Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

proth0303

Conditioning?

I just started skating and playing hockey about 6-7 weeks ago and I have somewhere around 25 hours of ice time under my belt.  While the skates are getting more comfortable and my body seems to be getting used to everything, I still have some foot pain.  The pain is noticeable in both feet after about 10-15 minutes on the ice.  It's an overall foot pain and I would describe it as if my feet are swelling up inside the boot but the boot isn't giving way.  The kicker is that the pain starts to dissipate as I continue to skate and almost disappears after another 10-15 minutes or so of skating.  Does this make sense?  Is it just that my feet aren't conditioned for skating/hockey yet?  Or am I simply tying the laces too tight and eventually they loosen enough to become comfortable?  

FYI, I am using wax laces and tighten pretty tight in the foot area and barely "snug" in the ankle.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

My first step would certainly be to tie the skate looser in the foot area.

Mark

Thanks!  Me and the boss are going to a public skate tonight so I'm going to try looser in the foot area and see how it feels. 

On 1/25/2017 at 9:29 AM, proth0303 said:

Thanks!  Me and the boss are going to a public skate tonight so I'm going to try looser in the foot area and see how it feels. 

To reiterate, a lot of times most people are going to want most of the laces snug, but not tight. I only really tighten the last two eyelets for what it's worth.

It's been a few months and the pain has gone away.  Playing with the lace tightness helped quite a bit as I now do snug over the foot and tight in the ankle area.  I do attribute some of the improvement simply to my feet getting used to skating.