Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bthompson1286

No Icing Remount Quality

Has anyone gone to No icing in hudson NH for remounting holders and steel?  Looking for a place that does a good job.  How's zwickers or Sports ETC?  I  want to mount longer holders on my skates.  currently have 272s and want to change to 280s

3 hours ago, raganblink said:

Did you really just turn down $150 worth of business? :blink:

Well at least he was honest, I'd rather him tell me he's too busy than taking my skates and having them for a couple weeks.  Besides, how much does it cost to get holders installed in your area?  No Icing's website says $34.99 a skate and an extra charge since the OP wants a longer holder.  Can't imagine it would be anywhere near $150 though.

Cost of holder and steel? 

I charge $40 for a holder, but that comes with installation. $40 X 2 = $80

I charge $70 for LS2/RSB, but that comes with it sharpened/profiled for the first time.

$70 + $80 = $150

I can't imagine places are too much more expensive or less expensive then that. Maybe + or - $20?

And yes, I would appreciate his honesty as well if I was the customer, but, for less than an hours worth of it work I would always accept a conversion or putting new holders on a skate where I have to remount from scratch. Hell I'd do the work Friday half hour before close or Christmas Eve - its not that hard and relatively fast to complete, plus you have someone looking at the rest of your store looking at anything and everything wanting to burn a hole in their pocket. Each their own though, its his store so he can take on what he pleases. I guess I just have a different view on things like that. 

21 hours ago, raganblink said:

Did you really just turn down $150 worth of business? :blink:

Yes, I'm booked with work till next year.

4 hours ago, raganblink said:

Cost of holder and steel? 

I charge $40 for a holder, but that comes with installation. $40 X 2 = $80

I charge $70 for LS2/RSB, but that comes with it sharpened/profiled for the first time.

$70 + $80 = $150

I can't imagine places are too much more expensive or less expensive then that. Maybe + or - $20?

And yes, I would appreciate his honesty as well if I was the customer, but, for less than an hours worth of it work I would always accept a conversion or putting new holders on a skate where I have to remount from scratch. Hell I'd do the work Friday half hour before close or Christmas Eve - its not that hard and relatively fast to complete, plus you have someone looking at the rest of your store looking at anything and everything wanting to burn a hole in their pocket. Each their own though, its his store so he can take on what he pleases. I guess I just have a different view on things like that. 

I did forget about the cost of the steel since he is going to a different size runner, so I do agree with your $150.  I also agree with it being a fairly quick job, I don't have a rivet press so I can't do my own but I had a pair replaced within a couple of hours.  You also make a great point about foot traffic in the door which usually results in an additional sale.  When there was a Players Bench (who Total Hockey bought out) in Columbus Ohio, they replaced my holders in a couple of hours when no one else would touch them in my area.  It was by far the best customer service experience I've had which resulted in a loyal customer and I sung their praises to everyone I could.  It also resulted in making a pretty good friend with the guy that did my holders.  So I do agree that there are big benefits to not turning business away.  But like I said, I appreciate Jimmy's honesty and he must have felt it was best for him to refer another shop.

On 12/21/2016 at 6:31 AM, DarkStar50 said:

jimmy gets chirped for honesty. Really ? :facepalm:

WTF is that supposed to mean? Or are you just being an ass.

On 12/19/2016 at 7:38 PM, the_game said:

The better question is who around here plays roller and where? 

Every rink I can think of closed.

I have people from all over the US mail me holder conversions.  While other shops may have time to do these, I usually don't. I often refer people to Zwickers, they do good work.

30 minutes ago, jimmy said:

WTF is that supposed to mean? Or are you just being an ass.

If I have to explain it to you, I'm pretty sure who the ass is.

21 minutes ago, stevelknievel said:

I believe he's referring to the fact that you're getting shit for being honest.

Thanks, I didn't think it was that difficult to figure out.  I thought hockey guys understood the meaning of chirped. Oh well......

On 12/22/2016 at 2:36 PM, DarkStar50 said:

If I have to explain it to you, I'm pretty sure who the ass is.

Thanks, I didn't think it was that difficult to figure out.  I thought hockey guys understood the meaning of chirped. Oh well......

I missed his intent if that was the case.

19 hours ago, jimmy said:

I missed his intent if that was the case.

No worries. I had to turn away an inline conversion yesterday because the small holder was way too big for the sole of the boot. The manufacturer convinced the mom it would fit and I knew it wouldn't. Rather than try the impossible and wreck the boot, I told the mom if the manufacturer says it can be done, let them do it. I've known the mom a long time so it was ok to explain it to her like that.

Back to the Wheel of Fortune, back to the grind.

Yeah Jimmy is right DS, that definitely wasn't a chirp... Pretty shitty chirp if that was supposed to be one.

Simply surprised someone turned away the sale and potential other sales. Good for him for being busy til new years and suggesting someone else to go to, I'd rather have that then be told by someone it will take less than a couple days and whatever service I requested still isn't done 2 weeks later..