Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gosinger

Heart rate in game - what to do with the data?

So, I've recently invested in a Tickr X chest strap that allows me to track my heart rate without wearing a watch or mobile on my person. Now that I'm able to get the data, I have a few questions on what to do with it.

Since most tools / websites are intended for Runners / Cyclists / other-endurance-heavy-sport, I feel that the nature of a hockey game isn't well captured in those. While the technical aspect of parsing the files is easy, making sense of the data is another topic.

My question:

Based on only Heart Rate as an input, what metrics would be of interest to you when you record a game / training? Or are there any other inputs you'd have for such a tool/website/etc?

• Time-on-ice? (Via shift-duration, I'd think roughly the time between a "significant" drop-off in heart rate and a "medium" rise?)
  • Time-to-recover? (I'd think roughly the time between a "significant" drop-off in heart rate and it reaching a threshold / leveling out)
  • Average Heart Rate Total / On-Ice / On-Bench? (based upon the same drop-offs as above)
  • Assumed calories spent? (not really realistic but every tracker shows them...)

Thanks in advance for any feedback/input, even if it is to tell me that my proposed mechanism doesn't work out - as an Engineer I might have over-simplified my mental model of the data :)

For reference, some data I've collected so far to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Spoiler

jvcnpTj.png

Training game only, 3 lines, low intensity, strap disconnected a few times.

37UA7mH.png

Warm-up and game, 2 lines, high intensity.

I think HR is tough for hockey, as it is much more focused on explosive movements and relatively short periods of effort with recovery in between.  Much more anaerobic instead of aerobic.  HR is a lagging indicator, so you are already on the bench for a bit before you see the down turn towards recovery.  Similarly, it likely takes the very beginning of the shift to get your HR back up, so everything is skewed. 

I would think time to recovery and time to max would be where I would be most curious.  That will involve looking at the slope angle.  For recovery you want to see your heart come back to normal as quickly as possible.  And I'd probably want to see a longer slope from recovery to max HR, assuming the effort is of a similar magnitude.  That latter stat would show you are doing similar work with less stress on the system and improving your fitness.  

I used to race bicycles, but not in your typical "go for 3 hours at a relatively steady pace" way.  My events were an hour, max, with lots of quick ups and downs, far higher anaerobic demand than you typically see, similar to hockey.  I found HR to be a less useful indicator and it was all about power (wattage).  I wonder if anyone has thought up a stress gauge for a hockey skate? 

I used my Apple Watch to get some data while playing goal just to see where it gets to. I have no idea what to do with the data, it was just moderately interesting. 

1zFE892.jpg 

EDIT: This was in goal, not skating out. 

IP - really interesting.  I'd imagine as a goalie HR is even less telling, due to the "fear factor" of adrenaline and stress that I'd imagine comes along with that position.  I know I'd be shaking.  Alot less up and down than I would have guessed and interesting that at the 50 minute mark, you never really came down below 150bpm, where previously you were averaging around 130bpm, after that your average was probably closer to 170 or so. 

I also have a Tickr  (as well as other ANT+ HR straps that I could choose from). I take it the extra step and where my Forerunner 920XT so I can can hit lap when I start/stop a shift, and also wear a Moxy Sensor so I can get SMO2 an Thb. Why? Because I have it (for cycling and running) so why not use it :)

As Krisdrum mentioned, and I can attest to as well, a game of Hockey matches up pretty closely with a 1 hour high intensity bike race, or interval workout. I have a workout I do that is 3x8, 50 seconds on 50 seconds off and if I look at a graph of that compared to a graph of a game of hockey, it's pretty similar. 

I look at how much I recover between shifts, and how fast I recover. The numbers, again are very similar to what they are when I do the bike workout I described above. It's fun to look at the data, but I haven't really learned something that I can take action on. During a game if I'm feeling a little run down or not I can glance at the numbers and they usually tell me to just HTFU. I wish there was a way to get power or even accurate speed just to see if you could quantify improvement over time. I think as is you'd have to do some type of hard, repeatable skating effort for time and then look at that result in conjunction with the HR data. 

On 4/20/2017 at 11:09 AM, krisdrum said:

IP - really interesting.  I'd imagine as a goalie HR is even less telling, due to the "fear factor" of adrenaline and stress that I'd imagine comes along with that position.  I know I'd be shaking.  Alot less up and down than I would have guessed and interesting that at the 50 minute mark, you never really came down below 150bpm, where previously you were averaging around 130bpm, after that your average was probably closer to 170 or so. 

This was pickup, not a game, so a lot longer and more intense. By the end I'm just flat out exhausted. Maybe that explains it.

I really don't even know what to do with the data, I just thought it'd be fun to get it. I used an arm band you can stick an apple watch into to wear on the bicep.