Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tpedersen3118

SMU Skates?

I stumbled across some SMU skates recently and, from an outward appearance these seem like a really good deal. Specifically, I'm talking about the Bauer Supreme Ignite Pro+. These combine the boot of the S180, and features of the S190 that I really like (currently in 2014 190's) - comfort edge, S190 tongue, LS3 steel - all for about $180 less than the current S190 skate. Typically I have only seen SMU's on the web at retailers outside of the US. I guess my question is - Why are these an option? and why am I only able to find them outside the US? Is this a cost thing? seems like a pretty good option if a guy can get his hands on them.  Thx!

SMU skates are made for large buying groups (eg. Source For Sports/Sports Excellence/Play It Again Sports).  With their buying power, they're able to have manufacturers make them product exclusive to them, just like any other SMU you see out there.

Sports Excellence has affiliated stores in the US.  A search on their site should show you results.

We have a few close to my store in Metro Detroit, so I've seen a few of them when they come in for sharpening.

1 hour ago, tpedersen3118 said:

I stumbled across some SMU skates recently and, from an outward appearance these seem like a really good deal. Specifically, I'm talking about the Bauer Supreme Ignite Pro+. These combine the boot of the S180, and features of the S190 that I really like (currently in 2014 190's) - comfort edge, S190 tongue, LS3 steel - all for about $180 less than the current S190 skate. Typically I have only seen SMU's on the web at retailers outside of the US. I guess my question is - Why are these an option? and why am I only able to find them outside the US? Is this a cost thing? seems like a pretty good option if a guy can get his hands on them.  Thx!

They are in the states for sure.  We have a local shop with a similar makeup s180/190 mashup, the "Supreme Matrix" priced at $600.  I tried them on and they felt great, extremely similar to the skate I ended up with, the S190. If I wasn't able to catch a deal on slightly used S190, that would have been the skate I ended up with.

Hell, if you blind tested me out on the ice, I'd imagine I couldn't tell the difference. 

also SMU skates usually a hybrid of lower and higher end models. CCM Xtra SMU is an example. It has lower end quarter package, but tongue and outsole, eyelets config is from higher end models.

I believe Xtra SMU is JS260 quarter, 290 tongue, JetSpeed lacing config. I think outsole and holders from JetSpeed as well, but regular runner.

Anyway, these combinations usually make for a better value to the customer. I believe Xtra SMU available in  base and Pro models with $100 difference for pro. I believe "pro", get you stiffer, heat moldabl;e quarter package from JS280 I think.  

Obviously SMU are available from Bauer as well with perhaps similar combinations

JR is spot on.... there are a bunch of different models out there now that are SMU depending on what buying group your LHS is apart of. Generally the SMU is a better skate than the original model, definitely worth it if they are the same price as the original skate.

The $500-600 SMU skates are IMHO by far the best bang for your buck in regards to quality out there.

3 hours ago, JR Boucicaut said:

SMU skates are made for large buying groups (eg. Source For Sports/Sports Excellence/Play It Again Sports).  With their buying power, they're able to have manufacturers make them product exclusive to them, just like any other SMU you see out there.

Sports Excellence has affiliated stores in the US.  A search on their site should show you results.

We have a few close to my store in Metro Detroit, so I've seen a few of them when they come in for sharpening.

Never mind.