Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kgbeast

KHL Preseason tournaments 2017

Sochi Hockey Open could be a good summer time hockey watch, but unfortunately, it is not really covered by anyone so only place where I found I can watch it is on youtube. Only Russian commentator or no comentator option, which makes it a bit of a drag to watch at least to me.  

This being a KHL tournament, Team Canada and Team Russia teams appear to be entirely made up of KHL players. I think only the goalies in Canadian team are not from KHL. I expected at least some OHL/AHL presence, but I guess not.  They do call it Olympic team here and there, but looks like a different roster will play in Puchkov's tournament and after that, Canadian organization will pick the better performing players from both, perhaps add some OHL/AHL players in it and that will be the actual Olympic team. Russian team is called Russia-2 and is also referred to as Olympic team, but I doubt this will be it either. They have pretty good players on that, but in reality only goalies are pretty prominent.

Canada vs Russia was a pretty good game with Shestyorking being a much better goalie. Plus Russia had pretty good defense, even in pretty lengthy 3 on 5 Canada could not capitalize.. Russia has won that game 4-3. There were no goals in the 3rd period after a line brawl at the conclusion of the 2nd which resulted in starting lines on the bench with a couple of players ejected. Overall, the quality of the game was of a level of the average NHL game in October (not really hot). Officiating was pretty steep. Both teams spend quite a bit in the box. Cross-checking, roughing, holding, fighting were given zero tolerance.

Pretty interesting thing was that the rink was not netted all the way up, but just about 10'-15' or so all around. While no pucks were sent out flying in the spectators during the game, the organizers made sure to fix that. A couple of chaps with puck-shooting guns came out in the second intermission and lobbed off a dozen of what appeared to be full size hockey pucks out in the stands. In lesser sports, they would do this with t-shirts, but in the mans game you got to keep audience on their toes I guess. Either way, I expect St.Pet's SKA vs Russia-2 be a much more interesting game based on Ska vs HC Sochi was a pretty good game.