Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tcraig

LS2 vs. LS2.1 steel - length?

Tried searching to no avail, but feel free to point me in the right direction if I'm missing it. 

I've got my old pair of One95's laying around still as backup skates, which turned out to be good because my Mako M8's are out of commission with a broken holder until a replacement arrives.  Got my One95's sharpened, and saw that the steel is getting really low. I'd like to pick up another set of steel so that they're good to go when needed, but I remember the LS2.1 steel was slightly different than standard LS2 steel. I believe it was a touch longer? I know that my holders are marked 280, so would I be get the same feel from standard LS2 280mm steel, or would I need to use a different size in LS2 steel in order to have it be the same as the current 2.1 runners? 

Thanks!

I tried researching this on here recently. I found mixed info about the radius of the two: LS2 steel being 9' and LS2.1 (Power?) being 11'. If you're used to the one versus the other, the difference in radius will make more of a difference in feel than a little extra length on the 2.1 versus the 2. I wasn't able to find clear info on it though.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

LS2.1 is just longer steel. Info I found says they came stock with a 9 foot radius. 

Steel is sized to the holder so to mimic that 2.1 feel you'd need to change to larger radius or purchase another set of LS2.1 steel.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62118-radius-of-stock-ls21-steel/

Ah ok, thanks for the link. I'd been considering getting some step steel for the replacement, but haven't been able to find it in the 2.1. 

1 hour ago, boo10 said:

You want  STEP XL, as it is the same length as the LS 2.1 steel.

Thanks, I'll look out for that! My local Total Hockey said they have one pair of LS2.1 in stock for like $30, so I'll grab that for now and keep an eye out for the Step XL.

On 12/31/2016 at 5:32 PM, stick9 said:

LS2.1 is just longer steel. Info I found says they came stock with a 9 foot radius. 

Steel is sized to the holder so to mimic that 2.1 feel you'd need to change to larger radius or purchase another set of LS2.1 steel.

http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/62118-radius-of-stock-ls21-steel/

Thanks for the help there. I think I was confused by this one: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31620-ls2-power-radius-quesiton/

When did Bauer start doing 10' stock radius, on LS3 steel?

2 hours ago, flip12 said:

Thanks for the help there. I think I was confused by this one: http://modsquadhockey.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31620-ls2-power-radius-quesiton/

When did Bauer start doing 10' stock radius, on LS3 steel?

Since it's been out.

1 hour ago, stick9 said:

Yeah that does seem a bit confusing, especially considering the source.

It wasn't the same steel.

LS2 Power was different from LS2.1.

Thanks JR. Question - I can't seem to track down any Step XL or old LS2.1 steel near me.  If I went normal Step for LS2 (or just standard LS2 steel for that matter), would I want to have them do a bit longer radius to make up for the slightly shorter steel? 

6 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Since it's been out.

It wasn't the same steel.

LS2 Power was different from LS2.1.

That's where I went wrong. Thanks guys, sorry to contribute to the confusion but thanks for clearing it up quickly.

58 minutes ago, tcraig said:

Thanks JR. Question - I can't seem to track down any Step XL or old LS2.1 steel near me.  If I went normal Step for LS2 (or just standard LS2 steel for that matter), would I want to have them do a bit longer radius to make up for the slightly shorter steel? 

The XL wasn't a direct copy - it seemed to be longer than 2.1. 

Not necessarily - the length was in the heel and toe radii. Any authorized Step dealer should be able to order the XL for you. 

LS power and 2.1 steel was a gimmick by bauer. None of the extra length even touches the ice while skating. The difference as said above it the stock radius was longer than LS2.

9 hours ago, jimmy said:

LS power and 2.1 steel was a gimmick by bauer. None of the extra length even touches the ice while skating. The difference as said above it the stock radius was longer than LS2.

I'm not sure I understand your last sentence here. Is this "it" supposed to be an "is"?

10 hours ago, jimmy said:

Yes, typo on my part. The difference is the stock radius's

That's huge! I keep reading they were both 9', but once in a while I find somewhere on here the 2.1 steel had a longer radius. What was the stock radius on the 2.1 steel?

3 hours ago, flip12 said:

That's huge! I keep reading they were both 9', but once in a while I find somewhere on here the 2.1 steel had a longer radius. What was the stock radius on the 2.1 steel?

11'

17 minutes ago, Kgbeast said:

11'

I had a feeling that was it. I just couldn't get my toe starts going after swapping out the LS2 steel for LS2.1. I just kept reading 9' and I had such a different feel from the two sets especially when compared Nike Ignite 3's on Custom+.

Hope this won't be too disappointing, both downloaded 2012 and 2013 Bauer catalogues on this site indicate 9' radius for LS 2.1:

TUUK Lightspeed 2.1  Power Stainless Steel Runner Senior [1034648] Junior [1034649]
Packaged as 2 (1 pair)
Consistent blade heights (16.5mm)
9ft radius
Longer runner increases blade-ice contact time   to lengthen power stride
Engineered to fit seamlessly into the white TUUK Lightspeed   2 holder
Helps increase speed and energy in push off phase

2016 catalogue has LS 4 Edge and LS 3 Edge with10' radius.  For non-edge LS 2 holders, there exists a non-Edge LS 3 that has the higher steel profile, I assume with 10' radius (Sr only, no Jr :sad: ).

... unfortunately, I can not recall my source for 11' radius, but it always was my understanding. I have also read that 2.1 has 10' radius. I guess not enough info what is there is all over the place with most pointing to 9', but not many feel it to be so. So now, I am not sure either. Perhaps someone can shine some light on this, but then again the runners are phased out at this point and perhaps it does not really matters. The claim about that they lengthen power stride is a bit wrird... Does it mean that the guy with skate size 13 gets longer powerstride than the same height/leg lenght guy with size 7?