Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lmooney19

How many guys in the NHL use skates below the top model?

7 minutes ago, lmooney19 said:

Do players in the NHL use current models that arent top of the line? Like Nexus 9000   X900s etc

Just curious about this is all

I know some players use the Vapor X90/x800, Supreme 190/s190 and Nexus 7000. Don't know if some drop down for CCM

This seems like a kinda weird question as no one is going to be answer for every team in the whole NHL and also what do you mean "top model"?

Top model as in the exact retail spec'd skate from the current year or a current "top model" badged skate that has different tongues, stiffness and sizing (which makes it fairly different to an off the shelf model anyway)?

1 minute ago, malcb33 said:

This seems like a kinda weird question as no one is going to be answer for every team in the whole NHL and also what do you mean "top model"?

Top model as in the exact retail spec'd skate from the current year or a current "top model" badged skate that has different tongues, stiffness and sizing (which makes it fairly different to an off the shelf model anyway)?

I meant like a top of the line on shelf model (best model in each companies lineup). Of course i realize every boot is customized for each player.  I was curious if instead of starting with an X1 would they start with a 900 and customize for any reason.  

10 hours ago, lmooney19 said:

I meant like a top of the line on shelf model (best model in each companies lineup). Of course i realize every boot is customized for each player.  I was curious if instead of starting with an X1 would they start with a 900 and customize for any reason.  

JR's posted some pics of pro spec 1S's. Which is actually close to a S190 (no injected lacing, traditional tendon guard, standard felt tongue).

I was told that there are a number of Bauer players - not sure how many probably only a few and dwindling - who still prefer the tech mesh construction skates over the curve.  They get custom Nexus V-cut skates but you could argue they are not 1X or top of the line.  Its silly really, they get pro stiffeners, etc.  They are not retail.

Custom made skates are often a departure from standard line config and even though marked as whatever, they are often not that. I am sure if one would want X1 skate with S140 graphics on it, it would be possible to do, but perhaps hockey players rarely posses this kind of sense of humor... well and mfg probably would have argument against this as well.

27 minutes ago, getthekidthepuck said:

There was a picture on this site of Drew Doughty's locker from the all star game, irc he had x900's. Its a good question I have always wondered the same.

Finally, someone else who appreciates this kind of question, haha

From my understanding of how Bauer makes skates is that while yes they can make a 1X skate for someone with a Nexus foot shape they do not (I'm sure there are some exceptions for their athletes).  When they make a cast of the players foot they choose whichever boot shape fits that cast the best and works off of that. Check the video only 24 seconds in.  Now players do have options for + or - stiffness, injected eyelets vs standard, tongues, there are other options since it is a custom skate.  The V Cut/ Nexus vapor is another option of the older tech mesh X90 that some players loved.

These guys are going through roughly 1 pair of skates a month so I doubt any of them are using skates below top of the line.  If a players was in S160s they would blow through those skates in a week given their skating ability, strength, and weight.  Most of Bauers 1 step down skates are top of the line just with out the flashy features.

For pros, college and junior teams I know Bauer makes a standard retail skate with some of the more basic options like @stick9 mentioned.  They basically produce a S190 with 1S graphics, but a S190 is not very different than 1S.  As far as CCM is concerned I don't think they do the same since their top end skates do not have the same features as Bauer skates.

Hope everyone enjoyed my rambling.