Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

auswegian

Stick Help - New to Ice Hockey

Hey guys,

New to ice hockey (32yr.o, used to play a lot of street as a kid), and I got an opportunity to buy a few sticks at a great price (~$100). I'm 5'11, 180lbs, somewhat strong I suppose (DL: 400#, SQUAT: 315#, BENCH: 250#). I'm playing winger, and I enjoy crashing the net, and puck handling with some wrist shots and snapshots; don't really see myself taking a lot of slappers.

I want to get 2-3 sticks to kind of feel my way out. I live in Australia, so I don't have the luxury of just trying out different sticks in the store. Currently I'm leaning towards: (1) Bauer 1X 87 Flex, p92, left handed, grip and (1) Bauer 1X 87 Flex, p88, left handed, grip, to have some options with the curve (both will be uncut). However, I'm not really sure if the flex is right for me. I've read about the weight/2 rule, and my shot is pretty terrible. I was gifted a stick in the model right before the Nexus 1N came out in a 77 flex, and that broke the first day on ice, and I can't recall how that even happened, but it makes me worried about breaking lower flex rated sticks.

My options are:

1X (77 or 87 flex) - p92/p02/p91a/p88/pm9
1N (77 or 87 flex) - p92/p02/p91a/p88/pm9
MX3 (77 or 87 flex) - p92/p02/p91a/p88/pm9
APX2 (77 or 87 flex) - p92/p02/p91a/p88/pm9
TotalOneNXG (77 or 87 flex) - p92/p02/p91a/p88/pm9

Ultra Tacks (75 or 85 flex) p19/p17p40/p15
RBZ-2 (75 or 85 flex) p19/p17p40/p15

What would you do in my position? Open to any stick combo suggestions.

If you don't have a lot of experience, take more wrist- and snapshots than slappers and aren't too confident with your shot technique - go 77 flex. It'll be easier to learn to load up on the stick. You can always go up on the flex later.

Bauer P92 is the most "standard" curve, go with that if you decide to buy Bauer and don't have any preferences.

I'd agree with going with a lower flex in order to help with technique. And I wouldn't worry about breaking your stick as long as your technique is relatively sound. I'm 180lbs., but I'm short, so I use a 50 flex junior stick. I even on occasion use 40 and 45 flex and sticks. I take slappers all the time, and they're not flutter balls either. I haven't broken a stick in years of league play.

Aside from wear and tear and factory defect, IMHO how people break their sticks is they actually hit the puck directly when they take a shot instead of loading up the stick by hitting the ice behind it. 

Any ways, I'd like to second the P92 pattern. From my understanding, many consider it the best all around blade pattern. It's sort of the jack of all trades. It's the pattern I use. I'd also suggest you look at the low-kick point sticks. They're geared towards the quick release wristers and snapshots. 

Aside from that, I'm a big fan of Warrior sticks, so if you're willing to expand your list. I'd suggest looking at their QR series. 

3 hours ago, puckpilot said:

I'd agree with going with a lower flex in order to help with technique. And I wouldn't worry about breaking your stick as long as your technique is relatively sound. I'm 180lbs., but I'm short, so I use a 50 flex junior stick. I even on occasion use 40 and 45 flex and sticks. I take slappers all the time, and they're not flutter balls either. I haven't broken a stick in years of league play.

Aside from wear and tear and factory defect, IMHO how people break their sticks is they actually hit the puck directly when they take a shot instead of loading up the stick by hitting the ice behind it. 

Any ways, I'd like to second the P92 pattern. From my understanding, many consider it the best all around blade pattern. It's sort of the jack of all trades. It's the pattern I use. I'd also suggest you look at the low-kick point sticks. They're geared towards the quick release wristers and snapshots. 

Aside from that, I'm a big fan of Warrior sticks, so if you're willing to expand your list. I'd suggest looking at their QR series. 

I would also say to go with a lower flex, 75 - 77 should be ok. I'm not one for the P92 style pattern, maybe look at the P88 or P40 if you're mostly taking wrist shots. Stay away from the P91A, P15 and P02. 

On what stick you should buy, the RBZ is great at shooting, but lacks everywhere else. The Ultra Tacks is supposed to be pretty good, and I liked my old NXG. However, the 1N might be your best bet in 77 flex.

Thanks guy!

I decided on the 1X in a p92 curve in both a 77 and 87 flex to see what works better for me. It was a hard toss up between the p92 and p88, but I figured if I could learn to control the p92, it would probably be ideal for my play style (it was between a 1X in a p92 or a 1N in a p88).

Let you know how I go in a few weeks!