Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amiroo39

Trying on boots in the store. What is the point?

I've been looking to replace my MX3s and went into the LHS today to try on a few pairs of skates. My LHS has a love relationship with Bauer so no CCM super tacks to try. But I could not believe how "ski boot" like the 1S and 1X felt on my feet. I could not for the life of me tell which one would fit me better. Compared to my MX3s, the new tongue was quite a lot bulkier on the 1S, I could barely tie the laces around it. I know it'll be much better after a bake and mold but how does the average guy tell the difference. I'm not new to buying skates, I'm very picky in fact. 

Going in I knew the 1S is my best bet, very similar to the MX3s and so on. My issue with the MX3s have been the heel as I'm looking for a narrower fit in that area. 

Anyways, I was just curious how you guys can tell which boot feels best in the store.

I'll try to get some super tacks on my feet, and if that's a no go, I'm off to a VH fitting. 

Had to vent. 

Thanks

Which store did you go to?

In short to answer your question, you really can't tell just by the in store fit alone.  I won't plug anybody here but a local store with 4 locations in your area will take back skates within 30 days of purchase and give you a credit towards another pair if you are not satisfied with them.  If you are interested in trying out the Super Tacks skates you should get your LHS to contact Jeff or Sandy (the local CCM reps) to see if they still have their demo fleet available.

I recently tried on S190s and Ultra Tacks. The most noticeable difference I found was that the Tacks have a higher arch. For someone like me with low arches it was noticeable before I even tied the skates. As for your heel, have you ever thought of trying on some Bunga pads? Aside from their main purpose of cushioning pressure/rub points and stuff like that, they take up negative space and can help with fit.

When I was getting new skates, I ended narrowing it down to two choices, S190s or N9000s. The S190s were giving me lacebite, but the N9000s were roomy around the heel. I chose the N9000s and used bunga pads to get the proper heel lock. Not ideal but it works.

Honestly, if I didn't need the new skates right away, I think I would have considered the VH customs more seriously. I think that may be the way I go next time.   

Biggest thing to consider between the 1X and 1S is boot depth. The 1X will definitely have a narrower heel, but the depth will also be something to think about. I'd lace them up then bend forward as if you're in stride. You want to see how much resistance the laces provide against the tongue. If it's way to tight up front, you could chance lace bite. You could even pencil test both to get a general feel for depth and likelihood of lace bite. Moving from the MX3 to the 1S seems like the smartest decision on paper, but if you've had heel issues, or lack of heel lock, then the 1X is definitely something to explore as you've mentioned.

I'll agree that all three Bauer versions felt a little ski boot-like on my foot before they were baked.  For me though, the 1X hugged my heel better than the other two and since I knew that's what I wanted, that's what I got.  I couldn't be happier with them actually.  Keep in mind, I'm coming from a pair of APX.

That being said, I asked if they'd bake two pairs for me: the Supreme and Vapor line.  Once they're baked, the difference was night and day.  The Supreme felt like a shoe box whereas the 1X felt like second skin.  I stood on them after cooling for around 30 minutes each and felt each as my foot was inside.  Take your time and move around if they'll let you.  The LHS I'm thinking of in your area definitely let me do this...

I definitely agree with you though about the new tongue Bauer is using.  I much prefer the old style, but apparently it was the most requested mod to go back to the felt.  Ultimately, I'm okay with it though.  

I've got a review of the 1X on here if you're interested.

They're really getting to a point where baking becomes a necessity just for trying skates on. It used to be that you'd find the boot that fits well and the baking is just meant to help the break-in process but not change the fit.

Now, it totally changes the fit. 

16 hours ago, vinprun71 said:

Biggest thing to consider between the 1X and 1S is boot depth. The 1X will definitely have a narrower heel, but the depth will also be something to think about. I'd lace them up then bend forward as if you're in stride. You want to see how much resistance the laces provide against the tongue. If it's way to tight up front, you could chance lace bite. You could even pencil test both to get a general feel for depth and likelihood of lace bite. Moving from the MX3 to the 1S seems like the smartest decision on paper, but if you've had heel issues, or lack of heel lock, then the 1X is definitely something to explore as you've mentioned.

yes, the 1X had considerably less depth and didn't pass the pencil test. 

20 hours ago, puckpilot said:

I recently tried on S190s and Ultra Tacks. The most noticeable difference I found was that the Tacks have a higher arch. For someone like me with low arches it was noticeable before I even tied the skates. As for your heel, have you ever thought of trying on some Bunga pads? Aside from their main purpose of cushioning pressure/rub points and stuff like that, they take up negative space and can help with fit.

When I was getting new skates, I ended narrowing it down to two choices, S190s or N9000s. The S190s were giving me lacebite, but the N9000s were roomy around the heel. I chose the N9000s and used bunga pads to get the proper heel lock. Not ideal but it works.

Honestly, if I didn't need the new skates right away, I think I would have considered the VH customs more seriously. I think that may be the way I go next time.   

Currently using stable 26's with the MX3 and they do the job. Another plus of the VH I'm guessing is I can just go back to regular thin socks.

7 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

They're really getting to a point where baking becomes a necessity just for trying skates on. It used to be that you'd find the boot that fits well and the baking is just meant to help the break-in process but not change the fit.

Now, it totally changes the fit. 

Couldn't agree more Optimus. 

21 hours ago, mickz said:

Which store did you go to?

In short to answer your question, you really can't tell just by the in store fit alone.  I won't plug anybody here but a local store with 4 locations in your area will take back skates within 30 days of purchase and give you a credit towards another pair if you are not satisfied with them.  If you are interested in trying out the Super Tacks skates you should get your LHS to contact Jeff or Sandy (the local CCM reps) to see if they still have their demo fleet available.

I know who you're talking about, I'll be visiting them shortly. I love how the tacks and bauer generally look and feel as a finished product but I'm getting to a point where I look past aesthetics and gimmicks and go for comfort and fit. 

6 hours ago, Amiroo39 said:

yes, the 1X had considerably less depth and didn't pass the pencil test. 

Currently using stable 26's with the MX3 and they do the job. Another plus of the VH I'm guessing is I can just go back to regular thin socks.

Couldn't agree more Optimus. 

I know who you're talking about, I'll be visiting them shortly. I love how the tacks and bauer generally look and feel as a finished product but I'm getting to a point where I look past aesthetics and gimmicks and go for comfort and fit. 

Looks like the 1S is the choice then unless you opt out of Bauer.