Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dlwst44

Do you see a lot of vintage helmets and/or gear in your adult league?

Just wondering what kind of vintage helmets and gear you see circulating around in your adult league hockey? I saw a few Cooper SK2000's around, a goalie had one on, and a few players. Saw a player with a old cat eye player cage with now pad around the jaw, just open at the bottom(now that was a rarity).

Yeah. There are a few other guys with old CCM HT2s and Cooper SK-2000s. I'm the only one wearing the original CCM Pro Standards with the foam side bumpers...all original, down to the leather chin straps. Naturally, when I ditched the half-shield last year after a few close calls, my choice for cages was a couple of vintage Pro-Tec cat-eyes but without the foam lip pad...just some tape around the bottom bar. I love all that old shit. Practically every time I show up at open hockey, someone asks how much I'd take for one of them.

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dlwst44 said:

Just wondering what kind of vintage helmets and gear you see circulating around in your adult league hockey? I saw a few Cooper SK2000's around, a goalie had one on, and a few players. Saw a player with a old cat eye player cage with now pad around the jaw, just open at the bottom(now that was a rarity).

I wear a Jofa 390 helmet and cage sometimes, Jofa 1560 leather gloves in red and black, and a pair of CCM 952 Kevlar Tacks. Everything under the clothes is new Graf, pads have come a long way, but vintage helmets, gloves, and skates are great. Have a pair of Reebok 3K's, and the Kevlar Tacks fit way better.

14 hours ago, YesLanges said:

Yeah. There are a few other guys with old CCM HT2s and Cooper SK-2000s. I'm the only one wearing the original CCM Pro Standards with the foam side bumpers...all original, down to the leather chin straps. Naturally, when I ditched the half-shield last year after a few close calls, my choice for cages was a couple of vintage Pro-Tec cat-eyes but without the foam lip pad...just some tape around the bottom bar. I love all that old shit. Practically every time I show up at open hockey, someone asks how much I'd take for one of them.

Where did you find those cat eye cages? What years did they make those? I've never heard of any other than the Cooper/Bauer HM 30, I just sold mine not long ago on ebay for $99, and it wasn't in perfect shape either.

One I had from college and the other one I found on ebay. There was another one listed recently that was actually new and unused. If the Link doesn't work, just extract the item # from the url and search for it in "completed auctions." I don't know when they started or stopped making them, but they were standard NCAA issue beginning the first season that cages were required (1979).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PRO-TEC-HOCKEY-FACE-GUARD-MASK-CAGE-NEW-NEVER-USED-W-INSTRUCTIONS-/351829256660?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=beYfJY2JiZvCcCEVlYjDPD7MYzg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Edited by YesLanges
  • Like 1

a few jofas around, one guy on my team even had one. theres a guy at sticks and pucks every now and again who has a northland stan mikita.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stewie said:

a few jofas around, one guy on my team even had one. theres a guy at sticks and pucks every now and again who has a northland stan mikita.

A NORTHLAND STAN MIKITA!!!! WOW, THAT THING SHOULD BE IN A MUSEUM, NOT BEING USED TO ACTUALLY SHOOT!!! If that thing breaks, I'd be livid!!!

The Russian embassy (my Saturday pickup group) pretty uniformly wears modern equipment.  There's one guy who wears a pair of Ducks-colors (teal and eggplant) Franklin gloves, and another guy has had the same skates for 20 years. 

Other places, I've seen the assorted jofa helmets and cat-eye cages, a Lanny MacDonald style helmet, and even one guy wearing one of those old helmets that's basically chunks of leather padding without an actual shell.  A lot of socks that were clearly issued in someone's youth hockey days ca. 1975.  Lots of gloves of the same vintage.

• Like 1

We have a good mix of stuff here.  Lots of old Jofa's.  Some guys where the old cat's eye cages.  A hand full of Cooper buckets.  I've got one myself but it has no foam left and is cracked.  Lots of CCM HT2.  A lot of the older guys playing higher level have switched over to newer stuff though.  I went from my Cooper 3000 to a Bauer 4500 so not much of a change for me.  I have a CCM HT2 for when I don't wear the cage.

I remember those clear CCM helmets that the little kids used to wear.  Strange times.  

16 hours ago, Machinehead2k5 said:

I used to  rock an old Jofa 246 with a half shield, then I got dumped on my head 2x in a season...

I don't know about those flimsy old Jofa's, but I think the 40-year-old CCM Pro Standard and HT-2s (with some versions of their original padding) are as protective that way as current helmets. I've had my skates pulled out from under me and hit the back of my head on the ice as hard as you can hit your head and I was fine.

There is a 79 year old in local 50+ league wearing a pair of Bauer Supreme skates from 1962. The guy holds his own out there, I spoke with him and he no longer drives...finds lifts to rink to play shinny. I'll get a pic and post it, amazing those skates have lasted about 55 years of 1-2 times a week hockey!

• Like 6

There's an invite/private pickup in Clearwater a couple of days a week, mostly over 50 all the way up to pushing 80. I would say more than half the gear there belongs on the wall of a sports bar or in a museum.

I wear an old HM40 cat eye cage, the lighter weight broomball/lacrosse/hockey brother of the HM30

I used to wear a half shield. After getting cut a couple times and the bridge of my nose peeled back I went back to a full cage, hated it. I had an old HM40 left over from my box lacrosse days, I've been wearing it for 7-8 years.

Played open on monday with a dude using the old Cooper bucket, with a new easton cage. (I wanted to ask him in he got it from Mr. Messier)  The cooper cage prolly rotted off.  and this helmet looked rode hard, and put up wet.  tons of marks on and s**t on it. and just a touch yellow.    Spoke to him after, just like a lot of guys out there, just getting back into the game after a long time off. 

• Like 1

I haven't seen him in a long time, but there was a goalie at some of the pickups I skate at who wore the old Mike Liut style mask.  Only his nose was huge so he'd cut a hole for his nose to stick out.  I could never raise the puck against for fear of hitting him in the schnoz.  

• Like 1

On 1/19/2017 at 4:03 PM, Neal said:

I haven't seen him in a long time, but there was a goalie at some of the pickups I skate at who wore the old Mike Liut style mask.  Only his nose was huge so he'd cut a hole for his nose to stick out.  I could never raise the puck against for fear of hitting him in the schnoz.  

Ah!  You played against this guy:

d68cb159e387424d58eae9e51910e0d2.jpg

• Like 1