Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sxharr05

How do YOU tie your skates?

This goes back quite a few years but is somewhat necessary information. Back in high school (1990 ish) when I was participating in ice hockey clinics I had it drilled into my head that your skates needed to be TIGHT at/above the ankle. Not a typical heel lock, but tight so there was no movement. I had even gone as far as to wrap my foot and ankle with an ace bandage before putting my skate on. When I started playing roller a few years after that I would secure my skates in the same manner. It never felt particularly RIGHT but it was what I learned. In fact looking back I'm fairly certain that this is the reason I could never get comfortable in (and learned to hate) my first pair of Missions.

Fast forward to 2013.  After nearly 20 years off ice I decided to get back into it. I initially started wrapping my ankles and cranking down the laces again. After hearing a couple guys talking about how they liked theirs tied (one guy could nearly slip his off they were laced so loosely) I decided to experiment. As of now, I'm comfortable with a tight instep and bend, but really don't crank down on the upright eyelets at all. I've learned to take advantage of the flexibility and turn it into maneuverability that I never enjoyed before. So now I'm planning on using the same lacing pressure point when in-line.  

So I suppose my question is do those of you who play both ice and roller tie your skates the same way? If not, why? Pros and cons to your preferred method?

Also: painted outdoor, smooth asphalt and sport court. Vapor ice and in-line, with a spare pair of Mission Axiom A.3 for kicking around.

I tie my skates just snug most of the way up and then fairly tight at the third and fourth eyelets from the top (near the bend in the foot) to help with heel lock. I leave the top two eyelets quite loose to allow for mobility and forward flex. I tie them the same way for both ice and roller hockey. 

Snug until the top eyelet. Inside out until the top eyelet which is outside in and I crank on that. Roller specific. If it's ice, same way but I don't use the top eyelet.

I do not tighten the roller hockey skates as tight for the last 2 eyelets as I do for ice.  I used to crank them both, but realized I liked a little more flex for roller hockey.

I could probably skate without laces in my VH, so... barely snug (actually quite loose at the bottom) and tighter as I go up. 

I tie them tight, warm up and get heat in the skates and then wrench them tight.

I find the tighter I have them the sharper they feel, gives me better power transfer and control.

I always can't help but wonder if those guys who crank on their laces are doing it because their skates don't fit well enough

Thanks for the replies. Interesting to see a few different preferences.

I managed to get some rink time this past week and decided to tie my Missions the same way I tie my Vapors when playing ice. Tight at the toes to the bend to get secure in the instep and heel while allowing flexibility in my ankles. Since it was my first time rolling in a little over a year it was awkward at first (probably would have been awkward anyway) but after warming up felt ok. I'm fairly confident that after a few sessions it will feel pretty comfortable. 

I tie mine tighter in the 3 eyelets by my toes, a bit looser by the arch of my foot, since that is where I get the most pain from constricted circulation, then very tight at the ankle, where I stop my laces. In response to IPv6Freely (great name btw), I have to tie them very tight since they get slimy and slippery as the game progresses and sweat accumulates. for this same reason I've switched from skating barefoot to with socks. I wish I could go back to barefoot but it gets too slippery, both from the wet environment and it's as if my foot loses volume as I sweat, or the skate chamber expands. This is 100% roller playing with an ice boot and mounted chassis. 

5 hours ago, SB39 said:

I tie mine tighter in the 3 eyelets by my toes, a bit looser by the arch of my foot, since that is where I get the most pain from constricted circulation, then very tight at the ankle, where I stop my laces.

If I had to put it percentage-wise (100% being toes turning black tight) I'd say 80 at the toes, 60 through the instep, 80 at the bend to lock the heel and 40-50 in the upright eyelets.

Took the kids to an indoor rink for public today so the Vapors came along. Felt about the same as my ice version and once warmed up (takes time at 44!) I was feeling real good in them. Just need to get used to some things (transitions, mostly) as it has been a while but we're off to a good start.

There is no difference between ice and roller to me. That might be cause goalie skates are flatter on the bottom, but for me it's 80-70-80-80, but I leave the top eyelet open for better "crouch-ability".

7 minutes ago, LowStoneWall32 said:

There is no difference between ice and roller to me. That might be cause goalie skates are flatter on the bottom, but for me it's 80-70-80-80, but I leave the top eyelet open for better "crouch-ability".

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be tying them up the same from now on unless some sort of issue crops up.

I wonder if maybe it's advancements in skate fit and stiffness over the years or if the guys running the clinics I attended were just ill-informed or whatever. Perhaps both?