Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bunnyman666

Project Modernetro- read more about it

I have wondered what to do with my set of 12" wide Vortek pads that went from a 34+2" to a 34-2" pad. I was thinking of turning them into the rink lender pads, but I put a LOT of work into them, and anyone who is familiar with my Instagram account knows this. Not only have I cut them down, but I have relocated the knee flaps and reworked the calf wedge to be more friendly to the butterfly style of play. I am now performing a toe trim and permanently attaching the toe bridge amongst other things. 

I was thinking of buying a set of Richter-inspired pads on sale at another forum, but it left me thinking like this: why not build a set around my Vortek pads?

There are more than a couple of builders ready and willing to build off of the old classics- pre lockout Eagles, Vaughn T-1000 and the like. Nobody would build me a Cooper Legends glove (sad, I know),  so I have to go with the classics with the HUGE catching surfaces and ALL of the cheaters installed.

How is this retro? 12" width, no plus on the thigh rise. How is it modern? Elastic toe ties, Monster K-strap, no leather straps, and box-design, non-functioning hints of knee rolls with some old touches. Of course the silver weave was not a colour option back in the day. But the glove will be both modern AND retro at the same time. I like the side board on modern blockers WAY too much to abandon them, so I will do the modern blocker. Even my skates (Vaughn GX-1) are based on an old Bauer Supreme 7000 skate (down to the stitching on the side), and of course I wear a modern version of an SK2000 with a cheater cage.

If I can figure out how to post pix, they will be here; otherwise, you can find my Instagram account.

Update: PAW is building me a retro glove based on a t2000. She is also going to mod a Ventus glove to have a Nash face. I am going broadly McLean inspired, as the catching surface of my T2000 look alike is also Nash. I am going to spec a high-wear material along the bottom edge of my blocker so I can put pad wrap along the bottom edge of the blocker (I do this on EVERY blocker as it helps with wear). My Vaughn in their crummy retro tan looks brand new thanks to this technique (and lots of Sno Seal). 

Yes-the glove is a bit over the top expense-wise, but every example of a glove from that era is smelly and in desperate need of a rebuild. I would rather not spend the money on an old one, then having it rebuilt as by the time I'm done, I could have just gotten a brand new example of one.