Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

60PlusWinger

Half Shield w/ mouth guard vs Cage?

I sold my re-akt cage when I switched to a visor. So I can either buy a new cage (they aren't cheap!) or use it as an excuse to get a new helmet ;)

On 10/13/2016 at 7:18 AM, tpedersen3118 said:

As dumb as if might sound I actually went and painted a layer of flat white over the inside of my Oreo cage. The white paint Bauer used was glossy and was annoying 

I use a CCM Resistance 300 white cage, the paint is perfect. 

On 10/13/2016 at 8:09 AM, freeflyer14 said:

2 ER visits later, I went back to a cage.  I use the Bauer ReAKT titanium and it is amazing how light it is.  I won't lie and say it's better than a visor, but is certainly better than another ER visit at 1am after a beer league game because some idiot can't control their stick.  I used a cage for the vast majority of my hockey "career" (mite through college and now beer leagues), and it is simply the way to go for those of us not getting paid to play.  I have since lost count how many more ER visits I would have needed since I started using the cage between all the pucks, sticks, and elbows.  Do yourself a favor and use it, and make a mental reminder every time you take a shot to the cage that otherwise would have resulted in missed work, lost money, and pain.

I used to use the Re-AKT Titanium, but found myself watching the puck through the bars as it came to my stick; very distracting. As in, "Ok here comes the pass, I see it fine through this square, gonna lose it for an instant, ok, pick it up again in this square, and one last bar, ok here it is." I mean, looking at the ice, I was so aware of the cage. Not any more though (thanks to MSH, as I was pretty frustrated when I got this tip on these forums). And yes, the Titanium cage is so light; noticeably lighter than the cage I am using now, but I'd take vision over a little bit of extra weight anytime.

I wear a half cage half visor. Any sort of temptation I have of going to just a half visor goes away when I take a nice close look at the number of scratches I have on the half cage half visor. Each one is probably one tooth that got saved. I've learned that I can be the most safe player on the planet but not everyone else is. It just takes one reckless second to cause you weeks or months of pain. 

Are you guys buying helmets with bars the size of NFL facemasks? I can't figure out how a few bars each 1mm wide can impair your vision. If guys playing D1 hockey can make it work, seems like people playing adult league should be ok with it. 

17 hours ago, start_today said:

Are you guys buying helmets with bars the size of NFL facemasks? I can't figure out how a few bars each 1mm wide can impair your vision. If guys playing D1 hockey can make it work, seems like people playing adult league should be ok with it. 

The most common complaint I hear doesn't have anything to do with seeing through the bars. It's that the full cage blocks the peripheral vision by your feet, so you have to look down when the puck gets into your feet.

I've heard that too, and I can't figure out what blocks peripheral vision down, unless it's guys who hang their cage, so the chin cup gets in the way. In which case, maybe people need to just wear the equipment correctly. 

5 hours ago, start_today said:

I've heard that too, and I can't figure out what blocks peripheral vision down, unless it's guys who hang their cage, so the chin cup gets in the way. In which case, maybe people need to just wear the equipment correctly. 

It's the whole bottom of the cage that blocks the peripheral, the chin cup included. We're talking at the extreme edge of their peripheral vision here. One time I forgot my helmet and had to rent one that only had a visor. I could tell that I could see at my feet a lot better, but it's not worth my teeth. 

To demonstrate this, just grip your chin with your hand then take it away. You'll notice how much it can actually obstruct your view of what's below. 

On 10/24/2016 at 11:51 AM, start_today said:

It is not the size of the bars that bothered me- the Re-AKT titanium were as thin as they come. The problem was just having a grid superimposed over the ice, and the puck moving in and out of grid boxes as it came to me. It was just distracting. But I like my teeth, so I dealt with it, until I got the tip about the white cage.

On October 25, 2016 at 1:58 AM, puckpilot said:

It's the whole bottom of the cage that blocks the peripheral, the chin cup included. We're talking at the extreme edge of their peripheral vision here. One time I forgot my helmet and had to rent one that only had a visor. I could tell that I could see at my feet a lot better, but it's not worth my teeth. 

To demonstrate this, just grip your chin with your hand then take it away. You'll notice how much it can actually obstruct your view of what's below. 

This is interesting, because I actually put my hand over my chin was I was typing out my initial post, and couldnt see it. I Even went so far as to get out my helmet on and really concentrate on looking down. 

It probably comes down to your face shape, chin size, and how your eyes are set, which has never, ever occurred to me. No matter how much I try, I can't see the chin up, or create a situation where the cage reduces vision.

As much as it pains me to say it, I maybe shouldn't use my individual experience to generalize to everyone else. 

I love my concept 3 visor/shield. I don't notice any effect on my lower field of view, nice clear view through the top, light enough. I use some lemon pledge before the game and it rarely fogs. One of my favorite pieces of gear I own.

4 hours ago, start_today said:

This is interesting, because I actually put my hand over my chin was I was typing out my initial post, and couldnt see it. I Even went so far as to get out my helmet on and really concentrate on looking down. 

It probably comes down to your face shape, chin size, and how your eyes are set, which has never, ever occurred to me. No matter how much I try, I can't see the chin up, or create a situation where the cage reduces vision.

As much as it pains me to say it, I maybe shouldn't use my individual experience to generalize to everyone else. 

That's my experience too. I can't see the chin cup of my Reakt cage when looking straight down. When standing and looking straight ahead While wearing the cage I can see my toecaps in my peripheral vision; and in a proper hockey stance, looking straight ahead I see my knees in my peripheral vision. It's good enough for me since I don't carry the puck between my feet because I would need a stick lie of... oh... around 25 to do so. :wink:

8 hours ago, start_today said:

Oh man, now I'm going to get a complex about the size of my chin. By gosh, I look like a fat Jay Leno. :D

5 minutes ago, vinprun71 said:

Dear Lord. I hope you heal up quickly. I'm assuming that was from a stick?

Thanks, and yes.. on a forecheck.. guy went hard to lift my stick, his blade went under my visor - I have no idea how it didn't damage my eyeball, but I have a hole in my eyelid, hole in my lip.. I'm sticking my cage back on my helmet - but hey.. anyone want to buy some visors?? :wink:

After 5-6 years of playing with visor and mouthguard I am trying to play with a cage, and it is not going so well. I have a Bauer 4500 lid and the cage I'm using is a CCM 480 that came with a CCM lid I bought some years ago. My Bauer lid is size medium, but the cage is size large. Here is the problem I'm having: if I wear my helmet somewhat loosely, the way I do with my visor, the cage tends to go downwards, obstructing my vision. The only way the cage doesn't go downward is if I wear my helmet as tightly as possible. The problem with doing this is that it is extremely uncomfortable, making it feel like my head is in a vice.

Any suggestions on what cage I could try that would wouldn't pull downward when I wear my helmet with comfortable settings? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I can't recommend a specific cage, but I'm thinking the simplest thing is replace the metal cage with a plastic full face shield that's lighter. Now the trick is actually find one. 

I'm not familiar with Baur helmets right now, so I'm not sure if they can do the same, but Warrior Krowns helmets, which I use, can adjust width and length for better fit when snug. I used to get headaches because helmets were too narrow, but not any more. So that might be another expensive option. 

7 hours ago, jmiami said:

After 5-6 years of playing with visor and mouthguard I am trying to play with a cage, and it is not going so well. I have a Bauer 4500 lid and the cage I'm using is a CCM 480 that came with a CCM lid I bought some years ago. My Bauer lid is size medium, but the cage is size large. Here is the problem I'm having: if I wear my helmet somewhat loosely, the way I do with my visor, the cage tends to go downwards, obstructing my vision. The only way the cage doesn't go downward is if I wear my helmet as tightly as possible. The problem with doing this is that it is extremely uncomfortable, making it feel like my head is in a vice.

Any suggestions on what cage I could try that would wouldn't pull downward when I wear my helmet with comfortable settings? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Maybe the problem is the helmet and not the cage. If you have to clamp the bucket to your head to keep it from sliding around, then there's probably something out there that fits your head shape better. You obviously shouldn't have to give yourself a headache to keep your helmet secure, but it should probably fit more closely than that.

Howdy,

9 hours ago, jmiami said:

My suggestion is less about the helmet and more about the cage...  

Have you tried one of the titanium ones?  I found stuff got a LOT more comfortable when I switched to the much lighter cage vs. the bargain basement version.

Mark

9 hours ago, jmiami said:

I agree with the other guys, your helmet probably doesn't fit right. If your helmet pitches down with the weight of a cage that much, something about that helmet isn't correct.