Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ACE 22 QC

New Elite Sharpening Systems

I thought ide start a thread about the new Sharpening and Profiling process from Elite Sharpening Systems.

The Habs have been using this system since the beginning of the season. Many other teams are also starting to understand the benefits....

Both the Profiling machine and Sharpening machine have Unequaled precision and use a very unique process!!!!

Take a look at this segment (in french) showing the habs EQM manager using the machine:

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/02/13/une-question-de-millimetres

Here is the rough translation:

Hockey is often said to be a matter of centimeters. However, in some cases it is even a matter of millimeters.

Our journalist, Jean-Philippe Bertrand, presented us with a company from our home, whose equipment is in the locker room of the Canadiens.

(See video above)

The expertise of Aiguisage Élite (Elite Sharpening), based in Beloeil, is also the envy of several National Hockey League teams.

"Running in water to the knees is a lot more demanding than running in water up to the ankles," said founding president Denis Proulx.

"It's the same thing in hockey. A blade that is too sharp surcharges the ankles, knees and hips. "

That's why we developed a machine that sharpens the skates with surgical precision.

"The precision is such that it is like taking the size of a hair, then divide it by three and then by two," he added.

In the world of professional sport, a hair can make the difference between victory and defeat. That's why we make sure that the players of the Tricolore/Habs evolve in ideal conditions of performance.

"It takes three things to sharpen a blade perfectly. The self-centering, a wheel that does not deform and controlled continuous pressure of the wheel" he concluded with his concern for legendary detail.

And in addition to sharpening, this South Shore company offers the profiling service for a custom blade with unequaled precision. Just like the Pros!

5 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

This almost sounds like an ad.

You're right. Maybe I should get paid for the info:). Lol. I didnt see any info on Modsquad about the machines.. I thought ide start the thread

Edited by ACE 22 QC

Talk about expletives laden marketing speak.  Make Hockey Great Again, by the hair of my chinny chin chin. 

Can't get the video to work, but the opening frame makes it look alot like a non-portable version of a Sparx or ProSharp Home. 

On 15/02/2017 at 0:51 PM, krisdrum said:

Talk about expletives laden marketing speak.  Make Hockey Great Again, by the hair of my chinny chin chin. 

Can't get the video to work, but the opening frame makes it look alot like a non-portable version of a Sparx or ProSharp Home. 

Maybe the facebook link will work....

• Like 1

On 2/15/2017 at 8:06 PM, Zylos45 said:

I will stick with my "Le Sparx"

It's a professional grade machine, not meant for home sharpeners. So, please treat the OP with respect and quit being a shill, because it shows. 

• Like 7

17 hours ago, ACE 22 QC said:

Maybe the facebook link will work....

Thanks.  Video worked.  I don't speak or understand french, so just going on the visual.  I'm new to the sport, so maybe don't understand the nuances, but not seeing alot of difference from the mechanics of the machines I mentioned.  The skate sits in a holder, a grinding wheel on an arm comes up to meet the blade and sharpen it.  Here the holder moves, in the other machines the wheel and arm move.  I get this isn't intended for home use, but what makes it more accurate than machines that use similar mechanisms?  Is there less deflection in the system, so less variability?  And I guess as a bigger question, at what point in accuracy can the user no longer feel/notice the difference?   Didn't intend any disrespect, but just struck me as funny how "flowery" the translation was of the benefits of this machine.  

5 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Didn't intend any disrespect, but just struck me as funny how "flowery" the translation was of the benefits of this machine.  

Marketing 101...every manufacturer exploits this to their end.  The machine itself looks interesting being able to sharpen both skates at once.

More accurate than a prosharp how? For sharpening? Or profiling?

I'm a big proponent of the Prosharp profiling, but the zchannel has been hit or miss. Curious about what this sharpening is improving on.

11 hours ago, krisdrum said:

Thanks.  Video worked.  I don't speak or understand french, so just going on the visual.  I'm new to the sport, so maybe don't understand the nuances, but not seeing alot of difference from the mechanics of the machines

I haven't had my skates sharpened by this machine yet, just heard about it. 

From what I understand the biggest thing is that the grinding wheels in the machine are steel not stone and that provides a smother finish and a more coefficient sharpen. 

Also both skates are sharpened at the same time which is supposed to help consistency as well. I believe this machine also has a new/ different method of profiling but I don't know exactly how it differs. 

From what I've heard, the sharpen from this machine is really nice and a few NHL teams have already purchased these machines. If the NHL trainers are finding these provide an advantage I'm sure there is something to them. 

No NHL teams are using Le Sparx as far as I know......

Edited by malcb33
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, All Flash said:

Anybody know the mfg?

A new company out of Quebec. Not sure if they have finished branding etc from what I've heard 

Edited by malcb33
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2017 at 9:47 PM, malcb33 said:

No NHL teams are using Le Sparx as far as I know......

I was under the impression a few teams were using the Sparx in addition to some of their other machines. Could be wrong on that though.  

Well Sparkx and Prosharp have had some severe testing from many users over the time ... that has to been seen for that one. Often there is a difference between claiming and delivering ;-)

...and the first time I heard about this machine was in 2013.

3 hours ago, markush said:

Well Sparkx and Prosharp have had some severe testing from many users over the time ... that has to been seen for that one. Often there is a difference between claiming and delivering ;-)

• Like 2

I doubt NHL EQMs would let their players in season be the proving ground for a product like this. If it wasn't proven to work to the EQMs, they wouldn't let it inside their service room.

• Like 3

The company is currently working on two seperate machines.

First, the profiler, wich is a huge upgrade in precision compared to traditional profiling... It basically profiles both blades at the same time. If you don't profile both at the same time, you will NEVER get the same result on each blade. There is an auto-centering mechanism to make sure the blades are Always perfectly centered. And they offer many different combo-radius options.. no flat spots, no manual touch ups, no need for extensive machine calibrating or blade positioning..... In other words, its more accurate and efficient...

As for the Sharpener. I see 3 main upgrades.. First, the wheels are steel based meaning the hollow and diametre of the wheel NEVER change. They have 11 different hollow options from 3/8 to 1". Second, the auto-centering mechanism means the blades are Always at dead center of the wheel no matter what the thickness of the blade is.. This means perfect edges Every time. Having perfect edges allows for more shallow cuts wich will increase speed and endurance, without compromising the bite. Third is the controlled pressure of the wheels on the blades, making sure the grinding Always follows the profile of the blade so the shape/profile of the blade is Never altered. And it sharpens two skates/blades at the same time.

It seems like the company is in the middle of completing branding and marketing related issues and should have a website and stuff up soon....

Edited by ACE 22 QC

5 minutes ago, ACE 22 QC said:

The company is currently working on two seperate machines.

First, the profiler, wich is a huge upgrade in precision compared to traditional profiling... 

Do you happen to know how it profiles? Is it a template based system like ProSharp?  ProSkate Balance does a great job of blade matching, but profiles only as a flat.

Edited by mojo122

2 minutes ago, mojo122 said:

Do you happen to know how it profiles? Is it a template based system like ProSharp?  ProSkate Balance does a great job of blade matching, but profiles only as a flat.

its a template based sysytem. in the video above at the end (13 seconds left) the video shows the profiler in action. Almost any option is available....

Very cool.  

But if the skates don't match left and right, does it mean you have to profile them first and then sharpen?

For the V3 sharpening machine, I assume it just sharpens?  Once you have a perfect matching set, then it will sharpen both okay?

Technology is the way of the future for skate sharpening.