Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dangles83

Shins - QLT v Tacks

I love the protection of my ultra tacks shins; haven't blocked a shot that has hurt yet. Having said that, I would love to go a bit lighter, but worry that the QLT wouldn't be as protective. Anyone have experience to speak of?

Yes.  I have had both.  Between the two I was much mope comfortable in the Tacks - check my LTR on the QLT and you will see why.  In the end I decided the Tacks was too heavy and bulky and I downgraded to the 6052.  I've been happy with it.  They are lighter and comfy and plenty protective.

Thanks! I posted this prematurely; read your review after the fact. I inquired about the new super tacks coming out, but unfortunately they aren't any lighter. 

Haven't played in the QLTs but when I tried them on they were too shallow and narrow for my legs. The ultra tacks shins fit better and are more comfortable, ymmv etc.

If you like the way the tacks fit, but want to go lighter just get a set of lower end tacks shins. They get a lot lighter as they get cheaper, and you don't sacrifice too much in terms of protection. 1-2 tiers below top of the line will still get you a great shin pad, but it'll be a lot lighter than the top of the line deal and cheaper too.

According to icewarehouse ultra tacks are 750g, 6052s are 635g, and 4052s are 521g. By comparison QLT shins are 549g

I know this is old but in terms of the QLT, my son hated the new hinged knee cap.    Had RBZ prior and he thought he'd just slide right into the QLT.  Nope.  He thought it was really restrictive and it came off almost as fast as he put it on when he tried them on.  I also wonder how durable that plastic hinge will be.  Anyway, he ended up with the Tacks 7092 which he really likes.  He says they are extremely comfortable and he said the bulk doesn't bother him because they are so comfortable.  He says he likes how protected he feels in them also.  He tried a couple of other on, Bauer Vapor and Warrior Alpha but didn't like how the Bauer felt and the Warrior was too shallow.

58 minutes ago, stljrs said:

I know this is old but in terms of the QLT, my son hated the new hinged knee cap.    Had RBZ prior and he thought he'd just slide right into the QLT.  Nope.  He thought it was really restrictive and it came off almost as fast as he put it on when he tried them on.  I also wonder how durable that plastic hinge will be.  Anyway, he ended up with the Tacks 7092 which he really likes.  He says they are extremely comfortable and he said the bulk doesn't bother him because they are so comfortable.  He says he likes how protected he feels in them also.  He tried a couple of other on, Bauer Vapor and Warrior Alpha but didn't like how the Bauer felt and the Warrior was too shallow.

I really hope the next iteration of the "rbz" shins will go back towards the previous line in terms of features, fit, and comfort. I know these are all personal aspects, but from the feedback ive seen, almost everyone ive asked/talked to prefers the RBZ by several miles. 

The hinged knee on the QLT doesn't make any sense. It should only help to rotate if it's fixed at the top to the thigh. Most people don't tape around the top of their shins, which is the only thing I've seen which would come close to engaging the hinge the way it's meant to work. I like the lower profile of the shin portion of the QLT, but the knee is just way off the mark, drawn up as some clever solution to a problem that doesn't exist, in a way that doesn't even connect to how the piece is actually used.

The CL and RBZ protective lines are legendary across the board.

No clue what CCM was thinking with the QLT. Particularly on the shin pads. They basically took everything good about the RBZs (the strapping system, lack of an annoying thigh guard above the knee, standard knee flex) and said "yeah, let's give the consumer exactly what they don't want. 

I’m currently reviewing the latest iteration of the Tacks line, the Super Tacks. You’ll find it in the LTR section. I have sort of a love hate relationship with this pad. I love it because it so comfortable and the calf wrap is heavily padded. However I find the padding in the knee cap seriously lacking, which I just can’t stand.

I loved my RBZ’s. Thought CCM really had a winner there. No clue why they didn’t continue that line.

My Super Tacks will be arriving today and I'll be trying them out on Wednesday for the first time.  I've been wearing a pair of U+ CS's I found in a local pro shop last year that I like, but was never totally happy with (too narrow at the bottom, not much padding on the sides, and wasn't totally happy with the way the knee felt and thigh protector sat).  I was torn between the Tacks and QLT's for a long time and I think dkmiller3356's reviews were what steered me away from the QLT's since I felt they wouldn't be much better than my current shins.  

On 10/16/2017 at 5:12 AM, stick9 said:

I’m currently reviewing the latest iteration of the Tacks line, the Super Tacks. You’ll find it in the LTR section. I have sort of a love hate relationship with this pad. I love it because it so comfortable and the calf wrap is heavily padded. However I find the padding in the knee cap seriously lacking, which I just can’t stand.

I loved my RBZ’s. Thought CCM really had a winner there. No clue why they didn’t continue that line.

I had the same issue with my Reebok 20K Pros, and now wear the Bauer NG 37.5 Elite Goalie Padded Jock Pants behind the shin guard. Working out beautifully, I do not notice the extra bulk at all behind the knee of the shin (perhaps because as you mention, there is just no padding there).

Wore u+12 shins for about four years and just got qlt 270s. I've been in them for about three weeks. The fit is snug like others have stated. The hinge knee thing doesn't bother me all that much honestly. The calf wrap padding is great. To each his own.