Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HarpGuy

Sharpening after every game question for home Sharpeners

Ok, I am interested in general theory / ideas here. 

Do you guys think it would be beneficial, both in performance and blade life, to run a pass or two over your skates after every use,

OR

To wait until they "need" sharpening. By need I mean right before they actually NEED sharpening, whatever that duration of time is. 

What would the life of the blades be, what would your performance be, what would the life of your wheel be like?

I do two passes before every game. I bought the machine to guarantee consistency, so it makes more sense to sharpen constantly rather than only doing it "when it starts to feel wrong". 

I don't care about blade life, and wheel life in my case is a known finite number: at two passes it should be about 100 sharpenings. Probably looking at more like 60-70 realistically for the times I need to do more passes because I'm a goalie and I get some pretty significant nicks in the edges at times. 

That's what I was thinking. It might be nice to sharpen them every time out. I'm just looking for evidence to convince myself to buy a machine. I'd LOVE to try FBV, but I swear to God there are no FBV sharpeners in the NYC area, and the machine is ~$1500 :(

Eq Mgr from Bruins did a video for Sparx recently where he talks about how he uses that machine. Basically, his approach is cleaning skates up in between games and practices, a few passes, just to make sure the edges are good for the next day, assuming he sees no significant defects.  I see having a fresh touch-up as the biggest advantage to these home machines.  Consistency, consistency, consistency.  Would be the biggest motivator for me to pick one up.   

52 minutes ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

but if my edges are always perfect... thats one less thing I can blame poor performance on. 

That's my reason (excuse) for having nicer/newer gear than the players who are actually good at hockey... just ensuring that the gear isn't the hindering factor ;) haha

Hey, we need all the help we can get no? I'm sure any NHL player could score a dozen goals on our beer league goalie with a Sherwood PMP 5030. 

20 hours ago, GreatestAmericanBeardo said:

but if my edges are always perfect... thats one less thing I can blame poor performance on. 

Always blame your teammates.

On 2017-03-13 at 8:50 AM, HarpGuy said:

That's what I was thinking. It might be nice to sharpen them every time out. I'm just looking for evidence to convince myself to buy a machine. I'd LOVE to try FBV, but I swear to God there are no FBV sharpeners in the NYC area, and the machine is ~$1500 :(

At that price I'd rather buy a Blademaster portable and upgrade the stock jig to a SH6000 or SH8000.  Not worth the money or the hype.  Just make sure you learn from a competent sharpener.

On 3/13/2017 at 11:50 AM, HarpGuy said:

If Long Island isn't too far out of the way, they do FBV at the pro shop in Newbridge.  Christine, the shop manager is detail oriented and does a great job.  I don't trust my blades with anyone else in the area. 

I usually do a pass or two to touch the edges up between every couple games or practices. Your mindset totally changes to a constant perfection/maintenance mode from a "skate on them until they MUST be sharpened" mentality. Before a big game, or when we've been on the road or got a nick in the blade, I'll do a full 4 (or more as necessary) passes.

Colin

I am sure if you have a sharpener or access to one at a drop of a hat, you will have plenty of reasons to sharpen every time, if not, you will find plenty why this is not necessary and something like sharpening every 5, 6, or even more outings is adequate.  

On 3/15/2017 at 0:17 PM, DamnLocust said:

If Long Island isn't too far out of the way, they do FBV at the pro shop in Newbridge.  Christine, the shop manager is detail oriented and does a great job.  I don't trust my blades with anyone else in the area. 

She's also an amazing goalie.

On 3/13/2017 at 8:59 AM, HarpGuy said:

Ok, I am interested in general theory / ideas here. 

Do you guys think it would be beneficial, both in performance and blade life, to run a pass or two over your skates after every use,

OR

To wait until they "need" sharpening. By need I mean right before they actually NEED sharpening, whatever that duration of time is. 

What would the life of the blades be, what would your performance be, what would the life of your wheel be like?

Barring any major damage, I tend to do mine every 2 or three times on the ice. Every time feels like overkill and I don't want to feel a dramatic difference the next time I get on the ice. I like consistency.