Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chippa13

Supplemental Discipline 2016-2017

Suspensions are way down this season. Are players learning or are standards slipping? Did Price get star treatment with nothing extra for the blocker shots on Palmieri?

I'm just not seeing all that much dirty play this season. A couple legal hits with unfortunate outcomes but otherwise it's all been pretty clean. 

I don't see what price did as being a suspension. Definitely warranted a far stiffer penalty than what he got tho. Toss him from the game. But that's would have been sufficient.

19 hours ago, chippa13 said:

Suspensions are way down this season. Are players learning or are standards slipping? Did Price get star treatment with nothing extra for the blocker shots on Palmieri?

Per Rule 51.3: Roughing: “If, in the judgement of the referee, a goalkeeper uses his blocking glove to punch an opponent in the head or face in an attempt to or to deliberately injure an opponent, a match penalty must be assessed.”

Basically, Price got away with a match penalty.

Should have been tossed for the game. He is a role model to thousands of kids. This childish outburst was pointless. Encroaching of the crease makes it for a more exciting show for the fans. On the other hand, if goalies feel this is inappropriate or dangerous,  they should demand strict assessment of  penalty for goalie run overs, from the league through players unions. Throwing it down on the ice being a goalie, just get you ejected or at least give your opponent a few minutes of power play. This is not standing up for yourself, this is just bad judgment IMO. I wonder if league will put this under further review.

10 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

I almost think the worst part of that is the lack of response from the Rangers players.

Agreed. Reminded me of the Bruins "response"  to the hit on Savard a few years back. 

3 hours ago, Monty22 said:

Agreed. Reminded me of the Bruins "response"  to the hit on Savard a few years back. 

Though to be fair, that was a legal hit at the time. Not that that makes it, or the response, okay by any means. 

47 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Though to be fair, that was a legal hit at the time. Not that that makes it, or the response, okay by any means. 

I don't get your point.  The normal response to seeing a teamate hit like that is the opposite of what happened in both cases. The eventual finding of legality is completely irrelevent. 

11 hours ago, Monty22 said:

I don't get your point.  The normal response to seeing a teamate hit like that is the opposite of what happened in both cases. The eventual finding of legality is completely irrelevent. 

Maybe it's just shock that sets in. They're so stunned they just saw it happen that they're not sure how to react.

9 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

4 games. Was hoping for more but I guess I'll take it.

4 does seem light for the crime. This is exactly the kind of hit that's entirely avoidable and the league is attempting to root out.

Henrik Lundqvist is one of the top goalies in the league and one of the big reasons Rangers are at the top of their division. Him out of the game equals better chances for Stars to win a game with little to no difference if Eakin was ejected. Fortunately, Henrik was able to come back.

Was this hit a part of some kind of scheme? Maybe, maybe not... but it could be. This kind of behavior against stars by not-so-much should be looked at with possibility of being predatory. I feel that league should penalize team for this kind of behavior not a player. instead of suspending the player, they should take a point off teams standing and let the team bench the player if they feel it is necessary. IMO this kind of penalty seems appropriate at least for checks on goalies and officials.

As for team response, it is pretty irrelevant. Team starting a brawl, does nothing, but entertainment to some fans that are into this. Hockey players are pretty tough crowd for a punch in a face to be a deterrent of any kind.

NHL needs to send a message but I doubt they will based on the Duncan Keith suspension.

I'd also like to see Galchenyuk get a suspension too, he pulled something similar against the B's last night, a little more subtle but still managed to get a guy in the face while pretending like he was losing his balance.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:29 AM, the_game said:

NHL needs to send a message but I doubt they will based on the Duncan Keith suspension.

I'd also like to see Galchenyuk get a suspension too, he pulled something similar against the B's last night, a little more subtle but still managed to get a guy in the face while pretending like he was losing his balance.

Watched that replay a few times, definitely not an accident.

1 hour ago, icewalker_bg said:

What changes if a player like Nyquist refuses a in person hearing, and forces the league to do a phone hearing?

I've never heard of that happening. I assume the league just treats it as though he waived his right to an in person hearing, which of course happens all the time. 

Players have waived the in-person hearing before. It doesn't change the fact that he can be suspended past 5 games. Once the league makes the offer then the bar is set. 

15 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I've never heard of that happening. I assume the league just treats it as though he waived his right to an in person hearing, which of course happens all the time. 

I was not sure how it works, i thought that a in person hearing was forced upon and not a right. 

17 minutes ago, icewalker_bg said:

I was not sure how it works, i thought that a in person hearing was forced upon and not a right. 

He's essentially admitting guilt in this case. No need for an in person hearing, he will likely just accept what is given to him. As for the actual action, I feel like he meant to go accross the body and like his shot aim for much of the last two seasons, missed. Not sure how he pulled that off, maybe off balance. That said, he still hit a guy in the face with a stick. Based on a lack of history and serious injury I think he will get 6 games, but probably deserves more.