroy the palm of my top hand after a couple months.  Started using a layer of stretch grip over regular white tape, and have no holes after 3 years.  Bonus is I like the cushiony feel it gives.

3 hours ago, Hills said:

I'd completely ignore the True gloves to be honest, like Stewie said they don't really have an anatomical glove and the zippers feel like the gussets are too tall and the glove is too sloppy on your hands.

They don't?  Weird.

XC series is their anatomical fit.  They do fit larger than many companies gloves-  Michel Ferland consulted on the gloves-  the 14" fits more like a 14.5" and the 13" fits like a 13.5".

I generally prefer 4-Rolls and the 6.0SBP in 14" was a really nice fit,  but I made a point of trying everything in the line on and found the XC 13" to fit very nicely.  That was my personal experience,  but if I had just completely ignored the XC I wouldn't have learned anything.

I never learned anything in life by completely ignoring anything.  It never hurt anyone to keep an open mind.

Is there any non-anecdotal evidence that black wears quicker than white? I think the black ink shows more on gloves, but I don't buy the idea that somehow the dye has something in it that degrades leather or fake leather or whatever palm material. 

1 hour ago, start_today said:

Brad Marchand manages to muddle by in the NHL with a hole in his top hand. Maybe just go with it?

Ny9kUjY.jpg

THE RAT!  :)

For the amount of years he has had in the league I am surprised nobody hasn't given him a Ricci Lift.

this is is all good stuff..Thanks  i will look at the stretch grip and taki mac.. the gloves are very usable for now so I have time to shop...  but only have one real shop here in Nashville  so trying gloves on might be tough... Dr. said  NO hockey for at least four weeks  so I don't start bleeding internally again... maybe all the way to thanksgiving... so I might see what is   on sale for Xmas deals... or this years z palms are on next years clearance deals...   trying gloves in the shop is one thing...actually using them while playing is a whole other thing...  could be a big decision.  BUT if I keep falling and get hurt, Maybe I will just switch to goalie...

i can definitely vouch for the Tacki Mac grips - my current set of gloves have lasted over 2 seasons without any wear showing (they used to start pilling and would wear through within half a season).

For the record i use the Pro style (used to be called the Kane grip i think). which has the ribbing.

I normally bulk order them now every year or so.

Don't use stick tape for your grip, the adhesive can transfer to the glove and it can be toxic to the palm material. Medical tape is about the best you can use, especially hypo allergenic tape.

Do you hold the ball (the top of the stick) in your hand? This can cause you to chew thru palms really fast.

Whilst a new pair of gloves is a nice to have, if you are on a budget then hunt ebay or other forums like the sell forum here. I've got all of mine and my kids gloves from these places for around US$60 each (all new or near new in perfect condition) and we are talking top of the line gloves from the last few years, Bauer pro 4 roll, apx2, MX3, Franchise, AX1, QR, RS, HTX, CCM pro 4R etc etcccc (I'm a bit of a gear hog with gloves). If you have 4 weeks off then plenty of time to have a look around. What size are you?

12 hours ago, Zac911 said:

They don't?  Weird.

XC series is their anatomical fit.  They do fit larger than many companies gloves-  Michel Ferland consulted on the gloves-  the 14" fits more like a 14.5" and the 13" fits like a 13.5".

I generally prefer 4-Rolls and the 6.0SBP in 14" was a really nice fit,  but I made a point of trying everything in the line on and found the XC 13" to fit very nicely.  That was my personal experience,  but if I had just completely ignored the XC I wouldn't have learned anything.

I never learned anything in life by completely ignoring anything.  It never hurt anyone to keep an open mind.

When the anatomical fitting glove is falling off and shaking around on your hand more than competitors 4 roll gloves, there isn't really an anatomical glove regardless of what the marketing says.

I tried the 13" since the 14" were basically falling off of my hand, and my fingers were pushing out against the tips, so people might now have the ability to go down a size to fit better either.

Another vote for Tacki-Macs, I wore through my first pair (albeit cheaper pair) of gloves in about a half season using standard hockey tape. I upgraded to APX2s and at the same time started using the Tacki-Mac Command grip. I've been using the APX2s for a full season now and they still look close to new. Cheap insurance for what can sometimes be an expensive pair of gloves. It took me a game or two to get used to the slightly thicker Tacki-Mac, but after that, good to go.

The ITECH's are 15"...  the knob I made I like to let hang just out the end of the glove.... knob is not eating heel... holes are up at base of middle and ring finger... guessing I have to remove the twisted tape coil I strung down the handle and covered with tape too.. and try the other options suggested here

A very simple and effective way to not have tape ruin your gloves (IMHO tape is the number 1 palm killer) is just apply a little bit of baby powder to a fresh tape job.  It doesn't effect the grip much at all once its worked in, and it removes all the stickiness of the tape.  The tape nor the powder will leave any residue on gloves.

I've been doing this for years, and my palms always last since I started doing it. 

I've given Tacki Macs a try on a couple occasions.  For some reason I just didn't like the feel of them.  That probably just goes back to the fact a lot of us are just creatures of habit, and I just didn't like the feel (I'm a tape minimalist on my stick's top hand).  However, I can see the Tacki Mac being a great solution to preventing palm wear.

As others have said, grip tape and medical tape work well too.  Even just putting a ring of shin guard tape on the knob reduces a ton of unwanted wear on the palms.

Finally, I have heard forever that black tape promotes palm wear due to the dyes in it, and I just don't believe it.  I've used black tape numerous times over the years for my grip, and have seen no more (or less) palm wear than with white (other than the black tape definitely leaves more marks on the palm than white).  I firmly believe that whole rumor started or has continued because some schlep has put the black, sticky, friction tape for their grip, not knowing any better, and its just destroyed their palms. 

12 hours ago, Hills said:

When the anatomical fitting glove is falling off and shaking around on your hand more than competitors 4 roll gloves, there isn't really an anatomical glove regardless of what the marketing says.

I tried the 13" since the 14" were basically falling off of my hand, and my fingers were pushing out against the tips, so people might now have the ability to go down a size to fit better either.

Fair enough.  They are an Anatonical Fit,  but higher volume.  Meaning the break point on the front facing materials is more in line with how your knuckles roll at an angle when you make a fist.  Perhaps there is some confusion on what a truly anatomical fit is.

It's not Anatomical in the sense like Bauer where it's very streamlined and close to the hand.  FWIW during my time selling Bauer I had many dealers that complained that Supreme was hot in terms of temp since it was so close to the hand and not much room for ventilation.  I covered a diverse territory and in some parts it was somewhat popular,  but in warmer climates it did not sell well at all.

I appreciate that you at least took the time to try them on.  :)

18 minutes ago, Zac911 said:

Fair enough.  They are an Anatonical Fit,  but higher volume.  Meaning the break point on the front facing materials is more in line with how your knuckles roll at an angle when you make a fist.  Perhaps there is some confusion on what a truly anatomical fit is.

It's not Anatomical in the sense like Bauer where it's very streamlined and close to the hand.  FWIW during my time selling Bauer I had many dealers that complained that Supreme was hot in terms of temp since it was so close to the hand and not much room for ventilation.  I covered a diverse territory and in some parts it was somewhat popular,  but in warmer climates it did not sell well at all.

I appreciate that you at least took the time to try them on.  :)

I apologize on misunderstanding the anatomical fit, which to me like you correctly guessed was thinking it meant tighter fitting to the hand.