Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheProfessor

Flatter rocker for increased stability?

I've been unable to play for several years due to hip and groin issues. Still have chronic issues but I'd like to get back on the ice in some capacity. Currently skating with Vapors and a combo 12/7 radius.

I've skated a few times but the amount of effort needed to stabilize myself causes increased pain and fatigue on my adductors and hips. I'm wondering if going to a flatter rocker like 11 or even 12 will help.   

A flatter rocker would definitely help, you could even go for a combo rocker - my LHS does a 6 - 23 - 9 and this does feel different than a regular rocker.. I would start out with the flattest standard you can go, I think that would be a 13, as you can always shave off more front and back without taking off too much blade if you need to go less. But if you go from the standard 9/10 to an 11, then to a 13, you're going to be shaving off quite a bit each time, significantly reducing the life of your runner.

At the end of the day, the only thing you lose from having a flatter rocker is turning circle and a bit of agility and you'll gain glide, stability and stopping.. 

8 hours ago, TheProfessor said:

I've been unable to play for several years due to hip and groin issues. Still have chronic issues but I'd like to get back on the ice in some capacity. Currently skating with Vapors and a combo 12/7 radius.

I've skated a few times but the amount of effort needed to stabilize myself causes increased pain and fatigue on my adductors and hips. I'm wondering if going to a flatter rocker like 11 or even 12 will help.   

Question - have you had anyone look at your hip?  

JR, I believe its the same as the "100/50". That's what they called it when I ordered my Stepsteel runners. Random sharpening website quote:

Blackstone 100/50: This selection is good for skaters who are currently skating on hollows in the 1/2-9/16" range. Also called the FBV 9/16.  Our most popular cut.  If you're just starting out with Flat Bottom V, this is the cut to try!

How does the hollow play into the choice of profile?

dkmiller,

I had a hip scope about 5 years ago, which didn't help much. Been to many docs and had diagnoses that include mild hip osteoarthritis, FAI,  sports hernia, and nerve entrapment (scar tissue).

13 hours ago, TheProfessor said:

JR, I believe its the same as the "100/50". That's what they called it when I ordered my Stepsteel runners. Random sharpening website quote:

dkmiller,

I had a hip scope about 5 years ago, which didn't help much. Been to many docs and had diagnoses that include mild hip osteoarthritis, FAI,  sports hernia, and nerve entrapment (scar tissue).

If you can find yourself a good PT, most of those issues can be greatly managed and improved. I've been going through treatment for FAI and I'm pretty informed on the subject. If you want some resources, send me a PM. I'd be happy to help. 

On 2/11/2017 at 11:07 PM, TheProfessor said:

dkmiller,

Call it 100/50 from now on. It's the proper term. 

The reason why a hollow plays into it is because if the hollow is too deep, it will also exacerbate what you're feeling with the profile. 

2 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

Call it 100/50 from now on. It's the proper term. 

The reason why a hollow plays into it is because if the hollow is too deep, it will also exacerbate what you're feeling with the profile. 

Nice try. When FBV first came out we were one of the very first to offer FBV's.  It was new and Skater's barely understood hollows, never mind what a 100/50 meant.  To avoid the deer in headlight looks, we tried to make it easier for customers to understand FBVs/hollow comparisons. We have always had the Blackstone nomenclature clearly on our website and in our shopping area.  Customers know exactly what they are getting.