Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shoot_the_goalie

Do TRUE sticks play whippier than CCM sticks?

Long time user of CCM sticks, and I find that they typically play true to their flex.  However, interested in the True XCore 9 or XC9 ACF.  Wondering how they were in terms of stiffness vs. CCM.  Heard they play whippier, anywhere from 5-10 flex.

I have both the XC9 ACF and the A6.0 SBP.  In my experience, the A series plays a bit whippier than rated (I'd say 5ish flex points), and the XC series is playing closer to the rated stiffness.  I don't notice major differences going between the XC9 ACF in 85 flex and the CCM sticks I have in 85 flex (Reckoner, SuperTacks). 

I've been using an XC9 recently.  Older stick was a CCM Tacks.  Tacks at 75 feels just a smidge whippier than the True XC9 85.  I don't know which is more accurate - but I do find the XC9 at 85 to be whippier than other 85s I've used.  Its actually the perfect whip for me.  If I didn't already know the flex rating of 85 - I would guess it at about 80 after cutting off an inch.

7 hours ago, tcraig said:

I have both the XC9 ACF and the A6.0 SBP.  In my experience, the A series plays a bit whippier than rated (I'd say 5ish flex points), and the XC series is playing closer to the rated stiffness.  I don't notice major differences going between the XC9 ACF in 85 flex and the CCM sticks I have in 85 flex (Reckoner, SuperTacks). 

I'll second this. I've had the A6.0, A5.2 and Xcore9 (originals) all in 95 flex. The Xcore9 felt noticeably stiffer than the A series at the same flex which would indicate the A series feels whippier.

If going with the ACF I'd stick with the same flex you use in CCM.

If going the A series you could stay at 85 or go up to 95 without too much trouble (IMO).

I have a Xcore 9 and CCM Ribcore 47k and a CCM RBZ Superfast. The Xcore9 definitely plays whippier. For me, I found it to be the closest  feeling stick to the Warrior QRL, which I love.

Which CCM stick do you have, Ribcore, SuperTacks, RBZ? I found the closest stick to the XCore 9 is the Supertacks.

FYI, take a look at this link http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/hockeyflexprofiles.php

It's a study done comparing the flex of 13 top end stick. Basically they measured flex in segments going from butt end to blade and made graphs using the measurements. 

I found that the sticks with graphs that were closest to the Warrior QRL tended to be the ones I liked most.

One last thing, the insert int the Xcore 9 is no hype. It definitely works.

Consensus is that CCM plays stiffer than other brands in comparable kickpoints at the same flex.

By that logic the True will feel whippier with the same number stamped on it.