Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qmechanic

fun hockey stuff to do in Toronto area

Hey guys,

I'm going up to Toronto in late December to see a World Juniors game.  I was wondering what are other fun hockey-related things I can do?  Also on my list: Hockey Hall of Fame, OHL games (e.g. Mississauga Steelheads), Centennial Classic alumni game, shinny at an outdoor park, skating in Nathan Phillips Square.  I was hoping to catch a CWHL game, but there don't seem to be any scheduled around the time I'll be there.

I live in Massachusetts, so I don't get up to Canada very often.  I'm interested in all levels of hockey (maybe not mites, but almost anything else!) and skating.  I would appreciate any suggestions you have.

You can easily spend a day in the HHOF. Your list looks pretty good. I'd also suggest watching the new Leafs kids flying around on the ice, but I'm biased in that regard of course. Maybe AHL Marlies if the Leafs don't interest you?

Maybe try to skate at maple leaf gardens? I've been meaning to do that. 

If you want to watch some high level minor hockey then there are two AAA GTHL tournaments in late December:

Toronto Marlboros International Holiday Classic from Dec 27-30 - Minor Bantam, Bantam, and Minor Midget AAA. There will be games out Canlan Etobicoke, Canlan York and Westwood Arenas. http://torontomarlboros.com/holiday-classic-tournament/

GTHL Challenge Cup - Peewee AAA tournament at Scotiabank Pond (57 Carl Hall Rd - near Downsview Park) from Dec 27-30 www.gthlcanada.com/GTHL-challenge-cup

7 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

You can easily spend a day in the HHOF. Your list looks pretty good. I'd also suggest watching the new Leafs kids flying around on the ice, but I'm biased in that regard of course. Maybe AHL Marlies if the Leafs don't interest you?

Maybe try to skate at maple leaf gardens? I've been meaning to do that. 

I have nothing against the Maple Leafs... just worried about my bank account!  I did look into AHL Marlies games, but they seem to be on a road trip while I plan to be in Toronto.

7 hours ago, althoma1 said:

If you want to watch some high level minor hockey then there are two AAA GTHL tournaments in late December:

Toronto Marlboros International Holiday Classic from Dec 27-30 - Minor Bantam, Bantam, and Minor Midget AAA. There will be games out Canlan Etobicoke, Canlan York and Westwood Arenas. http://torontomarlboros.com/holiday-classic-tournament/

GTHL Challenge Cup - Peewee AAA tournament at Scotiabank Pond (57 Carl Hall Rd - near Downsview Park) from Dec 27-30 www.gthlcanada.com/GTHL-challenge-cup

This sounds great, thank you!!

not trying to piggy back off the topic but ill be in Toronto next week... curious if there  are  any good hockey stores worth going to?

There are several threads discussing the topic of GTA Shops over the years.

Some good independent shops include:

Just Hockey SFS

Majer Hockey

Duke's SFS

Hockey Lion

Toronto Hockey Repair

Chain stores include:

Pro Hockey Life in Vaughan (biggest Hockey Megastore in the GTA)

National Sports - the one in Pickering is the largest and also has a big clearance section

Sport Chek - the 3 locations with the most high end gear are Leaside, Yorkdale and Square One

I went to both Duke's Source for Sports and Toronto Hockey Repair.  Not that exciting.  My favorite Canadian hockey store chain is still Pro Hockey Life.  I went to the one in Ottawa on a previous trip and it was by far the best hockey store I've been to: not just big, but also well-stocked and well-organized.