Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mjpisat

Qrl pro vs x900

Haven't used the x900, but the QRL Pro is a great stick. It's $149 CDN at hockey supremacy at the moment. Only negative (and this is personal preference) I found with it is the glossy smooth finish/texture on the blade. I prefer a matte or slightly rough texture on my blade over a glossy one. 

colins

4 minutes ago, colins said:

Haven't used the x900, but the QRL Pro is a great stick. It's $149 CDN at hockey supremacy at the moment. Only negative (and this is personal preference) I found with it is the glossy smooth finish/texture on the blade. I prefer a matte or slightly rough texture on my blade over a glossy one. 

colins

The QR Pro had great feedback, good to hear this edition does as well. Can you compare it to some of the other sticks you've used?

I have a QRL1 and a 1X. I can give you an opinion comparing those two, and maybe that will give you an idea of which you'd prefer. They're both really good sticks. IMHO it's not which one is better, it's which one is better for you. Full disclosure i use junior sticks, because I'm short and weak, so take this with a grain. 

In general the QRL line, witch I own the QRL1, QRL3, and QRL4, is way more whippy in feel than the 1X. I have to put plugs into the sticks to bring the to my preferred height, so I put a 2 inch plug in my QRL sticks, and I put a 3 inch plug in my 1X, and the 1X still feels way stiffer.  It's not even close. It feels as stiff as any one of my intermediate sticks, which are 60+ flex. In fact I actually swapped the 3 inch plug out for a 4 inch one in the 1X, and only then did I feel like the stick would be workable for me.

The QRL blades are also softer than the 1X's. I don't think it matters as much in intermediates and seniors, but because of this, I find it a little more difficult to get a good slap shot off without the blade opening up a little. But then again that's not what these sticks are supposed to be best at, and slap shots are not a big part of my game. In comparison, the 1X's blade is really stiff and doesn't open up at all when I take a slap shot.  

Because of the general stiffness, I find it a little harder to aim with the 1X, but that will probably improve with usage. I've only got about 8 hours on the 1X. But the QRL1, I feel like I can put it anywhere I want. It's claim to fame is an OT winner beating the goalie far side corner, off post, crossbar, and in. 

In terms of weight, the QRL1 is noticably lighter. For some that can be a good thing. For others, not so much. Because of this the general puck feel is different. I'd say the puck feel is a little bit better on the 1X, but ask me tomorrow, and I might say something different. 

Any way, I hope this helps you a little with your decision.

8 hours ago, AIREAYE said:

The QR Pro had great feedback, good to hear this edition does as well. Can you compare it to some of the other sticks you've used?

I haven't used it myself, my oldest son who plays midget has it.

It's got great weight and balance, especially for a stick at that price level, and durability hasn't been an issue at all. Ice Warehouse lists it as a 479 gram stick in a senior, but there's no way that's correct. In the video review (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWbRJU1gJgI) Chase says it's about 440 grams at 63" which is 3" longer than most retail senior sticks.  I weighed mine when I got it, I can't find the numbers now but I recall it was <450grams. The video also shows what I mean by the glossy finish on the blade, which is probably the only knock I have against this stick, and that's just a personal preference thing.

I can't give a real good perspective on it vs. other sticks in terms of play-ability as I haven't used it myself (it's got an E3 curve which I don't prefer).

colins

Howdy,

9 hours ago, colins said:

colins

Wow.  That's crazy cheap... $112 US!  I thought there were MAP restrictions on current model stuff like this?

That stick is $200 US at Total.

Mark

1 hour ago, marka said:

Howdy,

Wow.  That's crazy cheap... $112 US!  I thought there were MAP restrictions on current model stuff like this?

That stick is $200 US at Total.

Mark

That'd be great, but no shipping to USA.

@mjpisat, check out my review of the QRL vs. QRL Pro here: QRL vs QRL Pro

Although it doesn't compare it against the X900, I think it provides a good deal of info about how the Pro compares to the top of the line stick and some of it's pro's and con's. Personally, I think the Vapor is much more whippy than the Warrior's and I think the blades in the Warriors are a little nicer than the Bauers.

I've found that the warrior sticks have improved incredibly over the years. I'm a big fan of the QRL Pro, DTst,and the DT2. I've found the second level sticks have all been the best sticks for the buck in regards to pop and durability. 

Side note. I spray all my stick blades with Krylon non-skid spray. 

8 hours ago, A2rhino said:

I've found that the warrior sticks have improved incredibly over the years. I'm a big fan of the QRL Pro, DTst,and the DT2. I've found the second level sticks have all been the best sticks for the buck in regards to pop and durability. 

Side note. I spray all my stick blades with Krylon non-skid spray. 

How much spray do you use and how do you think it affect balance of the stick? I would consider that on my QRL Pro as I'm not a fan of the glossy finish on that stick. I prefer the sandpaper finish too.

Just a couple passes. Been doing it for years. I personally can't notice any difference in balance. I believe it does provide a better grip for the tape as well as a slight coat of protection over the blade. 

I think you'll like it. Someone on here told me about this trick years ago and I've been doing it ever since.