Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoot_the_goalie

why do so many people switch to Tuuk holders?

Noticed that a lot of people change out holders on non-Bauer skates to Tuuk holders.  Any performance reason for this?  or is it really just the ease to change out runners with the trigger system vs. bolts, etc.?

Perhaps because when Bauer user switches the brand he finds it difficult to adjust to things like forward pitch,  attack angle, and 11' blade profile . I doubt a lifelong  CCM or Easton, or Graf user would just throw Tuuk holder for the hell of it.

I've used Tuuks my whole life, just what I'm comfortable on. Also I like to go up a holder size so there's that too. And with the edge system it makes swapping steel easy which is a nice convenience to have as well. 

12 hours ago, the_game said:

I've used Tuuks my whole life, just what I'm comfortable on. Also I like to go up a holder size so there's that too. And with the edge system it makes swapping steel easy which is a nice convenience to have as well. 

I think it's mostly this way for lots of players. Everywhere you look is Bauer which is bundled with TUUK. Once a player finds something that works for them, they generally stick with it. I don't have the edge holders but I do have the LS2's which is also super quick to swap steel with. Single bolt under the foot bed and it pops right out.

14 hours ago, Stryker said:

Less placebo and more convenience for the EQM now when considering the edge system

I'll buy this argument for pros, but not the average Joe.  I can also say if someone is used to say custom+, they might not be able to easily adapt to the increased height of a Speedblade holder.  Also, the pitch of Cobras could be a reason to change.

Other than that, I still say it's mostly placebo.  I've skated on pretty much every holder to ever be on the market, (except Quickblade and Pitch), heck I'm so old i started on tube skates.  In my opinion, the difference from holder to holder is negligible.

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

I'll buy this argument for pros, but not the average Joe.  I can also say if someone is used to say custom+, they might not be able to easily adapt to the increased height of a Speedblade holder.  Also, the pitch of Cobras could be a reason to change.

Other than that, I still say it's mostly placebo.  I've skated on pretty much every holder to ever be on the market, (except Quickblade and Pitch), heck I'm so old i started on tube skates.  In my opinion, the difference from holder to holder is negligible.

As an average Joe whom used to skate Bauer, but switched to Graf 4 years ago, and a month ago switched back to Bauer I can say that I like the TUUK better. It did take about 2 games and a public session for me to adjust to feeling like I'm more on my heels compared to the forward pitch of the Graf with the Ultra 5000 holder. Everything just feels more comfortable and balanced to me, especially skating backwards. The convenience of being able to swap out the steel quickly is nice, but my main "it" factor is being back in a skate without the forward pitch. Everyone is different though. 

2 hours ago, boo10 said:

You should ask Haggerty if he feels the difference between CXN holders and just about every other one on the market. Some are definitely stiffer than others while pitch will vary too. Remember a holder's pitch will compound or negate a boot's pitch. 

5 hours ago, boo10 said:

Love the Pitch3, going to try and get them on my current and future skates while I can. I started on Custom+, so I think I still like the flexier holders. However, I love the pitch of the Cobras, and even though they're much stiffer than those other two, I like them just fine in terms of maneuverability.

4 hours ago, beedee said:

As an average Joe whom used to skate Bauer, but switched to Graf 4 years ago, and a month ago switched back to Bauer I can say that I like the TUUK better. It did take about 2 games and a public session for me to adjust to feeling like I'm more on my heels compared to the forward pitch of the Graf with the Ultra 5000 holder. Everything just feels more comfortable and balanced to me, especially skating backwards. The convenience of being able to swap out the steel quickly is nice, but my main "it" factor is being back in a skate without the forward pitch. Everyone is different though. 

Done both and like the Cobras much more. Skating in Bauers on Tuuks feels like riding a granny bike compared to Grafs on Cobras as a road racing bike to me. Like you said, it's all PP.

This is kinda on topic with the discussion but to go hand in hand with the holder, is there a significant noticeable difference in the steel that is inserted into said holder? I would think the steel would be more noticeable than the holder itself since the steel is the surface hitting the ice. For me, I had LS2 steel in my skates and when LS3 came out and it was time for new runners, I used that. I'm about due for new runners again and I plan on trying out the step steel because so many people give good praise for it. 

Except is a few cases like someone on grafs who wants a more neutral stance, I'd say it's mostly placebo.  Those who say they grew up whole life on Tuuks  fail to realize that TUUK+ holders are nothing like LS Holders, different plastic and entirely different orientation.  If they made that change OK, they'd have no problem using another companies holder.

8 hours ago, Bakum said:

This is kinda on topic with the discussion but to go hand in hand with the holder, is there a significant noticeable difference in the steel that is inserted into said holder? I would think the steel would be more noticeable than the holder itself since the steel is the surface hitting the ice. For me, I had LS2 steel in my skates and when LS3 came out and it was time for new runners, I used that. I'm about due for new runners again and I plan on trying out the step steel because so many people give good praise for it. 

It's more about how well the steel will hold an edge and how straight it is. For example I have seen a lot of stock steel on graf skates that was bent out of the box. A higher grade steel will hold an edge for longer.

1 hour ago, Vet88 said:

It's more about how well the steel will hold an edge and how straight it is. For example I have seen a lot of stock steel on graf skates that was bent out of the box. A higher grade steel will hold an edge for longer.

That totally makes sense. That's partly why I generally stuck with the LS2/LS3 steel when I needed runners. They last quite a while. I was thinking more along the lines of like the HyperGlide in CCM's or the Blacksteel which claim to have smoother glides on the ice to enhance performance. I can't imagine it's a super noticeable difference other than the price tag. Like Blacksteel is $129 for the pair or the Bauer Fusion is super pricey too.

1 hour ago, Monty22 said:

I've found the CCM Hyperglide steel to be very poor at edge retention. 

Really, because I've had the exact opposite experience with the Hyperglides. I usually get 2-3 months out of a sharpening skating 2-3 times a week plus coaching. Granted I use a fairly shallow hollow. I was coming from LS runners on the Vapor X70's I had before my Tacks. What kind of runners do you use?

3 hours ago, Bakum said:

That totally makes sense. That's partly why I generally stuck with the LS2/LS3 steel when I needed runners. They last quite a while. I was thinking more along the lines of like the HyperGlide in CCM's or the Blacksteel which claim to have smoother glides on the ice to enhance performance. I can't imagine it's a super noticeable difference other than the price tag. Like Blacksteel is $129 for the pair or the Bauer Fusion is super pricey too.

I've used blacksteel and fusion, I liked the blacksteel but not enough to say it's that much better than velocity steel. Whilst my son hasn't had any issues with his fusions, there are a lot of reports about its durability and I find it interesting that whilst it is still made it is not promoted on any skate now, that in itself tells a story.

If you have a look at the equipment list from a nhl team, it's hard to go past the fact that the majority of players in Bauer skates are using ls3. If I had the spare cash I'd get an ls3 Blackedge coated blade but just the plain old vanilla ls3 is still one of the best buys.

11 minutes ago, Vet88 said:

I've used blacksteel and fusion, I liked the blacksteel but not enough to say it's that much better than velocity steel. Whilst my son hasn't had any issues with his fusions, there are a lot of reports about its durability and I find it interesting that whilst it is still made it is not promoted on any skate now, that in itself tells a story.

If you have a look at the equipment list from a nhl team, it's hard to go past the fact that the majority of players in Bauer skates are using ls3. If I had the spare cash I'd get an ls3 Blackedge coated blade but just the plain old vanilla ls3 is still one of the best buys.

Right on. I'm on LS3 now so i'm debating the Step Steel or just going with another set of LS3. Sounds like the difference is negligible and my LHS carries LS3 but I would need to order Step.