Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pez68

Replacing Graf Ultra G35S Skates

Just as the topic states. Is VH going to be my only viable option, or is there anything out there that fits like a G35S? The G35S fits me perfectly, with a slight punch out on the pinky toes. Are any of the newer, leftover Graf skates, a G35S equivalent?

Looking at hockeymonkey, they have G735 in many sizes. Supra G735 is expected to be pretty identical fit as G35S Ultra. Alternatively, the PeakSpeed line of skates is also closely following the G35/G735 fit profile with perhaps a minor width bump in balls width area... perhaps the reason you did the minor punch-out. Again, looking at hockeymonkey, it looks like they have PK7700 and PK4400 in few sizes. Note that G35 might feel stiffer than those, but probably not since you comparing old pair to new. You can also contact  mvaughn@vaughnhockey.com  and see if he can recommend a place to buy a pair of Graf skates, there could be few places.

Obviously, VH would be the best route. Even though they are more expensive, they are fitted to your feet and offer protection and stiffness that you might want. If not VH, I am not sure which mainstream skates would fit close to G35, perhaps Bauer Supreme, but note size difference. I think with Bauer, you would want go with .5 US size smaller. Obviously, pay attention to holders, Graf holders are different feel than Bauer or CCM. In case of VH, you can get them to put Graf holders for you which is another node to VH skates for you if you do not mind the cost.

I'd try to move on from Graf if you can at this point. The company is dead and their quality issues are well known. Better you figure out something else that will work you sooner than later.

I used to love Graf skates. Went from the 705 to the G35. After a series of failures with CCM exoskel and burning through 3 pairs of Mission Firefly skates in 3 years I tried out some Bauer offerings. Had a pair of APX that were fantastic. So much so that I bought the 1X this year to replace them. 

I'd try something else and see what feels good. These things can be heat molded so precisely now that for me, the days of having skates punched out are over. 

My issue is an extremely narrow heel. I find that no amount of heat molding will lock my heel in properly. The G35S does that perfectly.

I hear ya.  Super narrow heels here as well.  Started in Supremes, way too much heel movement.  Went to Vapors, much better, still not great, but they had other attributes I liked.  Moved to Graf 535s.  Great heel lock.  But was having other issues.  Tried the Makos.  Really liked the fit everywhere, but the heel.  It was an eye opener to just how important heel lock is.  Going back to my 535s tomorrow night at open skate.  I think my issue with the Grafs was more due to having pronation issues and less the fit of the boot.  So, I'm working to compensate for the pronation and give the Grafs another go. 

Sounds like you have the G35s before they got bastardized and pulled into the MCI series.  If so, the X35 stuff should do the trick.  HockeyMonkey has 735s on clearance, as kgbeast mentioned.  That would be where I would start. The fit should be VERY similar to your G35s.  I haven't found anything else retail/off-the-shelf that comes close to locking in my heel.  From the description of the new Tacks, there may be some promise there, but I'm not holding my breathe. After my experience with the Makos, VH is high on my list.  But I just can't justify that at the moment.  So, I am hoping fixing the pronation will get the Grafs perfect.

7 hours ago, Pez68 said:

My issue is an extremely narrow heel. I find that no amount of heat molding will lock my heel in properly. The G35S does that perfectly.

If that's your only issue, you could try Stable 26 socks or Bunga Pads.