Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jmiro

Next step for U8 program help!

Long and short of it is i need some feedback regarding my son this fall.

He started ice skating around thanksgiving. He has been in lessons once a week since then and has tested into the rinks power skating program.  He completed the little penguins learn to play. Currently is finishing up 3 on 3 scrimage with skills. 45 min of game 45 min of skill this was a 12 week program.  We attend stick and shoots several times a month.  He has been one of the better players/skaters in all of the above. His skating has progress superfast. Shooting not so much and stick handling is ok.  The following are the programs that are available.

In house learn to play league.  Cross ice and almost identical to 3 on 3 with one session of practice and a game one aweek.

Elementary league that is full ice with practice once a week and travel (not to far 2 1/2 hours tops).

Or the U8 tavel team which his freinds play. Once again not far and it includes inhouse league.

Yes he will continue skating lessons.  Concern one is he will not grow with in house beacuse he is already one of the better players with them and he turns 8 in october. He does not have much expeirence playing the game.  I think if it were up to the coaches he would play travel.  I also dont want to burn him out.

Thanks in advance

I have 2 skaters, I've always told them what opportunities they have and they drive the decisions.  

My younger one has played travel hockey since she was 8(played house for 2 years before that) & now plays travel for both 12U boys and 14U girls.  She'd play every day if I'd let her, wants to do anything to get on the ice as much as possible.

My son has played since he was 8, didn't play his first year of travel until he was 16 and now plays ACHA D1 for the University of Utah.  He really didn't get a high drive to develop until he started playing High School hockey, just wanted to play in games, dreaded practice, never wanted to go to S&P or drop in.  At 16 it became constant drop in, private lessons, camps etc.

Guess my point is, IMO, kids should choose their route, not parents.  I could be wrong, but that's my opinion.

2.5 hours sounds like it'd turn out to be a lot.  (But my whole state is barely 3 hours end to end). I wouldn't recommend full ice, just from my experience with kids in general.  I'd say it's a toss-up between the house league or playing with his friends. What he wants between those two.