Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgold47

swapping profiled blades between skates

I have two different pairs of skates, both with LS2 Runners/254mm.  If I wanted to experiment with different profiles (9, 10, etc...), can I have the second pair profiled, and then just swap that steel to the first pair of skates?  Or, is the profile going to be affected by the skate its attached to?  

thanks

1 hour ago, jgold47 said:

I have two different pairs of skates, both with LS2 Runners/254mm.  If I wanted to experiment with different profiles (9, 10, etc...), can I have the second pair profiled, and then just swap that steel to the first pair of skates?  Or, is the profile going to be affected by the skate its attached to?  

The only time it will be affected is if it's a different boot / runner. So if you're swapping between a Bauer and Easton for example, the Easton has more of a pitch to the runner. If you're swapping between 2 of a similar pair of skates (same Make & Model Line), then you'll be fine. It's only the blade itself that's profiled and shaved.

p.s. you won't really notice much difference between a 9" and 10"... I used to have a 10" radius.. I've switched a tri-profile (6, 12, 20) and love it.. I thought I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but can. Even if you go for a dual profile, it's worth it. With a 9" to 10" radius you've got a small amount of extra blade on the ice. If you go upto 12-13" you can definitely tell the difference and quick turning will become more and more of an issue..

Just now, RickDC said:

p.s. you won't really notice much difference between a 9" and 10"... I used to have a 10" radius.. I've switched a tri-profile (6, 12, 20) and love it.. I thought I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but can. Even if you go for a dual profile, it's worth it. With a 9" to 10" radius you've got a small amount of extra blade on the ice. If you go upto 12-13" you can definitely tell the difference and quick turning will become more and more of an issue..

1. Thanks for the advice. I may try 11'

2. One is a pair of nexus and the other is an older pair of flexlites.  So same holder/runner but not the same boot. 

Profiled runners have its center point. It would be changed by boots shape or holder place.
If you want to try it in real feeling, I'd recommend you that don't swap runners between different skates.

I think that would be really tough to do an "analysis"... it would take you a few skates to figure out if the profile is good for you.. you may hate it to begin with, muscle memory might be all over the place... If anything I'd keep 2 blades, give yourself a fixed time-frame, and give them a try on your regular skates (which I'm assuming are your Nexus). Try them for 2 weeks, write down what you like and don't like. Then swap the blades out with the other and report back after 2 weeks as well. Then make a decision.

I'm a "tweaker" and love changing things around to see how they affect things... I moved from SuperFeets to SpeedPlates and now just moved back to SuperFeets again... I try different gear, different sticks.. but one thing I try them out for a minimum of 2 weeks (which is around 7-8 games for me).. then go back to what I was using before. Then sell what I didn't like ;-) 

Try and get your LHS to do a combo profile like an 8 / 13.. you'll probably like it more than just trying to go from 9" to 11" 

I think that your original post has been misunderstood. I believe you mean that you want to get the runners on one pair of skates profiled to a different profile than the other pair. Then you would try both sets of runners on the same pair of skates by alternating between the two runner sets to compare. IOW you just want to use the second pair of skates as a "holder" to get the second runner set profiled, right? The skates that the runners are on should not affect how the sharpener will profile them.

13 minutes ago, Larry54 said:

I think that your original post has been misunderstood. I believe you mean that you want to get the runners on one pair of skates profiled to a different profile than the other pair. Then you would try both sets of runners on the same pair of skates by alternating between the two runner sets to compare. IOW you just want to use the second pair of skates as a "holder" to get the second runner set profiled, right? The skates that the runners are on should not affect how the sharpener will profile them.

Correct. I want to use the nexus as a holder, since I don't want to screw around with swapping the flexlite runner until I'm ready. I also don't have a ton of time to get this done and with games starting Friday, I don't want to risk screwing something up. So I wanted to drop the nexus at the shop and have them here for when I am ready. 

16 hours ago, jgold47 said:

I'm confused then how places like no-icing do it when you are just sending them blades to profile/sharpen?

When I worked in a shop I would put the blades into a holder before sharpening.  Not 100% necessary but it's still better than touching the steel with your bare hands.

On 9/3/2016 at 10:56 AM, jgold47 said:

Correct. I want to use the nexus as a holder, since I don't want to screw around with swapping the flexlite runner until I'm ready. I also don't have a ton of time to get this done and with games starting Friday, I don't want to risk screwing something up. So I wanted to drop the nexus at the shop and have them here for when I am ready. 

You'll be fine, but as someone said above, your body mechanics and muscle memory will need time to adjust between different radius. Usually 6 outings is enough. As also said above, there is very little difference in feel  between a 1' radius difference.  Almost unnoticeable, yet the performance change is there.

so just to update, I took both pairs of skates to a nearby LHS (not the normal place I got to - long story), and asked for the flexlites to be sharpened and pitched 1 forward (would keep the blade at 9'), and the nexus's done to 11' forward 1, (they didnt have a 10' bar).  I go to pick them up and the guy mixed them up!.  Keep in mind the flexlites are my main skates!.  I was shitting bricks since I had a game in 2 hours, but decided just to give it a try (I'm not that good of a skater anyways!).   I skated in the 11' flexlites, and it was wonderful.  I could really tell a difference (and we were skating on an olympic sheet thats kept pretty soft for the figure skaters), and I had no shin splits/abnormal leg fatigue.  I truely couldnt corner hard on the 11', but I could cross over ok, skate backward ok, and stop.  

I'm sure a little bit of it was adrenaline, but the change was not as debilitating as I was expecting it to be.