Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Labrat198

Broken Copper Rivet

Somehow managed to pop the washer end off one of the copper rivets on my skate heel last night. My understanding is the copper rivets are stronger than the steel rivets and are put on the heels for that reason. I have had my LHS replace a steel rivet but I am not sure if they have copper. I am wondering first if I should get the rivet fixed ASAP or if I can wait until I get my skates sharpened again (about 5 more games) without risking another rivet giving out. If my LHS does not have copper should I find a place that does or just get the steel rivet even if I might have to replace it again sooner rather than later? 

I am about 5'10" and 215 Lbs if that matters

I would not skate with a missing or loose copper heel rivet. They are subjected to the most stress of all the rivets. That's why they put the copper rivets there. Once one is gone, the rest will quickly loosen and the holder can rip off. It happened to me playing roller hockey. It was the weirdest sensation. I thought my ankle had given way. Those were CCM RH455's I believe and they didn't have rigid soles like on today's skates. The Chassis pulled away from only the heel of the skate. The hockey repair shop told me that the copper rivet got loose and it started a domino effect with the other rivets.

I agree with Larry54, I wouldn't skate on it without getting a replacement put in. Almost any local shop should have those rivets on hand since it's pretty common. Should only take them about 5-10min max to pop a new one in. Shouldn't cost more than $5 either. 

Thanks! I took a better look at it last night and I think I might have them replace the steel rivet in front of it also. It seems ok if I am just picking at it with my fingernails but I get some travel as soon as I put any pressure on the holder. Once the copper rivet is back I think it will be more noticeable.

Duluth, Mn

I have a couple of options here, but so I should be ok. Otherwise I was thinking of having the steel put in now and finding a place to replace it with a copper when I am down for the Fall Fiesta.