Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

titan1234

Calf wrap - acceptable gap?

I have old Vapor XXXX 13" shin pads which have an adjustable calf wing (using Velcro) that allow me to get a complete wrap over my fat calves.  IIRC, this adjustability was carried over to the X:60 and APX shin pads, but does anyone know of a current pad that offers this feature?

If there are none, what is an acceptable gap around the calf area for decent protection?  The best calf coverage I've found so far is on the Nexus 1N and N9000 shins, which give me about a finger's width gap between the left and right calf wings.  I've tried 14" shins, but they are too long for my short legs.

6 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

I really dont know but gotta say I never get any more than about half way over my calf.  I think you'll live regardless!

I guess I've been spoiled with my existing shins - as you indicated, what's a few bruises?  It's unfortunate that the whole notion of the adjustable calf wing seems to have fallen by the wayside, but I guess not enough folks bought into it.

2 hours ago, tpedersen3118 said:

Check this out. Pricey but interesting if you are looking for more calf protection 

Thanks for pointing out that video.  Probably more protection than I need or want to budget for, plus I think I'd prefer to handle one less piece of equipment.  I may need to broaden my search to include 14" shins that are shorter than normal, or go with one of the Nexus models.

I know a few people that just sewed an extension pad onto the existing calf wrap.  A couple others just slip a pad under the wrap.  Personally, I don't bother, as I grew up with pads that had no calf wrap at all. 

Turns out my Itech shins that I used for the first 10 or so years have no calf wrap either, so I went from that to the Vapor XXXX's full wrap.  So from that perspective, I guess 3/4 wrap in a new pair is better than my running average. LOL

I remember something in the mid 00s having really aggressive calf protection, and someone pointing out that if you fall awkwardly on your knees and have your weight going backwards (think kneeling with your butt on your heels), all that extra bulk between your calf and hamstring is a serious knee injury waiting to happen. 

While it's a long shot, that additional potential for injury is a bigger worry than a bruise of my calf from a stray puck or stick.