Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

matix218

Broken in skate length question

Hi guys, I have a question for all of the skate fit experts (JR, etc)

Obviously after a skate is well broken in and your ankle/heel area padding sinks in more you gain some length.  My question is how much length should that be while still maintaining a proper skate fit?

I have an old (2009 model, I didnt start skating in them until 2013) pair of the (then top of the line) Bauer x60's in size 7D which I love.  When I first got them my toes feathered the end of the toebox when standing and lightly lifted off when flexing forward in a skating position (as per proper fit).  Now there is a good 2mm or so (maybe even 3mm, hard to tell) air gap between my longest toe and the end of the skate.  I realize that this is obviously due to breakdown and compression of the ankle pads causing my foot to sink deeper into the back of the boot, but is this normal/ok for a skate that fits correctly but is well used/broken in?  I can confirm that a 7D vapor of this boot type (when new) does have my toes feather the end because I still have a brand new pair of vapor x7.0's in size 7D in my closet that I plan to use once my X:60s are dead (and the x7.0 is literally the exact same skate as the 09 x:60).

Do other people who have well broken in skates experience this much additional space in the toe after the skate has been used for several seasons?  If I were to go with a 6.5 (my brother wears a 6.5D supreme 1S which I have tried on) I feel like my toes would be uncomfortable (maybe not once they are broken in completely and the ankle padding fully compresses but I dont want to have to wait multiple seasons to be comfortable).

I just was wondering what feedback I get on this from the pro shop guys.

Other info if helpful, (I know shoe size is irrelevant but here it is):  Nike shoe 9, dress shoe generally 8.5, regular width foot.

I also have used graf 7R (toes feathering cap) and older ccm/rbk 7D (probably could have dropped to 6.5 in those right from the get go as they seemed to fit a bit longer than my vapors.

I have been playing hockey since I was 11 and am currently 34 and consider myself a very strong skater.

Thanks!

As long as your heel is locked, the amount of space at the toes is completely personal preference. I know great skaters that have a full cm of space at the end of their toes, while others have their toes curled up just to squeeze into the boot. 

If your heel is locked and you're not tripping over your toes, then the skate fits fine.