Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolarWind

1n vs 1s stick

I tried searching but only 1x stuff came up

has anyone played with both 1n and 1s sticks and can offer any feedback?

Specifically I'm curious how 1s compares with 1n in terms of the puck feel and shooting wrists and snaps?

i realize that low kick point sticks are advertised for these types of shot but having tried several including apx/apx2 I couldn't get the same accuracy and velocity as with mid-kick sticks.

any feedback would be appreciated.

Yep, 1S is much more dampened than the 1X. I liked both but the 1X tailors to my game more. The cool thing about the 1S is that I could feel that thing flex below my top hand, especially on big shots. Depending on what you're looking to get out of your stick, you're not going to go wrong either way. 

40 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

He is looking for info on the 1N, not 1X. But yes, the 1X should be the least dampened out the 3. 

Touche. 1N's puck feel is more similar to the 1S than the 1X. The 1N's release feels somewhat similar to the 1X just in the sense that you can get the puck off without too much effort but it didn't have as much quick zip. When you really want to crank one out, the 1N kicks more like mid-kick. 

The 1N and 1S will offer almost identical puck feel. Wrist shots will come off easier and smoother with the 1N. Slap shots and snap shots will come off with a bit more zip using the 1S but what you gain in zip you lose in release. I've used both and personally I think the 1N stick is one of the best sticks to come out while I wasn't really excited or wowed by what the 1S played like. 

I talked with the Bauer rep at the gear expo at my local rink for a bit.  I had gone to test the 1N and 1S.  I was looking for more "pop" and velocity out of my shots and thought I could get it from the 1S.  I had been using a 77 1N P88.  It just didn't have the kick I was looking for.

He explained to me the way he suggests choosing which stick in the Bauer line to use.  It comes down to where in your stance you usually shoot the puck from.  If you shoot from around your front foot or off the wrong foot, then use Vapor.  If you shoot from towards the front to the middle of your stance, use Nexus.  And if you shoot from behind the middle, use Supreme.  It comes down to how long you have to load and then release the stick.  The further forward in your stance, the shorter the load and release time.  Obviously there are variations to this, and you take different shots.  But he said to get the stick based on what you do most often because there isn't a stick that's perfect at everything.  He said he sees a lot of players want Supreme because they want a rocket slapper, but take more wrist or snap shots in a game.  So they end up with a stick that isn't best suited for what they do most, just to get a benefit they don't use nearly as often.  He also said that with the new method of cross-laying the fibers, all 3 lines will load more easily and release faster and harder.  So the difference is really about the release point rather than power vs quickness like it used to be.  And you also might be able to go up a flex level to get a little more pop.  He watched me shoot some pucks, and said I should definitely be shooting a 1X.  And I should look into the P28 curve because since I carry my hands so far in front of my body, I'd get some benefit from it.  But this was before the 2016 1X with the new fibers was out, so I couldn't test it.

He was absolutely right.  I bought a 87 1N P28, and got a lot more velocity and pop from it immediately.  I could load it as easily as all the 77 flex sticks I had before that, but the benefit of the stiffer flex.  In the past, I have had a hard time getting any load on low-kick sticks, even in 77 flex.  So my shots lacked pop.  So, I was hesitant to get a 1X, despite what he had said.  But Hockey Monkey had a demo program, so I gave it a shot.  It's the best stick I have used for myself.  I could load the 77 flex, and was able to get really good velocity.  The release was so much faster compared to even my 1N.  I was able to snap off quick, hard, stable shots with little effort.  I liked the puck feel better too.  But it had to go back to HM, and I've found that my 1N isn't giving as good results.  What I thought was great isn't as good when compared to the Vapor, which is the stick best suited for my style.

In your case, I'd really consider the 2016 1X.  Your describing my shot preferences and history with low-kick sticks.  But the new 1X was better than any that I have used in the past.  I can finally get the performance to match the stick best suited for my style.