Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marka

Gloves that stay on

Howdy,

Tonight, during a game, I noticed that my left Bauer Supreme One.8 glove was loose enough that when I was skating without my hand on the stick (lefty), the glove would get loose enough that I'd need to adjust it a little when I grabbed the stick shaft.

That's annoying.

Is there some type of glove out there that has a closure system that keeps the glove in place, no matter what?  I'm thinking like a velcro strap sorta like motorsports racing gloves have, if you're familiar with them...

Mark

You're sure they're not too big? 

The flex cuff portion on the new Warrior Covert QRLs keep them in place pretty well. Maybe time to try some different gloves?

Closest I've seen is the old Easton GX line that had the velcro adjustment for the cuff and cuff rolls. QRLs look like they're the closest ancestor to those gloves, coincidentally, just without the velcro bits.

As I was annoyed by a similar glove looseness as you @marka, I thought about stuffing something like POWERFOOT inserts behind my gloves' liners to make them fit more snug. I never took that setup out on the ice, but apparently someone did and reported it to be incredibly warm on the hands. I ended up rolling up the liner so it's essentially triple thick at the top and liner-free at the bottom of the backhand. This produced the desired effect of a glove that stayed in place without me having to consciously hold the glove onto my hand. As a bonus, it provided better finger flex and response from the gloves, as there was no longer a liner mitigating what my knuckles were doing. It's a cheap hack and worth a shot if it can solve your issue. No guarantees of course, as everyone's hands and gloves are different.

7 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Tonight, during a game, I noticed that my left Bauer Supreme One.8 glove was loose enough that when I was skating without my hand on the stick (lefty), the glove would get loose enough that I'd need to adjust it a little when I grabbed the stick shaft.

That's annoying.

Is there some type of glove out there that has a closure system that keeps the glove in place, no matter what?  I'm thinking like a velcro strap sorta like motorsports racing gloves have, if you're familiar with them...

Mark

...but what will you do when you need to throw the gloves down to fight???  "Sorry, just give me a second to undo my gloves..." LOL

(just having a bit of fun on a Friday) ;)

Maybe they aren't too big (length wise) but not the right fit for what you prefer. I had some really nice Eagle X72's and once they broke I found myself always pushing on one to keep it in place. The answer was simple, I didn't like the roomy fit of a 4-roll. You should try a tapered fit like a Supreme or Warrior QR's.

A snug fit around the hand will solve your problem. But a strap, no, never seen something like that.

Don't those gloves have an internal fabric "flap"?  If so, in what position is that flap?  Pushed in toward the fingers, or pulled out toward the cuff?  If toward the cuff, try it with it pushed in. 

3 minutes ago, stick9 said:

Maybe they aren't too big (length wise) but not the right fit for what you prefer. I had some really nice Eagle X72's and once they broke I found myself always pushing on one to keep it in place. The answer was simple, I didn't like the roomy fit of a 4-roll. You should try a tapered fit like a Supreme or Warrior QR's.

A snug fit around the hand will solve your problem. But a strap, no, never seen something like that.

He is in Supremes, which should be the most tapered fit available. 

26 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Yeah. I thought the same thing as stick9 but then looked them up (I'm not a Bauer guy). 

19 minutes ago, krisdrum said:

Do'h! First line too. Valuable lesson here, never post until fully caffeinated.

If a Supreme isn't working, a Warrior or maybe even an STX would be the next step. 

7 hours ago, kmfdm86 said:

You're sure they're not too big? 

The flex cuff portion on the new Warrior Covert QRLs keep them in place pretty well. Maybe time to try some different gloves?

Howdy,

Yeah, I'm eyeing up some QRL Pros.  They felt pretty good in the store.  I dunno if I'm quite ready to replace gloves that aren't worn out yet.  :-)

The Supremes I've got now were one of the tighter fitting gloves I could find.  Over time they've just sorta broken in to the point where the fit around the base of my palm is no longer as tight as I'd like.

Mark

Howdy,

1 hour ago, krisdrum said:

Don't those gloves have an internal fabric "flap"?  If so, in what position is that flap?  Pushed in toward the fingers, or pulled out toward the cuff?  If toward the cuff, try it with it pushed in. 

The flap on the backhand you mean?  Its pushed in, along the back of my backhand.  I'd have called it a liner?  Not 100% sure that's what you're talking about.

Mark

14 minutes ago, marka said:

Howdy,

The flap on the backhand you mean?  Its pushed in, along the back of my backhand.  I'd have called it a liner?  Not 100% sure that's what you're talking about.

Mark

Yep, that is what I am talking about.  I know some folks flip it out for a looser fit.  Sounds like you are covered there.  Maybe adding a bit of volume to the liner will help.  As suggested some additional foam. 

Definitely the QRL Pro's. I have them and now that they're broken in, they are still close the hand, but they will not fall off unless I really, really shake them hard a few times or pull them off. However, they're not too tight to where they're constrictive. They have that nice tapered fit, getting a little looser as you go away from the fingers.

Howdy,

2 hours ago, chippa13 said:

If Supremes are sliding off his hand during play then they're probably too big.

I could buy "too wide" or something, but finger length wise, they seem to fit pretty well.  If anything the fingers are a tiny bit short, leaving the tips of my fingers a bit more exposed than I might otherwise like.

They're 14" Supreme One.8's.  I'm 5'10", 170 lbs.  From the base of my palm to the end of my middle finger is ~7.25"  Width across my palm / base of the four fingers is ~3.5"

If I decide its enough of a problem, I'll probably give the QRL Pros a try.  I wish the QR line had had that same cuff, so I could get some on clearance.  :-)

edit:  I still just wish someone made one with a velcro strap, kinda like you can see here:
tw%20moto%20mugello%20gloves(orange).jpg

Mark

I'd add that the QR pro's are a good tight fit. Maybe if you don't want to give up on the gloves then try wearing some thin gloves underneath. I've heard of some goalies using batting gloves or even something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Wowlife-Cotton-Lightweight-Etiquette-Handling/dp/B00WOD0RK4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487370791&sr=8-3&keywords=jewelry+handling+gloves

6 hours ago, marka said:

Howdy,

I could buy "too wide" or something, but finger length wise, they seem to fit pretty well.  If anything the fingers are a tiny bit short, leaving the tips of my fingers a bit more exposed than I might otherwise like.

They're 14" Supreme One.8's.  I'm 5'10", 170 lbs.  From the base of my palm to the end of my middle finger is ~7.25"  Width across my palm / base of the four fingers is ~3.5"

If I decide its enough of a problem, I'll probably give the QRL Pros a try.  I wish the QR line had had that same cuff, so I could get some on clearance.  :-)

edit:  I still just wish someone made one with a velcro strap, kinda like you can see here:
tw%20moto%20mugello%20gloves(orange).jpg

Mark

Aren't too big and too wide the same thing?

Just to weigh in... I cannot imagine a velcro star or anything tight like that or that glove on my wrists.  I think for almost all of us we would prefer a looser wrist so that we can move without restriction.  

IMO, gloves being a little falling off when you not holding the stick is an indication of good fit. A little loose to ensure comfort, not too loose that they fall off.

For you, I'd recommend warrior qr and dt gloves. They are true tapered fitting gloves(unlike Bauer vapors)---sung in fingers and palm, and open up in wrist.

What you show is pretty much what the original Easton GX gloves were like. Or at least that's the closest hockey glove to what you're showing.

$_1.JPG$_1.JPG

They were popular in their day but quite restrictive compared to today's gloves. I think the QRL was influenced by Warrior cloning these for Mike Modano's Red Wings' gloves. These had that same elastic connective band around the top of the glove and the cuff, allowing for more wrist movement. It wasn't nearly as free-floating, off the shelf, as the QRL's AxyFlex cuff though.

What I'd do, if I could afford the custom work, is attach an elastic band on the palm side of the glove, pad it with the standard glove liner, and give it a velcro buckle so one can adjust for hand thickness / snugness preference. That way, the glove would stay directly connected to the palm and without giving that falling off the hand sensation, but still with ample space on the backhand to allow free 360º rotation, as well as free knuckle movement if the backhand padding is replaced by the padded velcro strap.

12 hours ago, dkmiller3356 said:

Just to weigh in... I cannot imagine a velcro star or anything tight like that or that glove on my wrists.  I think for almost all of us we would prefer a looser wrist so that we can move without restriction.  

Yep! Even the soft wrist support I've been wearing for tendinitis restricts my movement to the point where it screws with my shot, restricting proper follow thru.