Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

colins

Tacks 7092 Stick

Anyone tried a Tacks 7092 stick yet? I'm interested in trying out the new P30 curve but don't want to drop $300 on a Super Tacks 2.0.

I had a 6092 and its blade went soft/crunchy very shortly after the warranty period, and by that time it had very little use. I don't want a repeat of that experience.

The 7092 boasts a 12K weave blade, but other than that it doesn't seem to have much in the description that compares it to the new improvements in the Super Tacks 2.0 (no Sigmatex, no ACU2 Blade construction). Are CCM just downplaying the 7092 to push people up to the $300 price point, or is the 7092 just a rehashed 6092 with a 12K weave blade? How much difference will the 12K weave make to the durability if it's still just a hollow blade that had so much durability issues in the old Super Tacks line?

Thoughts/opinions?

colins

I think the 7092 also has the same attack frame blade design as the old ultra tacks. I don't think there were any issues with that, but not 100% sure.

Also the 7092 has the dual flex zones. That wasn't on the 6092. 

well, considering the stick just came out Friday, I've had 1 game with it and it seems like a decently fine stick, definitely feels like a mid-range stick, there's gotta be some fiberglass in it. literally can't talk about durability cause its  5 days old. the pop is just okay but I come from a world of low-kick sticks so it could just be adjustment for me. 

the p30 curve is nice, zero adjustment coming from p88s.

17 hours ago, innotastic said:

well, considering the stick just came out Friday, I've had 1 game with it and it seems like a decently fine stick, definitely feels like a mid-range stick, there's gotta be some fiberglass in it. literally can't talk about durability cause its  5 days old. the pop is just okay but I come from a world of low-kick sticks so it could just be adjustment for me. 

the p30 curve is nice, zero adjustment coming from p88s.

It's listed at 465g, so it's not going to compete with any of the top of the line models. But how's the balance? 

I went looking for one today, but it seems the P30 in the new line hasn't made it's way everywhere yet... even some of the online retailers in Canada are showing it as 'back ordered' in the P30.

colins

On a related note, I received my Super Tacks 2.0 today from a warranty claim I had opened back in March. There was no remaining stock of Super Tacks, so they offered to send a Super Tacks 2.0 if we waited until the release. 

The blade is superb, from a construction POV. I haven't played it yet so I don't know how the blade feels with the puck, but I think the new blade design is going to be a bit hit for CCM if it proves to be durable as it appears.

colins

14 hours ago, colins said:

It's listed at 465g, so it's not going to compete with any of the top of the line models. But how's the balance? 

I went looking for one today, but it seems the P30 in the new line hasn't made it's way everywhere yet... even some of the online retailers in Canada are showing it as 'back ordered' in the P30.

colins

balance is fine, its a good stick and up to par with modern mid-range sticks

I'm in the same boat wanna try p30.  Saw it yesterday.  I use p28 and it's pretty much a closed p28.

im debating if I want the tacks p30 or stay with p28 and get an alpha qx

Just got a 7092 with the P30. I have not used it yet, but it feels super light. I am definitely not one to buy high end sticks (cannot see spending $300 for a stick that has less durability), but I have certainly shot with my share at the Hockey Monkey range. This has a similar balance/ weight feel as the QRlL or Surgeon RX2.

From about July 2016-June 2017, I was using the STX Surgeon RX2.1, which lists as lighter than the 7092, but feels way heavier than 7092. For the past month, I have been using this Titan retro stick that I got for $20 from Total Hockey, which I think lists as about 15 grams heavier than the 7092, but the Titan feels a pound heavier than the 7092. I do not expect to play again for a few days, will provide impressions when I actually get out there with with the 7092. 

I used the CCM Tacks 7092 sat pickup today, without the STX RX2 extension (in the pic below), just to get a feel for the stick. I am not thrilled about the "philosophy" behind the taper of the CCM Super Tacks 2.0 family: stiff hosel, and whippy handle, when it comes to shooting. My release just feels a lot slower than when I use a low kick stick, and since I mostly shoot wristshots, this does not seem to be the stick for me. Also, since I cut down my stick (and am placing an extension on top of the cut down), I am messing up the intention of the stick with this whippy handle. I like the P30 curve though, makes stickhandling/ passing/ shooting easy (or perhaps, it is the stick, plus the curve? Hard to ferret out these details as I have never used a CCM or this curve). If I had my perfect stick, I would have a P30 curve, Warrior QRL (maybe Alpha QX) shaft whippiness profile, and the RX2 shaft geometry. I do not get to customize like this though; so, until then/ for my next time out there, I will be using what's posted below.

Quick note on installation of the extension (if anyone is interested)- I noticed that the bottom of the extension was really grinding the shaft as I was forcing it in there. As I heard the squeal, I thought, "I should have filed down that part of the extension that mirrors the PUREGRIP of an STX shaft, but does not apply to a traditional shaft. I will know for next time- no big deal as I do not see myself falling in love with the 7092 stick (I still like the idea though, and will be putting these extensions on other sticks, if STX does not make a P30 curve).

wtWxUg1.jpg

So, in my first game with this stick, I was careful NOT to take any clappers in warmups, and jut figured, "99% of the clappers I take are in warmups, so if I cut that out, then this blade should be fine."

For whatever reason, I ended up playing D all game in this pickup, and ended up taking 2 big clappers when they were just the appropriate play (missed the net on both- my fault/ not the fault of the stick). 

I just undid my tape job to retape and was examining the blade, and right where I took the clappers, the stick is already splintering. WOW- that was fast. This damage was definitely NOT there prior to the pickup, as I received a damaged stick in the mail (looks like it was slightly used by guys in the stockroom/ warehouse), and exchanged it for a new one in store. 

Maybe I got a bad blade? I doubt it. I think that this blade is not not made to withstand normal hockey play (which is, by nature, abusive to gear). Coincidentally, the damage point at the stick that I returned for this one, was in the same place (where my thumb is):

LATE EDIT - Just to put it into perspective. I have been using 2 STX Surgeon RX2.1s - different flexes and curves just to try stuff- anyway- I have been very hard on these sticks- clappers in warmups, blocked hard shots with them at the hosel and blade etc. I think I damaged the blade pretty good one one- finally- after a full year of abuse, but I only notice it when I take slapshots (and the puck does not fly as it should) - otherwise the stick is perfectly usable. The other stick is 100% strong. So, without regard for these sticks, they are still going strong. And this stick, after 2 slapshots, is showing damage. I am disappointed, mostly because I just love that curve (and perhaps the blade actually has great puck feel). I mean for the first time that I can recall, I felt very comfortable being patient, putting my head up, surveying the ice, and making passes. Maybe I was "in the zone," (I have been playing alot recently) maybe my opponents were dogging it, or maybe it actually was "the arrow."

20fkW67.jpg

I got the 7092 with the P30 blade almost 2 weeks. I have used ccm sticks almost exclusively for over 10 years, with most of the recent ones being from the RBZ line and all with the P40 curve. 

I was a little unhappy about the change in blade pattern but figured I would give it try. I have used the stick for 3 easy pick-up skates and one game. 

The initial feel and balance of the stick are good and about what I would expect. 

I have found the new curve to be challenging to get used to. In some ways, I like it better. The extra toe curve helps a bit with toe drags and keeping the puck on sharp turns. When I fully load up a snap-shot it comes off nice and smooth. I was surprised how much I enjoyed the feel. I have not taken many slap shots, but the few I have taken have felt fine. Passes, making and receiving, have all felt very good. 

I do not think wrist shots are as good, or at least are being affected by the new curve for me. The biggest challenge I am having is the in-close fast snap-shot. I am spraying that thing all over the place (typically high) and feel like I have no control at all. And, in pick up, I seem to use that shot often. I can make the adjustments in warm-ups to control it (somewhat) but during game play, my instincts take over and other players have reason to fear where it might go. I suspect I will be able to adjust, but it is quite an adjustment. I was hoping the straight face of the P30, would help temper the effect of the toe curve over the slightly open P40 but for me, that has not been the case.

My biggest concern matches Cosmic's concerns. The one game I played left the stick with a decent size chip on the toe of the blade. I couldn't recall anything special happening during game play to cause it, which leads me to think it may have chipped from general play, and it was not a game I would have expected much wear on my stick. It has not had an impact on the playability, yet, but is something I am concerned about. 

All in all, I think the stick is OK and I need more time to get used to the new curve. Assuming the stick has reasonable durability I would purchase the stick again if I could get the P40 curve. Right now, I can't say I would buy it again with the P30, but that may change if I can adjust make the required adjustments. 

I just filed for warranty. CCM is shipping me out a new stick (and letting me keep the one that has the splintering heel, which I will epoxy, and see how it goes from there). I am concerned that the replacement will have the same outcome, but we will see. I wonder if the Super Tacks 2.0 has the "reinforcement" material necessary to withstand hockey. I quote "reinforcement," because I do not think that we should need reinfoced anything, to keep our gear from disintegrating after standard wear and tear. No disrespect to CCM- I love CCM and just about all of my gear is CCM, just in this one case, I think that the blade of the 7092 may be too soft, and the resin or material or whatever is used for this, needs to be hardened; but we do not need extra over what should be a good enough resin, in my non-manufacturing/ non-expert opinion.

9 hours ago, polarbearoption said:

I do not think wrist shots are as good, or at least are being affected by the new curve for me. The biggest challenge I am having is the in-close fast snap-shot. I am spraying that thing all over the place (typically high) and feel like I have no control at all. And, in pick up, I seem to use that shot often. I can make the adjustments in warm-ups to control it (somewhat) but during game play, my instincts take over and other players have reason to fear where it might go. I suspect I will be able to adjust, but it is quite an adjustment. I was hoping the straight face of the P30, would help temper the effect of the toe curve over the slightly open P40 but for me, that has not been the case.

Have you ever tried the P28? I love shooting pull wrist shots with the P28, I just struggle with puck pickups with the thing, and shooting pucks that just show up on my stick one timer like, I find to be an issue as compared to the P88 (which I do not shoot pull wrist shots well at all with, but which serves the rest of my game kinda ok enough). If you do not enjoy shooting pull wristers with the P28, then I guess I am not surprised that you do not love this in the P30.

I own a Super Tacks 2.0 but in a junior. I've played one game with it and have been to three stick and puck sessions. At stick and puck I shot with it for 6 hrs plus, taking all types of shots and really leaning into the stick to flex it. Haven't notice any damage. But for me I line the bottom and tops of my blade with strips of hockey tape, so the actual surface of the blade doesn't actually touch the ice. I've changed the tape three times, but didn't notice any damage. BTW I'm 5'5 180lbs.