Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JimmyTheDriver

Skate Drama - Would love some banter/help

Been meddling in new skate territory for over a year now.  Would love some thoughts.

2011 - Bought Bauer RX60 for roller.  Slightly too small, toes rub, but dealt with it.  Only used a season or two, excellent condition still

2012 - Switched to ice and bought Bauer x7.0.  Same fit as the RX60, bit tight.  Mostly destroyed after 4 or more full years of ice

2016 - Bought Eason Mako 2.  Love the fit everywhere but arch.  Can't get past the cramps and have to sell them, 8.5D.  Worked with Easton support up until the day they all went away.  Never even used in a game.  Tore ACL soon after purchase and am just getting back into them.

Anyway - so here I am today.  Arches cant stand the Mako 2.  I have tried every insole possible... just time to give up.  Given my initial Mako 2 (full price) investment barely a year ago, I can't go get another top model skate at the moment.  x7.0s are pretty beat up from years of use and may need to just be retired.  How would I be looking buying a new set of holders and mounting them to the RX60s?  If good, what is recommended? Other than color, I don't see much difference over the x7.0s.  Fit is ok at best but tolerable... possible to stretch, length wise, a skate like this?  A few MMs would probably clear my rub.  

Guess thats all.  Just tired of arch pain so Makos have to go. 

Thanks!

Jim

What kind of insoles did you try? One of the tricks I try is using the insole from an old pair of runners that's very flat and has no arch support? If that works, it's an indication that the other insoles are padding out the arch area too much for your foot. Just something to try. 

3 minutes ago, puckpilot said:

What kind of insoles did you try? One of the tricks I try is using the insole from an old pair of runners that's very flat and has no arch support? If that works, it's an indication that the other insoles are padding out the arch area too much for your foot. Just something to try. 

Started with the ones from my Bauer skates.  Tried the CCM aftermarket ones.  Latest is Superfeet Yellows.  I then took the Superfeet and actually cut out ALL of the arch support, first plastic then later the foam hoping maybe the heel lift would raise me up enough.  Still burns my arches.  Every time I push I feel the arch far too much.

4 minutes ago, chippa13 said:

Have you tried not tying so tight?

Unfortunately, yeah.  I went to a puck shoot today and didnt even pull the middle laces.  Its not the sensation of top of the foot pain/bite.  Its the underside, like that carbon fiber arch support is just too high.  Every step hurts.  When I worked with Easton, they talked to some of the skate engineers who reaffirmed my fear, the area that hurts is part of the hard CF monocoque.

Thoughts on the older skates with a new holder?  Any reason the RX60s can't take a decent holder and be great again?

1 hour ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Unfortunately, yeah.  I went to a puck shoot today and didnt even pull the middle laces.  Its not the sensation of top of the foot pain/bite.  Its the underside, like that carbon fiber arch support is just too high.  Every step hurts.  When I worked with Easton, they talked to some of the skate engineers who reaffirmed my fear, the area that hurts is part of the hard CF monocoque.

Thoughts on the older skates with a new holder?  Any reason the RX60s can't take a decent holder and be great again?

You could probably go with the Lightspeed 2 holder and LS2 steel and it should be similar to your X7.0. 

I did watch a YouTube video from Ice Warehouse reviewing your in-lines and they seem very similar to the ice versions. The reviewer did say sometime about the skate stiffness being geared to roller hockey style of play so I can't say how it will feel on the ice. Also, I'm guessing you have to have different holes drilled for ice holders.

still probably a cheaper experiment than buying new skates

Maybe sell the Rx60's and the Makos and use that money towards skates?  It's not too difficult to find top tier skates either slightly used or a cycle or two away from the current offerings for cheap. 

26 minutes ago, Monty22 said:

Maybe sell the Rx60's and the Makos and use that money towards skates?  It's not too difficult to find top tier skates either slightly used or a cycle or two away from the current offerings for cheap. 

That's not a bad idea. I'd imagine I can get atleast 300 for the Makos.  I could maybe piece together 500 total and hunt around.

Best place to buy and sell skates? eBay?

Yep, ebay, craigslist, the sell forum here will give you some good deals. You just have to take your time. $500 should buy you a really good 2nd hand skate, I've seen excellent condition latest top of the line models for this price.

also hated the Mako's, even w all the hype they got here 

skates are a battle my man, I fell your pain

4-5 pairs in 3 years, still not 100% settled, but best its been in a while - I went w the S190's 

40 minutes ago, enis750 said:

also hated the Mako's, even w all the hype they got here 

skates are a battle my man, I fell your pain

4-5 pairs in 3 years, still not 100% settled, but best its been in a while - I went w the S190's 

Yeah, just frustrated I guess.  My past year of purchases, all painstakingly thought out, has been failures.  Hell, I drove 4 hours to my hometown since they have two big box hockey shops where I could try on all skate models.  Bought the Mako 2 at near retail, just a week or two before Easton was bought and everyone clearanced the skate.

Easton was amazing trying to help me - they even sent me a free Stealth CX for the troubles, received the day they went under.  Unfortunately the skates still hurt and the stick is too flexible.  

I spend so much time and energy on selecting this gear... ugh.  Going to give the S190 a peak.  Prior to Makos, I was in Vapors and always thought the Supreme line would give me just the room I need.

2 hours ago, JimmyTheDriver said:

Yeah, just frustrated I guess.  My past year of purchases, all painstakingly thought out, has been failures.  Hell, I drove 4 hours to my hometown since they have two big box hockey shops where I could try on all skate models.  Bought the Mako 2 at near retail, just a week or two before Easton was bought and everyone clearanced the skate.

Easton was amazing trying to help me - they even sent me a free Stealth CX for the troubles, received the day they went under.  Unfortunately the skates still hurt and the stick is too flexible.  

I spend so much time and energy on selecting this gear... ugh.  Going to give the S190 a peak.  Prior to Makos, I was in Vapors and always thought the Supreme line would give me just the room I need.

I was in Vapors for YEARS man

tried the Mako 2 (again, the hype) then finally moved on to the S190's and they are pretty good

not perfect, but as good as Ill get w/out going to a full custom boot 

I went one down from the top, as I liked the eyelets better and the tongue - they are really nice

but skates and boot fit are SO personal

I also liked the Super Tacks, they were REALLY comfy, but I wasn't prepared to spend $1200 w the TUUK's on them

When you tried on the makos in store did you get cramps or was it just when you were on the ice? My feet and calves were so sore for my first few weeks of skating in them I thought about going back to my ccm u12. But after I got used to it and punched out a few pressure points I couldn't be happier. 

1 hour ago, kyleo29 said:

When you tried on the makos in store did you get cramps or was it just when you were on the ice? My feet and calves were so sore for my first few weeks of skating in them I thought about going back to my ccm u12. But after I got used to it and punched out a few pressure points I couldn't be happier. 

Its really just an un-natural amount of support for my arch.  Every time I push, my arch pushes down on that hump and it cramps within a few mins.  Its not like a rubbing hot spot, but just too much structure.  I never had the issue with other skates, such as my Vapors.  But it makes sense - while still a pretty narrow skate, the Vapors arch area is much different than my Makos.  It might be a mind game now,..  I don't know.  I think alot of skates achieve arch support via footbeds, whereas the Makos build it in, and it has zero flex. 

I am coming off a torn ACL so skating is hard enough.  Add back in the arch pain that was bugging me before the injury, and I am just not happy.  I listed it all for sale on Sideline and am just going to start fresh I guess. 

I've been mulling over the RX60s converted to ice, but it still just comes back to the same thing, an ill fitting skate.  Wish I just went straight to VH when I had the chance

A little FYI. I have really low arches, so some skates feel like I'm standing on pyramids. I found Supremes and Nexus lines were near perfect for me in terms of arches. And any slight issues were taken care of after baking.

I had similar issues as the OP with regards to Mako 2's. The arch built into the skate itself was painfully high for my feet. I tried a variety of foot beds as well as foot beds with the arch section completely cut out. Nothing made the pain bareable.

I even tried several pairs to eliminate the chance that my first pair was defective. In swapping them out I did find one pair that felt ok (flatter arch). However the carbon fiber monocoque cracked along the bottom prompting a warranty replacement, in which the arches were once again painfully high.

I'm currently in a pair of MX3's, which are a hair too shallow and slightly too stiff for my liking (causing mild lace bite). I'm also trying to break in a pair of Graf Ultra G5's. However I find that the area right around the ball of my heel appears to be a bit too tight and sometimes leads to mild numbness and discomfort in the heel.  

On 1/21/2017 at 0:15 AM, Anjin-san said:

I had similar issues as the OP with regards to Mako 2's. The arch built into the skate itself was painfully high for my feet. I tried a variety of foot beds as well as foot beds with the arch section completely cut out. Nothing made the pain bareable.

I even tried several pairs to eliminate the chance that my first pair was defective. In swapping them out I did find one pair that felt ok (flatter arch). However the carbon fiber monocoque cracked along the bottom prompting a warranty replacement, in which the arches were once again painfully high.

I'm currently in a pair of MX3's, which are a hair too shallow and slightly too stiff for my liking (causing mild lace bite). I'm also trying to break in a pair of Graf Ultra G5's. However I find that the area right around the ball of my heel appears to be a bit too tight and sometimes leads to mild numbness and discomfort in the heel.  

The constant struggle! You are spot on about the arch. Same feeling here. I had cut up two different pairs of superfeet yellows, the stock footbeds, and some of my Bauer ones. Every combo imagineable.

Tried on some Supremes this weekend and they felt amazing, just need to rally the funds for some s190s and be done with it

I had a similar issue with the CCM Ribcor skates I got recently. My previous skates were Bauer Nexus that were not a great fit but I got them on clearance and they lasted longer than I expected.  

I tried on every skate in the store in my size and the Ribcor fit the best. 
The store baked them, and I took them home. The following week I skated in them for the first time, and got the arch burn everyone talks about.
After reading on here and other hockey forums about trying different footbeds, I pulled the footbed out of the Bauers which were very thin and flat. 

I skated with those in the Ribcor's the following week and no more arch burn. 

20 minutes ago, bondoao1 said:

I had a similar issue with the CCM Ribcor skates I got recently. My previous skates were Bauer Nexus that were not a great fit but I got them on clearance and they lasted longer than I expected.  

I tried on every skate in the store in my size and the Ribcor fit the best. 
The store baked them, and I took them home. The following week I skated in them for the first time, and got the arch burn everyone talks about.
After reading on here and other hockey forums about trying different footbeds, I pulled the footbed out of the Bauers which were very thin and flat. 

I skated with those in the Ribcor's the following week and no more arch burn. 

Glad to hear it worked out. I've decided to throw in the towel.  Bought some slightly used Bauer Supreme s190s and have the Makos listed for sale.  Can't stand arch cramp

I had similar arch pain issues as you with just about every footbed on the planet.  Tried the superfeet black and absolutely love them.  I tried the same thing as you with the yellow (cut the plastic support out), tried the blue generic hockey ones, etc.  Superfeet black are perfect for my wide, somewhat flat/low arch feet.  Give them a try, its a cheap experiment in the long run.

11 hours ago, freeflyer14 said:

I had similar arch pain issues as you with just about every footbed on the planet.  Tried the superfeet black and absolutely love them.  I tried the same thing as you with the yellow (cut the plastic support out), tried the blue generic hockey ones, etc.  Superfeet black are perfect for my wide, somewhat flat/low arch feet.  Give them a try, its a cheap experiment in the long run.

How much volume do the Superfeet Black take up, more or less than the Yellow's?

On 1/20/2017 at 11:34 AM, enis750 said:

I was in Vapors for YEARS man

tried the Mako 2 (again, the hype) then finally moved on to the S190's and they are pretty good

not perfect, but as good as Ill get w/out going to a full custom boot 

Man... you change my hockey life!  First skate out today on the Supreme s190s I picked up.  What a great skate, best I've ever worn, especially for a first skate.  First time I've gone the entire puck shoot/pickup in years not wanting to get off the ice in foot pain.

Zero arch ache.  The Makos just weren't for me.

Thanks!

Jim