Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MoogMoose

Wheel sizing and using wheels other than chassis states

I'm new to this sport as well as this forum and I have attempted to search this question but I'm not finding what I'm looking for. If there is another location please let me know.  In the meantime I have a wheel sizing question.

I found some frames that would fit the narrow heel of a Bauer Vapor boot.  Now these are a hi-lo setup 68, 68, 76, 76.  I'm assuming with a 8mm difference that would be considered a more dramatic forward pitch.  If I don't care for that aggressive of a stance, could I, in theory, switch to 68,68,72,72? I understand no going higher than what the frame states, but would it be a horrible idea to go with a lower wheels size in the back?

If the frame is designed for an 8mm difference, the only way that all 4 wheels can touch the ground simultaneously is if you respect that 8mm difference. And the smaller wheels in the front don't mean a forward pitch. You can have a straight 76mm frame that has the same pitch as a 68,68,76,76.

Thanks for the the response.

I have 74a 68mm front wheels.  I also have some 74a 72mm.  So since that seems to be a no go, what would happen if the fronts were 74a and the backs were 76a?

It's hard to say, a lot depends on how you skate (toe, neutral, heel stance) and the surface you are on and how clean it is. But there isn't a huge amount of difference between the 2, the front will have a tiny bit more grip and the back will be a fraction quicker, just put them on and skate.

I placed the 76mm in the back and the 68mm in the back.  I also mounted a frame from a jr. skate on a sr boot but I wear a 6-6.5 so it was close.  Hopefully that doesn't cause an issue.  The wheels stick out in front of and behind the boot so I'm hopeful all will be okay. Might be a touch further out behind.  Any concerns with using  frame that is technically smaller?

There are no issues using a larger or smaller frame as long as it is mounted correctly, you just have the trade off between more agility or more speed.