Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crispy92

Help me diagnose skate fit

So maybe about 3 years ago I bought a pair of alkali Shifts in a size 9.5. At the time thought I was a 10.5 normal shoe so seemed like the Right choice. Now that I'm getting slightly older I'm starting to realize I'm much closer to a size 10. I

Fast forward to today and I've played maybe 30 games with these skate and just put them on for the first time in maybe 2 years. Now they feel just kinda unstable. I have been playing ice in sz9 makos which I think are the perfect skate and gods gift to society and going back to roller can't seem to get that same sense of stability. Is it more then likely that I could achieve this stability feeling by getting alkalis in a smaller size or should I seek a totally different skate?

P.S between alkali shift + and max+ is there much of a weight difference from the frame?

16 hours ago, goalieman39 said:

It might also be the stiffness of the former skate vs the Mako. Going from a stiff boot to a less stiff one can contribute to that

I actually think they're relatively close in stiffness. It's just that the mako feels like it wraps my foot better meanwhile the alkalis are so stiff by the eyelets that they don't really conform to the foot as well

23 minutes ago, crispy92 said:

I actually think they're relatively close in stiffness. It's just that the mako feels like it wraps my foot better meanwhile the alkalis are so stiff by the eyelets that they don't really conform to the foot as well

Have you heat molded them? Sometimes heat molding can help wrap the eyelets over

7 hours ago, goalieman39 said:

Have you heat molded them? Sometimes heat molding can help wrap the eyelets over

I believe I did. If I remember as well I did them at home in my oven. I just went to a local pure hockey and didn't have much time but got to try on some nls1's and got down to an 8.5 and my toe barely touched the front for a comparison 

On 9/12/2017 at 8:45 PM, crispy92 said:

I believe I did. If I remember as well I did them at home in my oven. I just went to a local pure hockey and didn't have much time but got to try on some nls1's and got down to an 8.5 and my toe barely touched the front for a comparison 

I think it's probably a combination then of them being too big and not wrapped over like your makos then.

2 hours ago, goalieman39 said:

I think it's probably a combination then of them being too big and not wrapped over like your makos then.

So maybe try baking them again before looking for new skates?