Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turtlegal08

Wheel Help

Hi guys, I'm new here. I need help with selecting wheels. I just bought a pair of tacks that come with dynasty wheels that are 74a. I'm 5'3" and weigh about 210. These wheels are rated for 170lb and below. I currently play on a painted wood surface, but am going to state wars to play on the sport court. I have never bought wheels, just used what came stock. Any suggestions for either surface is appreciated.

I'm 210, never played on wood but for sport court I go with 76a and 78a Labeda grippers. 

If you want a high end wheel, tough to beet the Orange addictions (what I'm on now). 

Hi guys,

I'm going to hijack this thread because I don't want to start a new one. I skate on this type of flooring, and I find that the recommended durometer wheels for my weight are chunking quite badly. I do know that I have good skating technique and do put more downforce into the wheels than some, which I know leads to more wear, but I'm thinking it's a possibility that the flooring that is causing this. Only the front and back wheels chunk, not the middle two. I'm thinking of going one or two hardness rating up for the front and back wheels. Anyone have a similar experience?

Mark

That floor is pretty much a cheese grater... I've only skated on it a few times and I used 78a wheels (I normally use 74 or 76a on regular sport court) didn't find them ideal though was definitely slipping

Your plan to use harder wheels on the front and back sounds good.

My other thought would be to try a dual durometer wheel (if you aren't already) since they're harder on the outside they should wear less

Also, the labeda grippers are generally viewed as the most durable single pour wheels so might be a good choice as well

9 hours ago, Isles12 said:

That floor is pretty much a cheese grater... I've only skated on it a few times and I used 78a wheels (I normally use 74 or 76a on regular sport court) didn't find them ideal though was definitely slipping

Your plan to use harder wheels on the front and back sounds good.

My other thought would be to try a dual durometer wheel (if you aren't already) since they're harder on the outside they should wear less

Also, the labeda grippers are generally viewed as the most durable single pour wheels so might be a good choice as well

Thanks for the insight, @Isles12! You're completely right, the floor is like a cheesegrater. I've already ripped one pair of pants falling on the ground.

I'm considering the dual durometer wheels as well, but they're generally more expensive and I don't want to gamble on them So far, my Labeda Millenniums and Addictions are chunking really badly. Perhaps I should try the Grippers - I'll have the 76A on order soon. I'm only 110lbs, so anything harder than that will most certainly cause some slippage. 

Addictions, splits, krysis that I or my kids / team mates have used all chunked over time. We skate on a poured urethane surface which has insane grip and also sport court tiles at other rinks. Revision variant plus were one of the only wheels I used that didn't chunk out but the grip went off faster than other wheels. I haven't tried Revision Flex or Rink Rat Dual Identities yet. I find with wheels you get what you pay for but the biggest factor in how they wear is your skating style.

I don't blame you for not wanting to spend on the wheels I think the prices are crazy.

The grippers should be worth a try since they're "cheap". Most of the players on my team use them and they last forever. One guy has been using a set for the last two or three years and he plays on two teams the wheels are cracking but haven't chunked out yet lol

I second the Konixx wheels. The Revision Variant, Variant + and Steel wheels also held up well for me, but I find the Konixx Pure wheels (I use the +2 wheels, but am over 200lbs) to be faster, grip even better and are just as durable.

I started spending more on wheels and found that I was also getting better durability for the higher price point. I play on Ice Court and was getting 1 may 1.5 seasons out of cheaper wheels. Switched to Addictions and i'm 7 months strong on them (playing 1 - 2 nights a week). Probably wont be thinking about new wheels until the end of this current season. 

On 06/01/2018 at 6:18 AM, Vet88 said:

Addictions, splits, krysis that I or my kids / team mates have used all chunked over time. We skate on a poured urethane surface which has insane grip and also sport court tiles at other rinks. Revision variant plus were one of the only wheels I used that didn't chunk out but the grip went off faster than other wheels. I haven't tried Revision Flex or Rink Rat Dual Identities yet. I find with wheels you get what you pay for but the biggest factor in how they wear is your skating style.

I just played again yesterday and noticed that my right rear wheel chunks less than my left. I do know that there's a difference in ability between my right and left, so you may be on to something here too.

13 hours ago, MD56 said:

I started spending more on wheels and found that I was also getting better durability for the higher price point. I play on Ice Court and was getting 1 may 1.5 seasons out of cheaper wheels. Switched to Addictions and i'm 7 months strong on them (playing 1 - 2 nights a week). Probably wont be thinking about new wheels until the end of this current season. 

I have the Addictions too, but I'm too afraid to try them out for fear of destroying them =(

On 1/17/2018 at 2:09 AM, salibandy said:

I have the Addictions too, but I'm too afraid to try them out for fear of destroying them =(

So i pulled out the receipt and i'm now officially over the 1 year mark on my Orange Addictions. I took a good look at them before my game last week and they definitely do have some good cracks and splits but they still perform really well. Just based on how they look i think it's time to replace them, but i'm pretty ok with how long they've lasted (skating avg twice a week). $13 a wheel stings when it comes time to make the order, but i know i wont regret it once I hit the rink.  

10 hours ago, OpenIceHit42 said:

Has anyone used the Alkali RDP recon wheels? Getting back into to roller and don’t want to spend a fortune playing one night a week

I tried the Alkali Quantum outdoor wheels on smooth asphalt and they were terrible. No grip and felt like flat tires. The Recons cost less so I don't expect better. I normally use Labeda Asphalts and love them.

On 3/16/2018 at 3:01 AM, OpenIceHit42 said:

Has anyone used the Alkali RDP recon wheels? Getting back into to roller and don’t want to spend a fortune playing one night a week

Depending on where you are playing. LABEDA Shooters are decent for the price.  Some of the RED STAR Wheels can be a bargin.  Once again depends on the surface.  For outdoor i found asphalts are the best bang for my buck.