Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyJ0506

CCM Fitlite 3DS

CCM Fitlite 3DS Helmet

(Navy Blue, Size Large, Paired with an Oakley Visor)

Background: I have worn the original Reebok 8K helmet and Bauer 4500 helmet, but for the past five years-ish I have worn, exclusively, the CCM v08. The v08 fits my head perfectly, and I had/have them in a myriad of different colors. However, the foams, in a few of them, have started to turn yellow and hard. My navy blue v08 was the first to get to the point of being unusable (I used it the most of the bunch) and I replaced it with the Fitlite 3DS.

I play 3-4 games/pickups per week, and I have a small history of concussions and long history of migraine headaches. So, it was important, in replacing my beloved v08s, that I be completely comfortable and feel very-well protected.

Fit: This was, perhaps, where I was most worried about going to a new helmet. Because of my past history of concussions and migraines, I am very picky about what is on my head. From past experience, something as minor as a baseball hat fitting slightly too tight will result in a crippling headache. That being said, I am very happy with how this helmet fits. Between the no-tool size adjustment and the Micro Dial III occipital lock I am really able to dial-in the fit of this helmet. I also have a good deal of hair, and as the game goes on, and the hair gets soaked down, I am able to easily adjust the fit to keep the helmet snug, but not uncomfortably tight. The gel pads on the interior of the helmet are very comfortable, and as of writing, my hair is not getting caught in any glue, etc. (Which was something I hated about the Reebok 8K). 10/10

Protection: I believe in the concept that a perfectly-fitting helmet is the most protective helmet. With how well this helmet fits, I feel well protected in it. Fortunately, I have not been put in a situation where the overall protectiveness of this helmet has been put to the test. Minor jostling for position and work along the boards has left me no worse for wear. 10/10

Weight: Again, back to the way the helmet fits… because it fits so well, the helmet’s weight is distributed really well over my head. I do not notice that the helmet is there, I am not fiddling with it during the game. It does not get in the way. So, I do not notice any weight. It feels lighter than my v08s did/do. This helmet also breathes really well, I do notice that the sweat does not drip off of me the way it does when wearing a v08. This is a pleasant change, as I do not find myself having to towel off my face/hair/visor anywhere near as much. 10/10

Durability: The no-tool adjustment is really nice, but there are some pretty ugly scuff marks on the shell of the helmet from sliding the two parts of the helmet in and out. It is something small that really does not affect anything, but for a $260 helmet that has not taken any real damage or abuse, I wish this was not an issue. 7/10

Intangibles: The helmet feels really well put together. Nothing seems like it is on the verge of breaking (My 8K’s occipital lock seemed like it was held together with bubble gum and butterfly wings.) The helmet also passes the “mirror test” in my opinion, it looks good. 10/10

Conclusion: I am thoroughly impressed with this helmet. I was upset when I found out that the v08s were being discontinued because of how great they fit, the great protection they offered, and the very reasonable price they could be had for. I was worried, especially after I tried on the Resistance line and a few other non-CCM helmets, that I was going to have a very hard time finding something to replace them when they needed it. I am happy to say that I found their replacement. I also will have another one on the way (black/black) to replace my black v08 that has had the foams go yellow/hard. The price is a little steep, but to me, it is a price well worth it for a helmet that fits so well, and (in theory) will protect my head/brain. I would definitely recommend this helmet to anyone that is in the market for a new lid, and happens to have the head-shape that this helmet works for.

Final Score: 47 out of 50

Edited by JoeyJ0506