Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Redhook

Are you friends with your beer league team mates?

On 10/7/2016 at 10:25 AM, chippa13 said:

Beer always goes well with pickup hockey. Nothing wrong with a quick soda at 10:30 after a skate.

its called breakfast beer.  works for Golf too.  those 6:20am tee times can make you REALLY thirsty. 

On 10/5/2016 at 4:52 PM, Zylos45 said:

Through hockey...I met a fabulous wine drinking "NY Jew" by the name of David Miller that I see once a summer (4x in the last 5 years)...... but sometimes it feels like I have known him for decades!

I have a way of making people feel like they have known me for a long time.  Most say too long!!!

On 10/6/2016 at 0:36 PM, badger_14 said:

I'm glad this thread exists because now I feel less like a social incompetent. :) But as a goalie I play mainly pickup, and only one of them is with a regular group.  I would say I am sort of friends with several of my Saturday folks.  They are friends with each other and several of them are academic colleagues, so it's hard to be like "hey can we be friends?" when people already have friends.  I was good friends with a teammate for a while, until he found out I was not straight, and then abruptly stopped talking to me.  More reasons not make friends.

Just saw this...  his loss.  What an ass.  

On 10/6/2016 at 0:36 PM, badger_14 said:

I'm glad this thread exists because now I feel less like a social incompetent. :) But as a goalie I play mainly pickup, and only one of them is with a regular group.  I would say I am sort of friends with several of my Saturday folks.  They are friends with each other and several of them are academic colleagues, so it's hard to be like "hey can we be friends?" when people already have friends.  I was good friends with a teammate for a while, until he found out I was not straight, and then abruptly stopped talking to me.  More reasons not make friends.

You're better off without him as a friend.

When I joined my current "league" which is more of an organized pickup with referee, my only expectation was to play hockey. I got into it through friends with whom I played roller hockey, so I already informally knew a few people there. I don't try to "force" friendships. I just let them develop naturally which happens when I find people who have similar interests to mine. I found out that a few team-mates were fellow musicians. And one guy who isn't but who's a music lover likes to have occasional parties so he invites the musicians for a little jam among other people. We have a great time, and our friendships are getting closer as time passes.

About half the guys are dressed and gone 10 minutes after the final buzzer, but a lot of us come early and stick around later bullshitting or watching other games, or having a beer in the parking lot in the spring and summer. Some of the guys have been friends for many years; others have been playing with and against one another for years and still hardly know one another's first names, which is a little weird to me.  The rest of us don't really have any connection outside of hockey, but we're friendly enough that there's a lot of reciprocal favors with current and former teammates, often in relation to what people do for a living. A lot of us have also showed up to one another's other hockey groups and I just rewrote a former teammate's website the other day. I'm sort of the unofficial divisional trainer because I have just about everything anybody could possibly need in my bag, spare/emergency gear in my car, and it's available to anybody if it's needed, not just my teammates. I also fix equipment for people and I have boxes of spare parts at home that are impossible to find when you need them..

I'm naturally friendly anytime I'm in a group, but I've essentially been a hermit for a long time because, with the exception of strippers, I really don't need or seek any social interaction that doesn't occur in my life organically, and I work at home. I started playing hockey again 2 years ago (I'd last played long before my wife and I met), so she really got a kick out of my interactions with the guys in my league because she never really saw me interact with a group of people socially (except in strip clubs when we go together). On the way home, she'd be talking about it and I'd go "See? I can be friendly...I have friends" in the same tone that Fredo said he was smart, not dumb, in Godfather II.

We used to have a great team and everyone hung out, drank beer and grilled after every game. Between the people that just want to have an audience for their stories, the people constantly complaining about ice time and some roster turnover, I've pretty much had my fill of it for a while. 

I'm on a great team this season. Everyone wants to hang out and drink beer and shoot the shit. It's a great time.