Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sbisson91

Bauer Skates Durability

In an effort to keep this shorter than longer, I'll get right to the point:

In the last two years I've gone through 2 pairs of Bauer skates that have both been victim of the same issue.

1) Eyelets pop out

2) The liner near the ankle starts to tear away and plastic on the inside begins to cut into my ankle.

Both pairs of skates have been one.7s (they were both brand new at the time), and I realize that they are on the lower end of Bauer's retail scale.

I love the fit of the Supreme line and am pretty positive that I'm going to stick with them, just spend more money to get the higher quality S190 and hope that this is just an issue of me buying inferior products.

However, I was wondering if anyone had experienced similar issues with their higher end Bauer skates. Keep in mind that I'm only on the ice 2 times max a week, and I'm 6'0, 170lbs, so I'm not extremely hard on my skates.

Anyone offer any advice or similar stories?

I had the same liner tear near the ankle where the plastic would dig into my foot on a pair of Reebok's a few years back,  That was solely because the skates didn't fit well, and I had too much room in the heal, and it moved around a lot.

With the eyelets, stupid question- but you pull the laces out, instead of tugging them up, correct?

Not specific to your skate but I find how you tie the skates can affect how they wear. For example I stopped tying the top two eyelets on my Reebok 11ks and I found they began breaking eyelets down the rest of the skate.

I've had to replace about half of them because of added strain.

Also the liner at the top of the boot began wearing because I was flexing forward more and causing it to rub against my shin guards, and causing wear on them too.

If you opted to get into 1S boots, you'd kill both problems. You wouldn't have eyelets to pop out and the comfort edge/tough plastic of the injected lacing system would prevent the other issue. Might want to think about that option.

3 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

If you opted to get into 1S boots, you'd kill both problems. You wouldn't have eyelets to pop out and the comfort edge/tough plastic of the injected lacing system would prevent the other issue. Might want to think about that option.

We have had a lot of issues in-store with customers coming back in having had the injected lacing system rip out by the stitching.  The injected eyelet system can't take as much abusive and torsion as a standard eyelet system.

19 hours ago, syinx said:

We have had a lot of issues in-store with customers coming back in having had the injected lacing system rip out by the stitching.  The injected eyelet system can't take as much abusive and torsion as a standard eyelet system.

I've also seen a few pairs where the injected lacing bar had cracked after absorbing a hard shot. 

12 hours ago, syinx said:

Knock on wood, I've had my MX3 since December of last year with zero lacing system issues. Not sure if I'm lucky or if other people are doing some crazy stuff to their boots/getting unlucky. If these skates broke today, I'd walk into a store tomorrow to replace them with the same thing.

I figured I'd update this. I didn't respond because I was on my phone reading it, but I wound up getting a pair of 1S's.

17 hours ago, OzziesDad said:

I had the same liner tear near the ankle where the plastic would dig into my foot on a pair of Reebok's a few years back,  That was solely because the skates didn't fit well, and I had too much room in the heal, and it moved around a lot.

With the eyelets, stupid question- but you pull the laces out, instead of tugging them up, correct?

Not a stupid question at all, OzziesDad. I skate with a number of guys that tug them up. But yeah, I make sure to pull out on them to avoid wear and tear on the actual eyelets.

19 minutes ago, sbisson91 said:

I figured I'd update this. I didn't respond because I was on my phone reading it, but I wound up getting a pair of 1S's.

Not a stupid question at all, OzziesDad. I skate with a number of guys that tug them up. But yeah, I make sure to pull out on them to avoid wear and tear on the actual eyelets.

Good choice in skates. Good luck with them.

On November 15, 2016 at 7:14 PM, syinx said:

Is this something you are seeing across all of the top end lines or has it been limited to just Vapor, Supreme, etc? I ask because I came across a deal that is hard to pass up on a new pair of 1N skates. I'm currently in a EE 190 with the the traditional eyelet but have been a little concerned with going to the top end skate because of this lacing system. The store did say that the 1N has a little softer polymer lacing system than the 1X. Any insight is appreciated.

On 11/15/2016 at 11:17 PM, Anjin-san said:

I've also seen a few pairs where the injected lacing bar had cracked after absorbing a hard shot. 

This happened to my 1Xs. Took a shot and the injected eyelet blew up. Bauer said it happened on earlier runs and they corrected the plastic composition. 

Skaters who wear shin pads inside the tongue tend to have liner tearing issues, regardless of model/brand skate.

On 3/8/2017 at 2:12 PM, JGraz15 said:

This happened to my 1Xs. Took a shot and the injected eyelet blew up. Bauer said it happened on earlier runs and they corrected the plastic composition. 

And they further ID'd the issue and corrected it for the 2017 1X.

On 3/8/2017 at 1:02 PM, tpedersen3118 said:

Is this something you are seeing across all of the top end lines or has it been limited to just Vapor, Supreme, etc? I ask because I came across a deal that is hard to pass up on a new pair of 1N skates. I'm currently in a EE 190 with the the traditional eyelet but have been a little concerned with going to the top end skate because of this lacing system. The store did say that the 1N has a little softer polymer lacing system than the 1X. Any insight is appreciated.

It's usually an issue on the 1X.  Much less on Supreme and Nexus.